• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen ☆JIRACHI CHALLENGE☆ - What are your favourite pokemon from Gen III?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
Pokemon-Ruby-Sapphire-and-Emerald-Concept-art-Daily-Nintendo-3.png

Just as the title suggests, what are your favourite pokemon from the Generation 3 pokemon games, Ruby, Sapphire, and Emerald? What are the strengths on using that pokemon, and do you tend to use that particular pokemon in your in-game pokemon party during your playthrough of RSE? Feel free to discuss any thoughts!

Personally, I love using Milotic in all my playthroughs, but again, the problem is to how to find a Feebas and taking the time to evolve it. But fortunately all I have to do is breed my old Milotic from Pokemon Ruby, to get a Feebas on my each new runthroughs of Emerald! <33

Candy

[img]http://i.imgur.com/snz4bEm.png[/img]
Years
I... envy you for a lot of reasons. :D

I loved Milotic ever since I saw a trainer using it, and it got boosted up when I saw Wallace using it. That's what motivates me to find a Feebas in the first place. Like I posted previously in the Feebas thread, it got to lv 100. What bites me as well is that it's a guy, and I forgot where I found the tile as it was random fishing. And all the next attempts ended up in failure as the internal battery was dead, so... I've never gotten a Milotic on RSE hahahaha... :'3

Years
I think my favorite Pokémon that was introduced in RSE would be Aggron. It does have several resistances, and the evolution line as a whole has massive Defense stats. However, i've never used one seriously in RSE, but most of the reason for that is because it has a really hard time fighting for itself, with so many of the Gyms being able to prey on it, except Norman's. (Winona is weak to Rock but she has a Pelipper, and an Altaria with Earthquake.) It doesn't help that it learns NO Rock-type attacks by level-up here, meaning you basically have to waste your Rock Tomb TM on it if you want it to learn any. In B2W2 and Generation VI, Aggron gets so many moves that it can use, such as Thunder Wave, the elemental punches, Iron Head, and then some, haha.

I think my second favorite would be Medicham. It's not quite as screwed over as Aggron is - even though it doesn't get that nice second STAB for Pure Power, it can still hit hard with moves like Brick Break/Hi Jump Kick and Shadow Ball. The physical/special split was very nice to it, as it can relearn the elemental punches and use those effectively, but even better is Generation VI since it can get Zen Headbutt without Heart Scales. All that said, I have used Medicham in Ruby once to my recollection - I used it in a Red Mono-Color challenge I did last June. It was a bit on the slow side but it helped me in quite a few fights.

Over a decade ago when the games were new, it used to be Swampert, but the times have since changed and that was before "mudkipz" became a meme, not that that had anything to do with my decision on that, though.

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
As with most other Pokemon games, I always tend to pick up the regional starter bird Pokemon, and Hoenn is no exception. I'd probably argue that, while it may not quite match up to the amount of times I've included a Pidgey on my team, Taillow is probably one of the Pokemon I've been the most consistent with keeping on my team. Only few times, which also includes my current playthrough of one of the games, have I not picked up a Taillow due to wanting to try something new, but generally, I feel like Taillow is probably one of the best starter birds to pick up next to Starly, when it comes to how much of an impact it'll make on your team. Most other starter birds are relatively weak just as you get them, but this isn't really the case with Taillow. Quite the contrary, I've always found it to be one of the strongest birds early on in the game, and while that may just be an illusion I've made due to the second gym being a Fighting type one, I've always felt like Taillow/Swellow just slaughter their way through everyone early on in the games. And it usually tends to keep it up up until around the 5th-6th gym, where it, unfortunately, starts to fall off; more so than most other starter birds I feel. I usually tend to keep it on my team, but it's usually not all that useful at that point, other than being a means to Fly.

But yeah, generally I've always really liked Taillow/Swellow, and often tend to overlevel it quite a bit early on, simply because it's so easy to do so, but the fact that it becomes so weak later on in the game does at times make it tempting to replace it, but I couldn't do that </3 But yeah, it's definitely the Pokemon I've had on most of my Hoenn teams :D

Zeffy

g'day
Years
  • Age 27
  • Seen Feb 7, 2024
I have a lot of favourites from Hoenn! The Makuhita line being one of them simply because Makuhita is super cute! It also provides a strong Fighting-type for my team, which I find always important to have early on. There's also the Trapinch line! Flygon is a really cool Dragon-type (Garchomp can suck a berry for stealing Flygon's moxie) and is also a good attacker in general. Although I think my ultimate Hoenn favourite is the Treecko line--they're really cool! I almost always pick Treecko everytime I play through Emerald again (which I am tempted to do after answering all these Hoenn based threads, haha). Mega Sceptile is also pretty cool :p

Years
Must.

267MS.png

Firstly, I absolutely adore Beautifly. It's been a favorite of mine ever since I first saw it in the anime and I tried using it in-game on several occasions despite how much it paled in comparison to a lot of other Pokemon. Still, as someone who doesn't usually like bug-type Pokemon, Beautifly was gorgeous.

276MS.png
277MS.png

Then there's the Taillow line. Although it's very frail and easily knocked out Swellow does a great job at hitting fast and doing great damage; it was very reliable for me, probably my most-used regional bird to date. Taillow was immensely useful early on, too.. and has a great design to boot.

300MS.png

Skitty is amazing. What did you expect from me? [': It's very cute. I had a hard time catching one since it was pretty rare to encounter and never wanted to evolve it because I found its first form to be much cuter. But Delcatty is nice too - had one with a similar moveset to the one Delcatty that had an episode dedicated to it in the anime, with Thunderbolt, Solarbeam, and Blizzard.

306MS.png

Slightly biased towards steel types but holy moly Aggron is awesome. So much bulk and tons of resistances. It's really hard to train in RSE but worth it with how useful it is overall. I loved mine.

330MS.png
334MS.png
373MS.png

Awesome dragons here I come. There's no doubt Hoenn introduced some of the coolest dragon types ever, pretty sure I used all three of these (Flygon especially) 289686878 times. It wrecked anything and everything. :D

335MS.png

Zangoose is very cool-looking. Perfect for my cool-wannabe younger self lol, it always impressed me how much physical damage it did. Using a move that normally does next to do no damage like Quick Attack and watching it take out tons of HP was all the more amusing.

358MS.png

It's forgettable but so cute. Enough said.

378MS.png

Regice was one of my MVPs back during the R/S days. Its special defense stat is off the charts - special attackers did next to no damage to it and I had a lot of fun tanking that way. Trained mine to the lv. 80s somewhere.

354MS.png

And lastly, my favorite of the bunch, Banette. Back then ghost moves were still physical-based so Shadow Ball was absolutely insane with how high Banette's attack stat was. I loved him so much I trained two of them to lv. 100 just because I could.

There are others I like as well but this post is getting a little bit..! Would be here all day.

Sirfetch’d

Hoenn was my life and still is to an extent! That is because of how awesome every single Pokemon from those games is haha. As you probably could guess, Castform is my all time favorite <3 It's cute, unique, adorable, and just a blast to use :3 It has a really insane movepool as well which makes it a force to use in game! I do wish it was a bit stronger though but that doesn't really matter. I'd love it if his base stats were all 5 haha. My other favorites are Lileep, Torchic family, Breloom, and Roselia among many :3

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
Years
I like so many of them. Here are a few:

383.png
382.png

First of all, the mascots, Groudon and Kyogre, are epic thanks to their lore and the plot evolving them. They make the Hoenn games great to me, giving the game more plot than the previous ones. They're not really fun to use in battle though because their unique abilities make them quite overpowered.

286.png

An unique type combination and the access to the move Spore. It can destroy a lot of Pokémon combined with Focus Punch.

344.png

I don't know why I'm such a fan of this thing. It must be because I like Psychic Pokémon. Also I think Cosmic Power is a really cool move.

376.png

Just look at it. It's an awesome Pokémon with a badass X in his face!

Years
Design wise, third generation is BY FAR the best generation. There isnt ONE SINGLE legendary I didnt like. Latios/Latias, weather trio, all the others. I love them, they all have a purpose, and look like beasts!

Anyway, my favorites from this region are Sharpedo, Mightyena, Salamance, Wurmple, Lotad, Wingull (thats right), Sevipe, Relicanth...and many, many, seriously, way too many more. Trying to find a team for my last Emerald run was a nightmare cos I could not round them down to a team of 6.

My favorite though are Sharpedo, whose design I just love. Plus its a powerhouse. Mightyena, finally a wolf-like dog! Kyogre is perfect in every single way.

Rayquaza wins this one though, I love its design, purpose and power. And best of all, it's Mega Evolution doesnt suck whatsoever!

Gligar

Bruhfication Sayan
Years
Hmm... My favourite pokemon in gen 3 would probably be.... Kecleon! Back when I was 9, I kept training Kecleon over and over again so I could evolve it. I got it to about level 75 then I gave up. I eventually painfully learnt that Kecleon didn't have an evolution after all. I really don't know why I really liked Kecleon, its design asn't the best, and it wasn't the strongest either.

Another one of my favourite Gen 3 pokemon would have to be Breloom. Unlike Kecleon, there were reasons why I loved Breloom. First of all, Breeloom was the most powerful pokemon I knew back then. Its attacks were so powerful according to the 9 year old me.Plus, I just absolutely loved its design. To me, it was the most beautiful pokemon of gen 3. These are the main reasons why I picked it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
Years
  • Seen Jan 20, 2017
Since I love the Hoenn region so much, I love every Hoenn native Pokémon as well. I tried different kinds of Pokémon and almost none disappointed me. :)

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Aug 17, 2016
Aggron is freaking amazing. I love his design and it's actually not half bad with its monstrous defense. It's also my first ever shiny I caught on a cartridge (very first was on a rom).

Zangoose is also one of my favorites. It made such an impression on me in XD: Gale of Darkness. It was just so powerful. I always try to use these two whenever I can.

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
Years
Grovyle - He looked amazing. I consider him as the coolest Pokémon ever made, especially after having played Explorers of Sky. He was also very good, had effective moves... I never liked Sceptile that much though, felt too big and lost his swiftness he had as a Grovyle. Amazing!

Aggron - Amazing stats, moves, look and feel... He was usable in every fight, for sure.

Groudon - A bit of the same story as with Grovyle. I first met him in Explorers of Darkness, where he simply ruled. He looked so strong and scary. I read in a magazine about his role in the game, and I was always scared how and when I would face him. Then during the expendition, i started thinking that I would eventually have to battle him there, and that was A BATTLE.

Years
All the starters were POWERFUL by the time they reach their final evolution, mostly Blaziken. Sadly I don't choose Torchic that much since the first gym leader makes the choice somewhat hard.

Well, right after getting past that 'i found some footprints!' guy in Oldale Town, I search the grasses for a Ralts so that it becomes a Gardevoir later on. I think Gardevoir has to be one of the best pokemons Gen III introduced, it's simply powerful!
Then, I get a Wingull, which usually ends up as a (powerful) HM Slave.
I always get a Trapinch. Flygon was my second favorite(after Gardevoir), and its speed allows me to battle Drake with some ease.
Sometimes I get a Makuhita if I need a bulky fighting-type. Sometimes I exchange it with an Absol later on in the game.

`Rse

新月
Years
Altaria, the big fluffy cotton cloud oh how I love you. Altaria was my favourite and was definitely great to use.
Mawile had a really cool design though did not make it into my team in any of my playthroughs.
Finally Latias, the cool flying psychic dragon pokemon! (except catching her was a pain, also she had a cooler sprite than Latios)

CharBrothers

Martin Mystery
Years
Hoenn is my most favorite region. So, My favorite pokemon so far is RALTS! Yes, the pokemon that is very rare and hard to find. Everytime I went to Petalburg, I always catch only one Ralts. I liked the pokemon ever since my character helped Wally to catch a pokemon. And I was jealous of that Ralts. So I searched the whole patch for a Ralts and eventually I caught one. :D

Years
I became interested in Pokemon during the time of Generation 3, so as a short answer, I am in some way attached to every single Pokemon that was introduced in it.

Most noteworthy in my opinion is Salamence. Basically an answer to 1st Gen's Dragonite, it had a very cool design as well as High offensive capabilities paired with speed. I was introduced by a cousin to Bagon shortly after I got my 8th Gym Badge; since then, I have made it a sort of tradition to go straight to Meteor Falls after clearing the Sootopolis Gym. Salamence kindled my interest in Dragon-type Pokemon.

Feebas was gut wrenchingly hard to find in the original games; it was well established that Milotic was the pinnacle of collector's Pokemon among my group of friends. It's good defensive bulk made it very useful against the Elite Four and Battle Frontier, so it was sought after by everyone. And because it evolved through the Beauty stat, a Milotic with the proper nature effortlessly tore through Master Rank Contests.

Metagross was a valuable Pokemon to have as well. You don't actually get a Beldum until you finish the game, but it is well-worth raising and evolving for the Battle Frontier. Like Salamence, Metagross' design stood out to me, and it's unique typing gave it resistances to numerous types. It covered the former's type weaknesses very well, so I had them paired a lot within my team setups.

Back