• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

study technique

dad

big poppa
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 13, 2018
    explain your study techniques/habits to a high-school student who is quickly approaching finals week.

inb4 step one is logging off, i have that down

Sirfetch’d

Unplug your internet and just force yourself :( I was never really able to study because I was/am always too distracted by other things to do it properly. When I know I have to study for exams...I just turn off anything that can distract me and painfully get the studying over with.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I found that once I actually started, I could focus pretty well. Granted, I'd start studying at like 2am the day of the exam, I could knock out a good couple of hours once I started. Just separate yourself from everything, go to the library, sit at the kitchen table, or do I like I did and study in a closet. Sounds like "just do it", but idk it seemed like good advice as I was typing it

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
    don't try and remove yourself from EVERYTHING to study - give yourself periods of time to study, then do something to relax and let loose a bit, then get back to it. refresh yourself on material you were somewhat comfortable with until you're comfortable with it, then do it again for good measure. go through the new stuff, go back over the old stuff to make sure what you retained. rinse and repeat. i've never traded sleep for study, especially since i don't remember stuff well after i sleep, so i see no point in staying up into the wee hours of the morning and getting like two hours' worth of a nap before the test... that's RIDICULOUS.

in any case i mostly study through osmosis, or review myself just before whatever exams i might be taking and synthesize a broad amount of information. i've always been a good test taker and honestly if you aren't the type to be able to sit down and study, very small, frequent periods of broad memorization will probably be the most beneficial.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Make a timetable! If you make a timetable it'll seem horrid before you start but once you get into it you'll be fine. Starting on the first day is always the hardest but once you're an hour in to the first session you'll be ok from then onwards. If you set yourself a goal for what you need to get done each day then it's a good way to keep your progress in check too and it gives you something to work towards.

Lucid

I have no advice. I had so many F's in school, it was like my report card was stuttering to call me a failure.

Kotone

someone needed a doctor?
    Years
    back in highschool, i always took notes during class. writing helps me remember things. also, i always made notecards for everything. i feel like i killed an entire forest lol.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
    Years
    If your procrastination is working against you, work with your procrastination instead. I was really into Roller Coaster Tycoon 2 and Pokemon in high school, and that always made me not want to study. So, instead of turning everything off and dedicating myself to my books for a couple hours like a good student, I started naming my various roller coasters after important facts I was supposed to know. It might not have been as effective as studying outright, but it got me looking through my notes and the act of thinking about your studies while playing a game that you normally used to escape said studies worked relatively well. It made it more fun, and I would "study" for hours on end. It might not be your ticket to straight A's, but if you're fine with a few B's, then it was good enough for me.

Plus S=O/H, C=A/H, and T=O/A (my triple racing coasters) were some of the biggest hits in the park. They brought in a lot of money, and a higher grade in math, haha.

In other words, make studying a game. It works wonders.

Years
    I study whilst browsing PC 8)
    But, I focus on my studies too much, I miss my VM for about 30 minutes or so.

Skip Class

previously zappyspiker, but rainbow keeps trying t
    Years
    Due tomorrow... DO TOMORROW! If you leave it to the last minute, cram and pray the exam gods will bless you with a pass.

I kid, don't listen to me I had internal subjects and barely exams.

Years
    • Write down (or type out) summarised notes: it forces you to think about the subject matter - too often you can be reading a page and process none of the information
    • Get your hands on any practice exams that might be floating around (they often have these available for year 12 exams) or a copy of the previous year's exams (typical university strategy - hell, if your lecturer is really lazy they might even have some of the same/similar questions!)
    • Manage your distractions: I always found it difficult to study for extended periods of time with the allure of the internet to waste time on. I got around this by playing Scrubs episodes on a TV in my room the entire time. If I was getting bogged down or tired, I would turn to the TV, relax a bit, then turn back. If you try this technique it needs to be a show you have already watched so you don't need to pay attention to it. Interestingly, one of my friends did the exact same thing when they studied (this was back when Scrubs was still going, btw - freaking awesome show). This technique obviously would not work for everyone.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
    Don't panic! If you're feeling nervous before an exam, simply surf that wave with conviction. I find that helps me a lot, as does a cool head when the time comes to face those daunting slips of paper.

finalrayne

High Roller
    Years
    I don't have advice just one line for when you hit college C's get degrees. In high school my way of passing was straight A's then bombing mid terms and finals.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
    For me, I'm the type of student who has better long-term memory than short-term memory so consistent and steady memorization of notes that starts early is what I do. Also, I have to study with music, and I believe music helps a lot in gearing your brain to get into the mood. Just go with whatever playlist you find that works (I don't believe in the whole Mozart effect theory. I know I'll fall asleep reading my notes while listening to classical music xD). Furthermore, if you know that home is not a conducive environment to study, don't do it at home. Like duh. Find a place that you feel is suitable for you and poses no disruption. Also, don't study for hours on end lest you go bust. Give yourself breaks every 30-45mins to let your brain take a breather. Overflowing yourself with streams of information will likely result in lower absorption and understanding. The most important factor is determination, I feel. If you determined to excel, you'll make it happen. That's usually what everyone needs to start finding success.

Back