• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen BW or B2W2?

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • Did you prefer the original Black and White games, or the sequel Black 2 and White 2 games?

From the features, storyline, characters, and other things you can think of, why did you prefer one set of games over another?

Years
  • I know this is odd, but I actually like both games equally. They have their differences, but they connect such an important storyline together, and it was always great playing both of them.

Years
  • Black 2 and White 2. I feel that those games had a lot more available than their predecessors, and also gave you more motivation to stay around even after you've beaten the game.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Mmm, for the post game alone, I'm going to have to give it to B2W2. I think they're storylines are equal, and the battles are just as good, but B2W2 seems to have more variety on the things you can do in Unova, as well as the variety of pokemon you can use, in which if you knew me, I'd say variety is important~

Light and Darkness Dragon

Want a Sprite Cranberry? 🎄
    Years
    • Seen Sep 23, 2021
    I never played BW2. I didn't really like the grab bag of legendaries at end of the game. (just personal taste)

My only complaint with BW was the circular map. In Gen 5 I also feel like a lot of the pokemon in that gen power creeped the older gen. I could be wrong.

What's the differences of BW & BW2?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • B2/W2. The post game is awesome <3

But I really loved and enjoyed both of them!

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • I prefered BW, although B2W2 had features that I really liked.

I really enjoyed that Black and White only had new mons, as it was farther away and I was really disapointed when I found out you could catch old mons in the sequels prior to beating the game. (I know i'm in the far majority here, but meh)
    BW also had a better story, the B2W2 story was simply obvious big bad is bad, while in the originals, for the majority of the game you are faced with a moral dilemma. Is it wrong to force pokemon to work for you?

However, I did like that they added to the region overall, as it felt very small in BW, im glad that they were actual sequels instead of just the usual third game nonsense, even if I wasn't the biggest fan of the way they continued the story.
    There were also the Hidden Grotos, The Habitat mode pokedex, and a few other features that made B2W2 for me.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I thought both games were pretty on point for Pokemon games, but I still found it difficult to truly immerse myself in them. That said, I think I kinda prefer BW over BW2 because those were the games I had a lot more success in. I think someday, though, I'll have to go back and revisit the Unova region to give these games another shot.

Ozymandias

i'm going on a journey
    Years
  • Personally I enjoyed the story of BW better however...
    The amount of pokemon + extra features + post game make me enjoy BW2 just a tad bit more :3

Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2016
    My first post here^^
    I like BW2 more, though both games have a great story line. In BW2 you meet more of the former characters and actually meet a lot characters in general. And that Tournament in which you can challenge other gym leaders form other regions and all the champs is just great (though I keep loosing without getting close to the champs^^) and the post game story was also pretty good and just I liked BW2 more (especially the animated trailer was just awsome)
    And another reason would be Cheren^^ (he just looked too awsome in BW2)

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    To keep it simple: just like yin and yang, they exist best when working in tandem: playing BW to appreciate the characters, settings, and lore of B2W2; and playing B2W2 to enhance and expand upon the overall experience from BW.

Fen-Fen

Me but more fabulous
    Years
  • I prefered BW, although B2W2 had features that I really liked.

I really enjoyed that Black and White only had new mons, as it was farther away and I was really disapointed when I found out you could catch old mons in the sequels prior to beating the game. (I know i'm in the far majority here, but meh)
    BW also had a better story, the B2W2 story was simply obvious big bad is bad, while in the originals, for the majority of the game you are faced with a moral dilemma. Is it wrong to force pokemon to work for you?

However, I did like that they added to the region overall, as it felt very small in BW, im glad that they were actual sequels instead of just the usual third game nonsense, even if I wasn't the biggest fan of the way they continued the story.
    There were also the Hidden Grotos, The Habitat mode pokedex, and a few other features that made B2W2 for me.
    I'll be honest, I was one of the people that, at the time, I was a little miffed I couldn't catch any of the other mons. Looking back, I actually do appreciate the ability to start with Gen V pokemon only until post story, which was my motivation in replaying Black (I originally had White) in going back and finding the Gen V mons that I overlooked (I mainly relied on legendaries at this time, making my battling fairly cheap). Also, the story was much better than I remember and is way above Gen VI's forgettable story. So yeah, I didn't mind the new direction it took and I now find myself embracing it.

jombii

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][SIZE=4][COLOR=#00b05
    Years
  • Honestly, I liked B2W2 better than BW. Hugh is less annoying that Bianca and Marlon has the most awesome Gym Leader exit ever.

Plus, early Riolus are always welcome.

Back