• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Pokémon General Daily Chit-Chat. Join in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Hopefully the 6th Gen would have more exciting spinoffs to come. Pokémon games such as Stadium were good for "all game battling" where you could combine teams from all other games. Kind of miss those.

Colloseum and XD were fantastic as well, but frankly unless Nintendo makes a home console as powerful as the PS4 there's no use releasing stuff in the Wii U. 3DS has sort of become all-purpose now.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Isn't Wii U graphics processor (or something along the lines) supposed to be more advanced than Wii, though? Wii's isn't better than GameCube's, or so I've heard, since it's been using the same one.

uoneko

space princess
Years
i was a huge fan of colosseum when it was first released. battle revolution was nothing in comparison imo

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 12, 2024
You know, I was never a huge spinoff game player. :x It's not that I didn't care for them, but neither Colosseum or Mystery Dungeon was to my taste and others just never held the same charm or appeal. Pokemon Snap.. on the other hand... hehehe

I also kinda liked Pokemon Conquest because the sprite work was gorgeous.

Years
  • Age 36
  • ?
  • Seen Jan 16, 2016
I honestly tried to like conquest...I was the only one of my friends who had it. The art was lovely...everything else needed work

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
Years
I'm not someone for spin offs...I've only played PMD: Blue/Red Rescue Team to the end, and that was on an emulator with cheats on because I was killing time and playing for teh luls. Pokemon Stadium/Stadium 2 were appealing to me too, but I didn't get much time with them. :\

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
I think Im not alone when I say: Spinoff Games did not appeal to me whatsoever.

Pokemon Rangers, never touched it, thought it was garbage
Pokemon Snap, and Hey You Pikachu, and things of that nature never played because didn't have nintendo consoles at the time, and still don't today.
Only one I even remotely liked was Pokemon Stadium. As said previously, I really like combining things from all the reigons, and it's something I'd like to see in a Pokemon game today, a main series one. Although, that may be one too many pokemon, I still sit idly by waiting for the day that will never happen when we get Pokemon Stadium 3.

Years
The only spinoffs I'm not a huge fan of are Dash (then again, who DOES like it?) and the Ranger trilogy (given, I would play Almia again). They just didn't appeal to me whatsoever and had barely any replay value. (Unless, say, I picked them up again many years later.) Those games aside, I love all the other ones I've played, and will gladly purchase more spinoffs. The Detective Pikachu game looks like it might be promising (not fond of the fact that I have to play as Pikachu, but eh, so long as the rest of it's good it doesn't matter to me), and the Thousand Thieves one for the movie doesn't really look that good ;; Hoping for a new PMD on the handhelds and maybe another spinoff with a gameplay style that hasn't been done before in Pokemon.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
One thing that chased me off Ranger series is its over-world and tile-set style; to me, they were pretty big. If they were small as main series games, I feel that it would have been a lot more preferable. Another thing would be battling system; I really didn't like using my stylus to battle Pokémon. If it were more similar to main games, more people would've liked it, I'm sure.

If they are to ever re-launch Pokémon Ranger at some point in future, I'd really like them to make these changes.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Hopefully the 6th Gen would have more exciting spinoffs to come. Pokémon games such as Stadium were good for "all game battling" where you could combine teams from all other games. Kind of miss those.

Colloseum and XD were fantastic as well, but frankly unless Nintendo makes a home console as powerful as the PS4 there's no use releasing stuff in the Wii U. 3DS has sort of become all-purpose now.
Disagree - Wii U is plenty a step up in power, and would be able to do a game like Colosseum in 'current' graphics. While the 3DS is doing very well, the Wii U might be improving with sales ever since MK8 came out, and with more games on the way too... basically, I'll just say that there's still merit in having (another) Pokemon spinoff on the Wii U. Already had a Rumble/Scramble game.
Isn't Wii U graphics processor (or something along the lines) supposed to be more advanced than Wii, though? Wii's isn't better than GameCube's, or so I've heard, since it's been using the same one.
I would have thought the Wii was better than the GCN? But yes, the Wii U >>> Wii with graphics. Wii U is plenty powerful enough for games; less powerful than other consoles, sure, but it's not all about power.
One thing that chased me off Ranger series is its over-world and tile-set style; to me, they were pretty big. If they were small as main series games, I feel that it would have been a lot more preferable. Another thing would be battling system; I really didn't like using my stylus to battle Pokémon. If it were more similar to main games, more people would've liked it, I'm sure.

If they are to ever re-launch Pokémon Ranger at some point in future, I'd really like them to make these changes.
Ranger for me was Circles of Friendship: the game. XD Not sure if they should have been the same gamestyle - be too much like the main games but be a worse product and you won't do too well. And Game Freak probably won't like it either. =p Colosseum and XD while having the same game mechanics did differentiate (no routes, shadow pokemon, double battles all the time, etc), and Battle Sims on home console for Pokemon have been around since Stadium. But on this topic, if they changed the game style for Ranger, then it... wouldn't really be ranger any more, it'd be something else. Not necessarily a bad thing, and changing style from game to game has happened with other franchises, but if they ever do another Ranger thing I would expect the same sort of gameplay.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
Disagree - Wii U is plenty a step up in power, and would be able to do a game like Colosseum in 'current' graphics. While the 3DS is doing very well, the Wii U might be improving with sales ever since MK8 came out, and with more games on the way too... basically, I'll just say that there's still merit in having (another) Pokemon spinoff on the Wii U. Already had a Rumble/Scramble game.

I see your point. I never thought that Game Freak would still go on with Wii U after starting their 3DS log, though. I guess that just shows that home consoles like Wii U always depend on the quality of the games made for it, not the capacity of the console itself.

bobandbill

one more time
Years
I see your point. I never thought that Game Freak would still go on with Wii U after starting their 3DS log, though. I guess that just shows that home consoles like Wii U always depend on the quality of the games made for it, not the capacity of the console itself.
Ah, well, that's a different case. Game Freak won't go, and stated as much that they don't care for developing for the home consoles for Pokemon. I suppose that's because they're quite comfortable with the handhelds, making money doing what they've been doing for years. And part of the success of the main games have come from being on the handhelds. I doubt they'd make a Pokemon spinoff - between their smaller projects and splitting their main group in two to work on the main Pokemon titles, they're probably quite busy as it is.

However, Colosseum and XD (and all those other spinoffs for that matter) are done by other companies, so it's up to them and the Pokemon Company. Maybe Game Freak get some say, but there's plenty of other companies that could make a Wii U game.

Pokemon spinoffs have been hit and miss. So if a battle sim or the like is made I'd hope it's good. And has Miror B

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
And has Miror B

Hah. Game characters of spinoffs were (mostly) more colourful than mainstream Pokémon characters, that's for sure. PMD was for one having in a darker theme of Pokémon, and actually was set off from humans in general. One reason why spinoffs are awesome is because they're out-of-the-box. I think Pokémon spinoffs are aimed at those Pokémon fans who've played the mainstream games and like the concept, so they would like a fresh change in the perception of everything.

Braxien

Banned
Years
I think that Game Freak could release another version of PokéPark on the Wii U, but those games never appealed to me even though I am an avid Pokémon player who likes most games from the franchise.

Contradicting what I said about liking most games within the franchise (heh, heh ...), I absolutely hate any of the Spinoff Games. The only part which made me push on until the end were the colourful characters.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023
Speaking of spin-offs, have any of you guys played Ruby and Sapphire Pinball game (can't pinpoint the exact name)? I wound up buying it due to how much I was in love with Hoenn back then, and it was actually pretty fun; wound up being very addicted to it. Personally, I think it would've been great if they had continued this series, and created a pinball game for every generation. They might not do that well in sales (judging from R/S one), but if they keep it at a minimum, I'm sure that wouldn't be an issue.

Silver Soul of Johto

Journey's end
Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen Apr 10, 2016
I remember wanting Pokemon pinball, but never getting it. I eventually got my cousin's old copy, and the rumble pack didn't work

Years
Miror B needs to return; I like his character and love his VS themes ;-;

I never owned the original Pinball, though my cousin lent it to me at one point. Also downloaded the ROM at some point as well. I was absolutely terrible at it both on my GBA and on an emulator XD As for Pinball RS, I received it for my birthday, though I later gave it to the same cousin who loaned me the original. I also got the ROM for it so I could play it on my computer. I sucked at it at first, but I've gotten much better, and now I love playing it <3 Really loved the Ruby course a lot; I have a bit more trouble on the Sapphire one, haha.

Years
I remember trying the R/S Pinball game at some point on an emulator, though I can't say that I was a fan of it. Granted, it's been a number of years since I tried it so my opinion my have changed, but I never really cared for spinoff pinball games like that (another big one that comes to mind is Sonic Spinball- I hated that game as a kid, haha).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back