• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Timelines

vampiricrogue

skydemonairpirates
Years
  • Most people like to roleplay in a certain timeline. Do you see yourself roleplaying as a knight in the 14th century? Possibly a mafia boss in the 1930's? A WWII-based air pirate defending a fantasy island? The futuristic-type? Or even the quirky steampunk era? Share your favorites.

I personally will try any category given with trial and error.

Years
  • I think that I find science fiction settings the most, although I also like the sort of medieval era as well. I'm willing to try pretty much anything though.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • I always find futuristic/older settings to be the most fun, since they're filled with stuff that can't be explored in real life situations (in the case of futuristic settings) or stuff that you have to revisit for historical accuracy (in the case of older settings). My favorite example is Gunpowder, where you basically play in an old western setting. On the other hand, I find most current-world settings quite boring for some reason, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    I don't prefer a set era perse. There is loads of different things that can be done with each era to make something appeal to me. While some aspects certainly help the setting, I don't prefer one era over the other. Something like Gunpowder, set in the old west, gets the appeal from the creative magic side to it, but something set in modern day can have the same appeal if it has a similar creative aspect.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Actually, I've had the most fun with RPs set in our current era. Maybe that's strange, or at least unusual?

Atlantis, Digimon RPs, most pokémon RPs... Our "normal" world and era, but with twists. That allows me to make believable characters, and makes that twist that more exciting. A magician in a fantasy setting isn't amazed every time he shoots a fireball. A girl watching a digimon egg hatch into something that clearly is not a common animal, or a middle aged man who suddenly realized that he can move things with his mind - the little things gain more weight if the setting/era is not the focus of the RP.

At least that's how I think I would like to explain my preferences, haha.

Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2016
    I prefer timelines that aren't our timelines, because I always find those challenging as it tends to require research since the mindset/technology/culture isn't the same as it is in certain day. Though, I also love me some modern day RPs with a bit of a futuristic twist of some way (not full on sci-fi).

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • Well

I think it has more to do with the style/genre than it does the setting. I know when I'm playing videogames, I tend to gravitate more towards medieval settings, but I also enjoy modern of futuristic settings just as much if they're in a similar style. I haven't quite become attached to a setting in such a way with roleplaying, but I'd say it's like that, in a sense.

And, to be honest, most roleplays around here tend to be in modern or futuristic/post-apocalyptic settings. I haven't really been in many medieval fantasy settings. perhaps that's why I'm going to be spending so long creating Medieval

Geras

Roleplayer
    Years
  • I much prefer modern-day eras, as not only is it easier for me to create characters I can relate to (and thus write for more easily), but I also have much more information on the RP's world available to me (because it's the real world). I don't have to worry so much about stepping on the GM's lore. Though some supernatural goodness is always nice to spice things up.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • Current day/near future/near past is my favorite as far as timelines, though I also enjoy future.

I'll go one step further and say my least favorite is probably medieval. I get incredibly bored clanging my sharp metal stick against other peoples sharp metal stick.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Well, it's not more about the timeline per se, but with the story. However, I am really not fond of RPs set in the Victorian Era (with the exception of Venice and Monsters) since I'm not really all that familiar with what people are doing then.

prolly weird stuff though.

Jay

[font=Brawler][color=#91a8d4][i]Here comes the boi
    Years
  • Maybe it's a little cliché, but I adore a classice medieval fantasy setting the best to this day. I love me some old fashioned "ye olde" speak, swords, shields and magic. An adventure across an open, well written, fantasy world with the objective of saving the planet?

Sign me up any day, because I am down to clown with that.

Years
    • she/her
    • home
    • Seen Aug 16, 2023
    i don't really have a specific preference for any era, as long as i know the setting well enough to be confident to write in it. for instance, i'm familiar enough with medieval or modern-day times to be able to write from someone's perspective in that setting. this also works with futuristic settings provided there is enough of an explanation to work with... but as a result i don't feel i can write very well in other settings, at least not without doing research first. it's one of the reasons why i don't think i'd sign up for Venice, for example.

jombii

Years
  • i don't really have a specific preference for any era, as long as i know the setting well enough to be confident to write in it. for instance, i'm familiar enough with medieval or modern-day times to be able to write from someone's perspective in that setting. this also works with futuristic settings provided there is enough of an explanation to work with... but as a result i don't feel i can write very well in other settings, at least not without doing research first. it's one of the reasons why i don't think i'd sign up for Venice, for example.

Well, reading a LOT of books will certainly spruce you up with a certain knowledge about many different eras. However, when I'm about to play an RP with a rather different setting, I do a quick read on Wikipedia about it and try to imagine someone living a life during that time. Of course, this is only applicable to past eras as future-timeline RPs are usually more defined.

FireSnow

Show me that Fighting Spirit
    Years
  • Though I have never RP'ed in a different era before, I could really see myself enjoying the 1920s-30s as part of the American mafia. I could really get into that and have a really fun time writing it and exploring different parts of my writing skills that I've never tried using before.

SV

See You Space Cowboy
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2022
    People know sci-fi is my favorite, but I enjoy fantasy as well. Those two would probably be my favorites

jombii

Years
  • People know sci-fi is my favorite, but I enjoy fantasy as well. Those two would probably be my favorites

Well-written sci-fi settings are good timelines for RPs since it induces so much creativity from players to play in an entirely new time. But there's always the risk of a world or time setting where there are some crucial missing elements.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I don't really prefer any era over the other, I've just been in more past/future RPs than ones set in present day. I think there's a lot more that can be done and imagine in current/future set rps compared to past era rps, but those past rps can also explore the more mystical sides of things easier without everyone just jumping and saying its technology.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I love the steampunk era, especially Neo-Victorian, as well as playing in a Renaissance setting (like Venice). I'm a huge sucker for medieval and mythological timelines. As for looking towards the future, I think cyberpunk is more within my comfort zone. But I am not a fan for post-apocalyptic eras. Modern-day era, I find boring. x:

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I'm up for anything! Can't really say there is a period I wouldn't like to play in as each and every one has quirks. I mean I'm not the biggest fan of the wild west, but gunpowder has been super fun to read.

Back