• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Do the originals stand up to ORAS?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
If you've played the new games, Pokemon Omega Ruby and Alpha Sapphire, how do you think that the original games, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald stand up to them?

tumblr_n7at91Svwm1rfnwv0o3_500.jpg

In comparison, the ORAS games are in 3D, the characters are fleshed out more, and there are brand new features. But still, even from what ORAS has, do the original games still hold that special charm to them that still makes them fun to replay? Do you still replay these games even though ORAS is out?

Do you have any other thoughts? You can share them here!

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Aug 26, 2023
Yes! The original games had a special charm to them. I don't even really know why, probably because of the GBA soundfont and stuff like the Battle Frontier which sadly wasn't in OR/AS D:
To be honest OR/AS don't even feel like the original Hoenn I am used too. I actually think Mauville City was better when it was a little bit small, it felt more like a city!

I still play these games all the time! I'm actually planning on playing through Emerald again but doing it with a challenge. I don't even know what challenge to do though. I can't wait to reach the Battle Frontier and battle the brains, something you couldn't really do in the remakes </3

Tricko

Developing Pokémon Dark Leaf
Years
Yes, Even though ORAS is out the..Orginal game had some special charm..Especially as tetra said Battle Frontier I had many memories in the Battle Frontier and, I still play it with all sorts Pokemon..Sometimes Monotype teams also..And at that times there was a rumor that after defeating E4 100 times you could get a chance to capture Jirachi and I defeated the E4 100 time and went to the space station but nothing happened everything was normal ....it was a prank..it was very fun though....

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
In my opinion, the only thing that the originals have over the remakes is nostalgia. I still replay Emerald though because it's still fun :]

blue

gucci
Years
I do enjoy the originals, but I much prefer ORAS. When playing through Alpha Sapphire, I just loved how much effort and detail they put into the games by recreating the originals as best as possible. RSE are still fun to play for nostalgia purposes and what not, but ORAS has the edge over them for me.

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
In my opinion, the only thing that the originals have over the remakes is nostalgia.

The answer is written for you guys in one sentence. I loved RSE, as it was my first pokemon game ever, and down came nostalgia with it, but who the heel wouldn't like a 3D world of Hoen. ORAS just upgraded the game, like adding a new weapon.

Years
I havent played the newest generation ever, but I can tell you right now that nothing will ever beat the feeling I had when I first stepped out from that truck. First Pokemon game, first steps. Priceless.

Years
I'll say that ORAS excel over the originals, and while RSE are still low on my list Emerald does have advantages, including prime difficulty, a few separate areas and characters, and them both being involved. But I still prefer today's technology. As I mentioned in that one thread, I will never call RSE bad games even with ORAS out, but I just prefer the mechanics of the newer games. There's still definitely stuff to like here, though.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 2, 2016
there are some things that i felt were over done that weren't needed in a remake of RSE. but then again...its trying harder to be a reboot. so its trying to make us forget RSE more than compliment it.

Anti

return of the king
Years
i think the remakes are clearly superior except emerald's battle frontier really makes its replay value a lot higher. so it's weird - i think omegaruby is better, but i will probably still be playing emerald more. even with all seven gold symbols, it's fun to try to break your own records!

Years
i think the remakes are clearly superior except emerald's battle frontier really makes its replay value a lot higher. so it's weird - i think omegaruby is better, but i will probably still be playing emerald more. even with all seven gold symbols, it's fun to try to break your own records!

Kudos for this. I never had the patience to do this.

I dont know what it feels like to play Pokeon 3D yet, but I have to say that I sometimes miss 3rd gen graphics over 4th gen graphics. I wouldnt be surprised if I end up preferring them over 3D ones too.

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
Years
OR/AS is better than R/S, yeah. Emerald is still 10x better than the remakes, though - feels a lot more difficult, what with the original Exp. Share and not really as much money, so less Full Restores/Revives/Full Heals/etc. Not to mention all three box legends in one game, no shiny lock, Battle Frontier, a Lati@s you have to work for, both fossils, more challenges, etc.

Years
While the originals have the nostalgia going for it, I still think OR/AS were better than their original counterparts due to so many improvements mechanically and I found them easier to play compared to the days when I was new to Pokemon games and always found myself struggling. I know some don't like the so-called "lack of challenge" in OR/AS but they did so much improvements, such as making the characters have more diversity in design now.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Apr 6, 2016
I grew up with the original Red/Blue, and when R/S came out I wasn't the biggest fan of them. Today they're my favourite games in the series, and I'm apparently an oddity that doesn't really like Emerald or the remakes. The remakes dumbed a lot of stuff down, and honestly while the 3d graphics are neat, I'd say they're way uglier than the purely sprite based visuals of Ruby/Sapphire. There were so many really wonderful details if you take the time to look at the scenery in Ruby/Sapphire, and I never once felt that in the remakes. Also while gen III mechanics are certainly different, I wouldn't really call them worse than gen 4 mechanics. They're just different. I'll also always prefer a version of Hoenn where Trick Room doesn't exist.

That being said, the remakes are really fine games for a modern audience. While I don't think Ruby/Sapphire needed a remake at all, it's nice that there are two versions out there for different audiences. I think there's a lot more to love about gen III than nostalgia, as Ruby/Sapphire really stand the test of time better than most of the Pokemon games. It's a pretty great example of both versions having their own benifits and downsides, and it's up to the player to decide which they prefer. I don't hate the remakes, I just prefer the originals for a lot of little reasons that add up.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Mar 26, 2021
I wasn't the biggest fan of the original RSE. Manly because a lot of the new designs at the time did not appeal to me. As well as you have to keep surfing and going back to a lot of places. I'm glad ORAS changed that.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
If we're comparing RS to OrAs, the answer is OrAs being a lot better than RS.

While comparing Emerald to OrAs is a different news. lol

Years
I don't really like ORAS that much, it's just not as nostalgic as I hoped in would've been. Back in gen 3, we had the battle frontier and the ability tutor our fans, pokemons that battled on their own etc, don't get me wrong, ORAS is great in its own right though.

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Aug 31, 2019
Absolutely. The original games still have a place in our hearts. Also, the games both have different mechanics. In Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, the moves are either physical or special based on their type. Also, the add-ons and new Pokemon in ORAS make it almost an entirely different game. Even the plot of the game is similar, but very different.

Also, lets not forget to mention that Pokemon Emerald has that fun Battle Frontier! ORAS still just has the Battle Maison type of ordeal. Battle Frontier was so much fun back then.

They are very similar games and sure ORAS has 3 dimensional art and more pokemon including mega evolutions, but the story line is kind of different from the less complicated story lines of the originals of which have a very nostalgic gameboy advance feel and different mechanics. Overall, I'd say they are different games, and the originals will definitely still be played.

ThatSlashGuy

that tech guy
Years
Honestly, don't get me wrong, I love ORAS and RSE. But what I found to be an issue, was how easy ORAS was compared to RSE, because the EXP Share, difficulty curve, and overall feel. ORAS (even though it has the exact same story) felt rushed, I felt like the story went a lot faster than what RSE was like. However, I ultimately bought both versions and I still enjoy them, RSE will still be my favorite probably because of nostalgia or because of the features that were dropped in ORAS, like the battle frontier, etc.

Apollo

怖がらないで
Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Jul 22, 2017
I think ORAS were great games, they were a step-up and an improvement from their original games. I was able to play through my favorite region all with the new and updated mechanics, such as the Physical/Special split, the fairy typing and much more. The originals, though, had this certain charm to them. I preferred the music in the originals, and they had a challenge as well. I'd still play ORAS over the originals any day... but if we're putting Emerald in the question, then I'd have to go with that instead. :)

Back