• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Emulators or Real Consoles?

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
  • The thread Old Consoles and Hanhelds made me think of this question.

Let's have a situation where you want to play games on older console/handheld you do not own but there's an emulator for that hardware. But on the other hand, you could CFW (custom firmware == you could play downloaded games) the console/handheld in question as well.

Would you buy the hardware and play downloaded games or would you use emulators?

Shadowraze

ur mum
    Years
  • I'd rather use emulators since I don't really have money to buy the games (unless I'm really interested in the game) even if I have the console/handheld for it. Plus you can do many things with the game if you play it in an emulator. ;)

Railgun

Ever Day Another New Adventure
    Years
  • Real since I respect the dev and the time put into the projects

TY

I only emulate if there is no other option for me, if there is i'll just buy that system to play it.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Real, **** piracy. It's a crime.

On the other hand, genuine emulators (as in your ripped your own console and games), then that's absolutely fine, and in some cases, pretty great. Especially with the Wii and Gamecube.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    I prefer real stuff, since emulators and ROMs are still a bit over my head. And I have a slight preference for consoles and handhelds over PCs for gaming.

Years
  • I've personally never used an emulator before, and don't plan to mainly because I feel like it doesn't warrant the same feeling that a real console would \: That's just my personal preference though. Even though they cost hundreds of dollars, I appreciate the efforts of developers and such enough to buy it.

Years
  • When at all possible, I'd much prefer to play old games on an actual console, since the experience never seems to be the same on an emulator. This is probably the biggest reason why I don't play emulated Pokemon games, since it just feels strange sitting at my computer using a keyboard to play. On the flip side, I do get a fair bit of use out of my Sega Genesis emulator, since I don't have my original any more, and I don't trust going out and buying a 20-25 year old system that may not last me very long.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Of course I'd prefer a real console, but if I really have no choice I use an emulator.
    I guess there's always a choice, but by that I just meant, if I suddenly really want to play a GBA game or PS2, I'll use an emulator since those things don't exist in my home anymore.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I only emulate if there is no other option for me, if there is i'll just buy that system to play it.
    Same goes with me. I only emulate when there is no other option to access to a game. Plus - and this is just my view - I've always valued being able to hold a physical copy of an item (whether video game related or music related) instead of something digital.

Although if you own the game already and want to make it portable - such as playing it on your laptop or phone - I see no issue in emulating it.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I'd like to play on a console. I just like holding console controllers more than computer emulators and stuff. It just seems more official.

Years
  • It depends. I prefer play again old games of Pokémon or of other saga, for example, on my Game Boy just because of the nostalgia. It's a different feeling than playing on emulator. But i don't mind play games that i never played on a emulator, it's more accessible. And I am poor.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
    Years
  • I'll always prefer playing any game on the console. I have been guilty of, and probably will so too in the feature, playing downloaded games on emulators, but the experience is just never the same. I realised that when finally getting to play Pokemon Black 2 quite a while ago. I often get tired of playing Pokemon games on emulators rather quickly, but that wasn't the case when I played it on the actual console. And it isn't just a question of whether it's something I'd played before or not, because I tried B/W on the emulator as well, and I didn't really enjoy that either.

But yeah, when it comes to old consoles/old games; I'll of course look to see if there are any/any to affordable prices, and if I already have the console, I'm much more likely to go buy the game. But in case there isn't anything, I'm more likely to emulate it D:

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • I greatly prefer actual consoles since that's how the game was intended to be experienced. But in certain circumstances, such as when the game is rarer than a shiny Pokemon, I'll emulate it for the experience. Or when I want to make some tweaks to make it more interesting, like I am for White 2 or I did for Expert Emerald (I do <3 that hack). I need challenge mode from the start and a trainer sprite that doesn't hurt my eyes. I also get to pick my team!

But yeah that's a rare exception that usually applies to Pokemon exclusively.

Captain Gizmo

Monkey King
    Years
  • I'd go for consoles over emulators any day. Playing on an emulator doesn't have the same feeling as playing on a console. I only use emulators when I have no other options such as I don't have the console to play the game.

ie, I can't play Pokemon Gold, Silver, Crystal since I have no GBA/GBSP/GB to get those cartridges so I have to resort to emulators.

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • I would buy the respective systems to play ye olde games. I don't get the same joy or satisfaction by playing games on emulators as opposed to the ports the games are in.

This is me. I just don't find playing emulators fun. I still have all of my old systems to play their respective games on. And the piracy thing is silly in this situation. I know on paper it is illegal, but if a game isn't being produced anymore, the developer/publisher don't get a dime whether I play an emulator or buy it from a used game shop.

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2016
    The real thing.
    Generally, I love playing multiplayer games, and the real things are the best.
    Especially Mario Party, haha. So much rage.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • For me, nothing beats owning a console, having the controller (or handheld) in the palms of my hand, and playing the game that way. I'm not even a fan of downloading things on Virtual Console, because I'm not playing the games on their original console, but sometimes you gotta do it. I'm big on collecting things and I feel a sense of accomplishment in owning my games and having a physical copy to hold. It bugs me when I can't get boxes though...especially for games I love. (Looking at you, Jak 3.)

The only reason I downloaded an emulator for my PC was to play Mother 3, since that's the only way I can play it. It's a shame too, because that's my favorite game of all time. I have a Mac now, and Macs + emulators = let's not even try so I basically can't play Mother 3 anymore. :( But other than that, it's consoles for me.

Back