• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: ROM Hacking Daily Chit Chat

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Nov 19, 2023
they run hella fast in my computers, and that's saying a lot since I have vista. I just speed up the games and it's awesome

Shiny Quagsire

I'm Still Alive, Elsewhere
Years
I agree $NOGBA and Desume always lagged for me but that was years ago. So I don't know if it got better.

Yeah the map review does need some love. It is not as active as it use to be. I think its because of it being in the Beginner Lounge.

Emulators always improve with time. Just look at Dolphin, a few years ago GC/Wii emulation was pretty much all experimental-only and pretty useless, and now 99% of games run flawlessly. I played Mario Kart DD today with 0 lag at all, at native resolution, with AA and proper widescreen. And performance has only improved for me in the times I've used it. Of course, it probably also has a lot to do with the improvement of PC hardware as well since it's improved quite a bit since 2007.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen today
I have absolutely no idea what made me remember this, but I think it'd be cool to see the Rom Hacking Newsletter again, though I don't know that there's anyone who would be able and willing to do it.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
I wanted to ask, is there a Gen 2 hack that adds in the Physical/Special split, makes more Pokemon available, enhances difficulty and also adds in evolutions introduced in later gens? Like Honchkrow, Mismagius, Togekiss and Mamoswine.

Because if not I think I'll attempt to learn hacking just to make this.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Nov 12, 2023
^ - This is one I am aware about
XY Naturia Version -

Yeah, but that changes the overworld map and protagonist sprites. Is there an easy way to patch PSS onto GSC?

Also, is there an easy tool to add animated sprites to Crystal? Why are most Gen 2 hacks not Crystal?

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
What are your thoughts on storyline/random events in hacks? More specifically if they're frequent, do you think they keep you interested in playing more, or do they put you off as you want more freedom?

Also, I temporarily changed the thread's name to try something out. Someone had suggested a Screenshot Showcase thread, but since it might not be very active as its own thread, and this thread could use some more activity, people can post their hacks' screenshots here for comments and feedback.

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
What are your thoughts on storyline/random events in hacks? More specifically if they're frequent, do you think they keep you interested in playing more, or do they put you off as you want more freedom?

Also, I temporarily changed the thread's name to try something out. Someone had suggested a Screenshot Showcase thread, but since it might not be very active as its own thread, and this thread could use some more activity, people can post their hacks' screenshots here for comments and feedback.

I prefer some freedom in my ROM hacks. But it doesn't bother me much, if there is storyline. The only problem I may have is the storyline hindering progress, meaning that I have no choice but to do things for the story, so I can go somewhere, I wanted to go to begin with, which is aaaaannnoyiiiing.

Years
  • Seen Oct 22, 2023

Random events are good to have, but they should definitely be kept to a minimum. If there are too many, there are always some chance that you might get distracted from main story, and sort of forget what your task was or were what you were doing. It's awesome to have one of those once every couple of towns, cities, or routes, but you should still try controlling yourself and stay away from them when possible.

CosmicBlazer

Batman
Years
Alright, I'll start the screenshot showcase with this.

Does the tree's bottom part (the ground area) look bad with the grass tiles, I'm just testing out tiles for my hack. Or does it blend in well?

DJTiki

top 3 most uninteresting microcelebrities
Years
Alright, I'll start the screenshot showcase with this.

Does the tree's bottom part (the ground area) look bad with the grass tiles, I'm just testing out tiles for my hack. Or does it blend in well?

It looks well :) I like tileset you went for, maybe its the placement of the trees under the protagonist tha tlooks awkward. But that's me, the trees go well with the grass.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Dec 23, 2023

The story is what attracts me the most in hacks. ^^
The story's execution is also what makes me really like a hack. ^_^

As for the sidequests, I don't really give them any attention since I don't explore the hacks that often. xD

Er...okay?
Well, in my current hack, wild rivals appeared~

Spoiler:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
Oh, wow. That seems like fine, think I'll join. It'll be nice to have something that'll push me to hack, rather than just sit around until I get the motivation to. I might just have to bring back one of my older ideas.

...Unless the idea has to be fresh, too.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 29, 2024
There's a Speedhack Marathon event for this year's Community Get-Together. You guys should join if you have time!

Oh man, I would definitely participate in this if I had access to my computer... I'm on a long road trip. With the pokered and pokecrystal disassemblies, there could be some really cool gen 1 and 2 speed hacks. I might do a speed hack for fun once I'm back.

Years
  • Seen Apr 16, 2020
Oh, wow. That seems like fine, think I'll join. It'll be nice to have something that'll push me to hack, rather than just sit around until I get the motivation to. I might just have to bring back one of my older ideas.

...Unless the idea has to be fresh, too.

I don't think so, as long as you don't have a big amount of progress that would give you an advantage at the contest, it should be okay.

It's a shame some people want to participate but can't, if it's a successful event we might consider hosting another such contest in the near future.

Last edited:

SuperEspeon

Sinnohbaby
Years
I agree $NOGBA and Desume always lagged for me but that was years ago. So I don't know if it got better.

Yeah the map review does need some love. It is not as active as it use to be. I think its because of it being in the Beginner Lounge.

I don't care what any one says, those DesMuMe is still complete ♥♥♥♥. If you start speeding it up than it gets choppy and just crashes your computer. I've tried it on Windows 8 and Windows 7 to no avail.

On a different note, Ive teamed up with a couple of other guys and were making a hack called Pokemon Midnight Version (plug heehehe), and maybe do it for the speed rom hack challenge. Speaking of which, is anyone doing that? The event just seems blashphemous.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
Years
I don't care what any one says, those DesMuMe is still complete ♥♥♥♥. If you start speeding it up than it gets choppy and just crashes your computer. I've tried it on Windows 8 and Windows 7 to no avail.
It crashes you're computer? I think you need to get it from a better source, because I don't think that happens to anyone.

Back