• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Latias & Latios

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
After you beat the Pokemon League, these Pokemon roam around Hoenn that you can encounter in R/S/E as lv.45 Dragon/Psychic type pokemon! Which yeah, that means that they automatically flee if you encounter them, so get your Mean Looks ready!

Latias ラティアス

380.png

This is Latias, in which you can encounter Latias in Sapphire. It's more on the defensive side, where it has a signature move called Mist Ball, a Psychic type move that has a 50% chance of lowering the target's Special Attack. Mostly I prefer to sue Calm Mind for it, just to up it's defenses and provide attack.

Latios ラティオス

381.png

Annnd of course the blue dragon is Latios, in which you can encounter it in Ruby. It's more offensive oriented and comes with it's signature move Luster Purge, which has a 50% chance of lowering the target's Special Defense. Personally in Sapphire I like having it just as a pure attacker with Recover, buut Calm Mind isn't bad for it!

Topics to Discuss
  • Which of the two did you prefer?
  • How long did it take you to capture them?
  • Which of the two did you select in Emerald after defeating the Elite Four?
  • As always, any other thoughts, you can share em' here!

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
Which of the two did you prefer?
I always, always, always preferred Latios because I thought luster purge was just awesome to see.
How long did it take you to capture them?
Not long. Mean look and hypnosis did the trick.
Which of the two did you select in Emerald after defeating the Elite Four?
Latios.
As always, any other thoughts, you can share em' here!
Seriously loved these Pokémon and I was always kind of upset R/S/E didn't offer much in the way of being able to use them in the post-game.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
I had Ruby, so I encountered Latias, in which Latias is pretty cool for a Dual Screens user, which helped my team a lot since I worked with pokemon like Kingdra who liked to use Dragon Dance and roll from there! It kinda didn't take that long to capture, but the only issue was to actually outsmart it and capture it which took longer than expected, but yeah, my Gengar provided Mean Look, and we were able to catch it quickly with Hypnosis + Hidden Power Ice!

I didn't really use Latios all that much, but do love it's power; I really will consider using one as a Calm Mind user when I get the change, just to spruce things up a bit!

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
Are you sure about the Lati's exclusiveness? I am pretty sure that it was the other way around: Latias was available in Sapphire while Latios was in Ruby.

Anyway, I'm a big fan of Latios myself, easily one of my favorite legendary Pokemon of Gen 3, beating Rayquaza by a bit and only lost to Jirachi (since it's cute). I watched the Pokemon movie that features the twins before I started playing RSE, so I know a bit about them.

Although, since my first game was Sapphire, I ended up with Latias. But man, I didn't know about roaming Pokemon, and when she appeared it came to me like a shock. Of course, I knew about her already, so my first instinct was to throw a Master Ball at it haha.

I finally played Emerald a short bit after playing Sapphire, so naturally I chose the opposite aka Latios.

Years
I love both! They're so adorable. My friend had Latios in her game and I had Latias, though I admit I really loved Latios' back sprite back then more so I wanted to own one myself. But right now Latias is probably my favorite of the two since she's so cute in the movies.. plus I love her innocent demeanor.

Capturing would've been so much more difficult had I not owned a Master Ball. 8D

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
When I first finished Emerald I had no idea that there were any sort of postgame gameplay so I kept the game away, haha. It was when I decided to replay the game after a year that I found out about the Latis! Not that I had any idea I could choose anyway, so I just chose blue because I thought to myself that "blue is a manly colour," haha. When I finally encountered the bastard I immediately threw my Master Ball at it--ain't nobody got time fo 'dat!

Years
I preferred Latios, as the blue Pokémon and its cry were more appealing than those of Latias, not to mention the stronger attacking stats personally. But I don't even remember how long it took me to catch them first time around, although I don't remember it being long.

The last time I went through Emerald, though, it didn't take long to find it at first go because I found an interesting trick where you can use the Acro Bike with a Repel and something below Level 40, and then go to Route 110 and enter the gate there then leave if it doesn't show up after a bit. The try when I got the Latios I stuck with, it took almost an hour and a half for it to spawn, but it worked out well and I was satisfied with what I got.

Years
  • Seen Jul 5, 2017
i remember wanting to catch latias so bad; i would spend hours trying to corner her but i always failed to catch her. i had used my masterball already too. ;; but i never gave up. finally, i ended up trading with a friend who agreed to give me his masterball, so as soon as the trade was over i wasted no time and caught latias with it. :pink_tongue:

needless to say, latias has always been my favorite.

Sirfetch’d

I had Ruby so I got Latios, but I much prefer Latias! Both are great but Latias is so much cuter imo and I fell in love with her after the movie ;o;. I did use my Latios a lot though because I used my one and only Master Ball on him haha. He helped me beat the e4 over and over to power train my Pokemon and earn money for vitamins! Hoenn has so many good legendaries aaa ;o;

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
Which of the two did you prefer?
I like them both, equally.

How long did it take you to capture them?
I don't believe it was very long. I know I didn't use a Master Ball, I used that one already on Rayquaza.

Which of the two did you select in Emerald after defeating the Elite Four?
I believe it was Latias, but I'm not sure. I didn't know that the choice between red and blue had anything to do with Latios and Latias. From red and blue I thought it was something with Groudon and Kyogre.

As always, any other thoughts, you can share em' here!
I think Luster Purge is more useful than Mist Ball. Its side effect make the next hit of the move stronger, while Mist Ball has no useful effect on physical sweepers. Also I think the moves have really little PP. They're not that powerful.

Years
I prefer Latios cos of the color and gender. When I first started playing it took me a lot of time to get them.
Nowadays I dont catch them. I let most legendary Pokemon in the games just live their own life far from my PC. I didnt catch a single legendary Pokemon in my last Firered and Emerald run. Its fun to have them there and chill.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
I believe the Eon Siblings were the first Hoenn legendary Pokémon that was shown to the public. When I first saw them on the official Pokémon website, I thought they might be related to Togepi in some ways because of the triangular symbols.

I love Latios among the duo, he is also handy for the Battle Facilities.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen yesterday
I love both of them ;-; If I had to choose with I like better, I guess I would go with Latios simply because I like the color blue more than red lol.

But I really love both of them. Catching them was a pain in the games though. Even with Mean Look, it would take time. I always managed to get them though, but didn't use them all too much.

I think in Emerald I picked Latios.

Years
Ruby was what I played first so I got Latios, but over the years after playing that Latias has grown on me as well. I personally like both equally, but in my Ruby I was never able to catch Latios and I likely never will after hearing about the low IV's issue.

Back