• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you Describe Yourself as a *Gamer*?

CliCliW

I have a Ph.D in Horribleness.
Years
  • I guess I'd fall more into the side of casual gaming. I'm a strictly offline person because I can't get my 3DS to connect for gaming, and other than that I have a Playstation 2, so much as I'd love to trade Pokemon or Visit others' towns in Animal Crossing, it doesn't really happen :(

I do like to aim for 100% completion of some games, like that of Jak and Daxter, Sly Raccoon, Spyro, Crash Bandicoot, etc, but if I can't (*cough* Crash *cough*) then it doesn't bother me too much.

I think more than anything I'd consider myself semi-serious, but not hardcore. I like to be able to immerse myself in a game when I've nothing else to do.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Even when training for a tournament, most of the time I'm a carefree gamer. I won't get mad unless I'm in a tournament match. I'm only competitive and really into a game when a tournament's on the line. Besides that I'm casual and play the games at a nice easy pace.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Gaming is a hobby of mine, but I wouldn't say I'm hardcore. I spend just about every day playing games because it's fun and I love it. <3

So usually I'm just a casual gamer, and rather carefree when I'm playing, unless it's competitive. Sometimes I get more serious with harder difficulties, but otherwise I just go at my own pace and enjoy it.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • When it's games like singleplayer games, I'm usually pretty chill, not too serious, very casual.

But when it comes to games even with a tiny bit of pressure and online coop with other people I just, no. Serious Gamer on, like super hardcore gamer on, its get good or get out.

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Passionate Casual. Haven't played much of this gen, but god damn do I have a large obscure PS2/DS/Wii Collection going on. A lot of core stuff, not a lot of casual stuff. But yeah, I don't do much online gaming, so that's why I'd say casual.

Years
  • I'm a passionate simulation and strategy gamer. I have a bias toward specific sim and strategy games and franchises, though. Sim City is something I'll always take a look at even if the latest iteration turns to be a total disaster. I won't look at it if it's a version that's not been released for the PC, though. I have expectations for city simulation games and console iterations have rarely met that moving target of expectations.

I do like to dip into other genres occasionally, but I still am a simulation and strategy gamer first and foremost.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
  • I'm a pretty casual gamer that takes a few games very seriously. I don't play a lot of games, but I mainly stick to strategy and puzzle games. I enjoy games with a competitive atmosphere (such as Pokemon and Mario Kart), but that can also be laid back and fun. All in all, I'm a casual gamer with a competitive side.

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
    Years
  • I'm more of an all-around type of gamer. I play a mixture of genres, ranging from FPS to Role-playing games. I'm usually a completionist, trying to grab all of the 'achievements/trophies' I can in a game, depending on the console/handheld/PC I'm playing on.

For Pokemon, my outside goal, besides beating the League, is to get all of my team to Lvl. 100. Then I usually take a picture as a keep sake and start again with a new starter and form a new team.

Enough about that though. When it comes to Singleplayer stuff, or Co-op, I'm very casual. Like, you could team kill me and I wouldn't even care. I might bust your chops for doing a deed, and never let you live it down, but I could care less.

When I get on the multiplayer scene, however, I'm pretty competitive, with a slight hint of casual. I try to play for fun, but my underlying goal is to win at all costs. I'll sometimes get hot headed and very frustrated, but other times I could be having the time of my life, joking about the enemy team and their shenanigans.

Years
  • As much as I would like to be considered a "hardcore" gamer, I'm not by any means D: Guess I'm more in the casual category mainly because I haven't gone to the extremes for any certain game and don't take anything too seriously. Never participated in tournaments of any kind because I know I'm not at the level everyone else would be. Also, single players are my favourite and are preferred over multiplayer because I cannot stand other people shouting at me when we're on the same or opposite team -.- Though I am a bit of a completionist when it comes to any type of game; I like to search actively for the collectibles, acquire all job classes, etc.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I never really call myself a gamer because (story time incoming, js) my friend and I were on Omegle on her birthday last year and she would try to impress guys with the N64 she got. She was like "we're gamer guuuuurls!!!" and I was thinking, "do you even know ten N64 games...go away..." So lol because of that, I tend to stay away from the term, even though those of you without that embarrassment would probably put me in that category.

As much as I am a casual player, I'd say I'm hardcore when it comes to Pokemon. I don't do competitive, but I'm constantly restarting my games and coming up with new ways to play, as evident in my pride and joy forum, Challenges.

But I have to say, my greatest passion in video gaming, as great as playing is, is learning. I love to do all my homework on different games and series that interest me, even the games I haven't played yet. I love learning video game history, checking out concept art, reading about origins of names for series, learning about the history in the series itself, and the list goes on. Anything about the hardware to the games themselves, I love to just submerge myself in their rich stories and history, as well as play them of course! Sometimes I find it more relaxing just to read, speculate, and come up with headcanons. But all that being said, I think that a gaming historian is my best title. Nothing excites me more than learning about crazy video game history.

Goo

Fiction is an improvement on life
    Years
  • Gonna have to say that as a female, I'm gonna have to agree with Everlark and say I dont want to be thought of as a gamer. I just play games. I play a lot of games and I often spend food money on games. I guess I'm a hardcore lifestyler non-gamer.

Years
  • i consider myself a very casual gamer although it was not like that recently. i used to be so competitive that many things broke after a loss in madden or call of duty. since those times i've calmed it down with games that would make me rip my hair out and instead went for games that, yes required much strategy and thinking (like fire emblem and pokemon), but were more rewarding in a sense that i don't just get a high kill/death ratio. i still play those competitive games sometimes but go into them with a much more casual approach. i play video games whenever i get the chance and always look to expand my vast collection when i have the funds.

Fernbutter

Murder is the way.
    Years
  • Warning! Hardcore gamer has been detected

I would say that I enjoy Video games as much as the next person, but it seems that in just short periods of time I became one of the most toughest gamers on my own, I get too serious at times and just try to do everything possible in the game and in a way I think of that as an achievement but I know that being a OCD driven completionist isn't what you would call a gamer.

Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    I hate the phase gamer as it makes people who play games, whatever casually or 8 hours a day, seem like a addict and completely obsessed with games. We don't call someone who reads a lot of books a 'reader' or someone who watches TV as a 'watcher'. Saying 'a person who plays video games' seems to be much less negative and doesn't really talk down as much.

I usually play RPGs and Platfomers but also like to play many other games like Action and FPS.

mangamusicfan

The Lost one.
    Years
  • Im A pretty good gamer.
    Like rpg games the most, Play many many genre's.
    Most of the time I play game's on Nintendo console's I like there stuff the most.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I like anything that I enjoy playing. My favorite games range from Pokemon (obviously lol), Harvest Moon, Red Dead Redemption, Katamari, Gears of War, Mirror's Edge, BioShock, LittleBigPlanet, etc.

If I like it, I'll play it!

Back