• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you enjoy world building?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Hello there. From a roleplaying perspective, do you find that you enjoy creating a world, thinking up areas and lore, and letting players populate and interact with it? Or do you rather see world building as a tedious part of GMing and greatly prefer to just jump into other people's worlds and play?

For pokemon specifically, have you ever made up a custom region of your own? If so, was it for a rp or not?

so many questioooons
    hit me with answers pls <3

Years
  • I love world building, its probably one of my favorite parts of an RP. I think the most fun thing about world building can be just creating something of your own, your own reigon, characters, political powers, etc. It can be a bit daunting sometimes, and often its not as appreciated as you would like, but I get a great amount of satisfaction from it. Its funny though, whenever I do any world building, the players only seem to see about half of what I write up. You can write up a whole lot of lore about every place in your world, then it turns out the players avoid the obvious road signs and go off to wherever, leaving your lore unexplored.

Its also a really daunting task taking existing lore and turning it into a distorted world for your own purposes. Best example I have is my roleplay City of Heroes (shameless plug, pls join), where I essentially took the DC TV universe, commonly called the Arrowverse after the show Arrow, and bastardized it for my own purposes. It was one of those things where I had to say, "How much of this can I use? At what point in the show do I cut it off and throw everything else that happens after away?" Taking an existing universe can be interesting because there will always be something you overlook, and using existing characters can be difficult as well.

Years
  • World building is possibly my favourite part of RPing. I've said it before, but nothing beats creating these worlds and then watching as they grow and develop under the influence of the plot. I think that's part of why most of my RPs tend to be in original settings even if they're based off of something else.

To answer your pokemon region question, I have twice that I can think of created custom pokemon regions. One for my RP Journey's Through Novia and one in WoPC. I thoroughly enjoyed both.

Have I mentioned I love to world build?

crimsoncero

In El-Harim, there lived a man, a man with yellow
    Years
  • I myself like to create games, write and RP, and it turns out world building is a major part in all of them. My goal is to become a game developer, and to rise the characters and stories I have in mind into something others can play and immerse in like I do.
    The hard part for me is setting things in stone, there are those decisions that take a huge part of how the world will shape up to be, and how it will be played in, especially in RPs. Right now I have a world I'm trying to shape up but those decisions are one of the major reasons I'm not able to do so as of right now.

Making your own world and settings is one of the most exhilarating things I like to do, the feeling of having full freedom and control is both scary and amazing at the same time.

Junier

Fake Friends Forever (´・ω・`)
    Years
    • Seen Dec 5, 2019
    World-building is practically a necessity for an enjoyable RP. That includes both original roleplays or roleplays inspired by existing works. Not having an imaginative setting reduces the dimensions of conversations and interactions, as well as ultimately makes a setting much more difficult to write in or about.

Fictional Pokemon regions take a lot of effort to create. I'd prefer to take an existing region and expand on it. That's what world-building is all about. And of course it shouldn't be the game master's sole duty to develop a setting and all of its lore. They provide the skeleton and the players add the meat.

crimsoncero

In El-Harim, there lived a man, a man with yellow
    Years
  • I've had an idea of making a form, similar to SU but for cities and towns in the settings of a RP I'm trying to shape. I will make a few big major cities, and maybe a couple of smaller towns and places but people can add their own as part of their character backstory in the SU or mid RP for many uses(telling a story, an event or just when they want to mention a town)

It will probably make GMing much more consuming as you'll have to check every Town "SU" and maybe change somethings in it to fit the settings completely, but it might make the world building process a bit more open and cooperative.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I enjoy it so much that I'll spend months, years, developing worlds for RPs before I even release them. If I even get to that point.

That sense of power... the ability to shape and organize a world exactly to your liking... and sometimes, not to your liking to create a better story and conflict... it's such a rush. Coming up with even the littlest of things is fun. And if I'm not good at a certain aspect, I just hand it over to my bud and he makes it better for me. (Like maps or scientific-type things) So it just gets even more fun. Working with someone else and discussing how to create a world is really one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever felt. Especially if you can weave your ideas in and out with that other person, and create brilliance. I really cannot emphasize how alive it makes me feel. I enjoy it so much. When I create RPs, I also encourage people to shape my world together with me because of how much I love collaboration like that. It's a shame they're often hesitant and afraid to do so out of fear of breaking my plans or the stories.

World building though, it is hard work, and I can only concentrate my attention on crafting one world at a time. I've been working on that one world for years. Anything else is a small side project that I can't really give too much attention to. For things outside of this world and concept, I prefer to go with others' ideas and let them take me along for the ride. Their interpretations of Pokemon or even original content give me more variety and can even be inspiring to my own thoughts.

If you're curious though, I have designed my own Pokemon region in conjunction with my map-mapping buddy, Mr. Lunaris Adamantine. For an RP concept that we've kind of scrapped for now. This is the map. He made it; I just colored it. This region is unique in that there are technically no Pokemon on it... at least the surface. Pokemon training is illegal, and all Pokemon are actually humans who have been punished for committing various crimes forced to work underground as slave labor.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • One of the main reasons I delved into roleplaying was to sate the burning desire to craft universes and dimensions and slot life and death into them, and basically appease my inner God-complex XD

I always prefer to use my own creations. Canon just makes me feel restricted, which technically I am bound by the creator's rules and principles, and requires lots of research invested to stay committed to the original content without like desecrating someone's else brain-child and trust me, it is so so easy to disfigure canonical worlds (totally not being shady about roleplays based off canon).

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I love worldbuilding. I love making lore. And I love doing both within some of the more vague, open-to-interpretation, or less restricted rps of others. When I try to create original worlds of my own filled with all these different tidbits of lore and majestic scenery I end up just putting it together into a quick little story that I never actually finish over in FF&W. Even though it's fun, I feel like I can only actually follow through with it when I have someone on the other side of the screen pushing for me to continue on the road I've begun to pave.

I've not made up my own region yet, and don't know that I would to be honest... but maybe I could make something like a digimon/pokemon crossover type thing where my region is actually just a single small island where only a handful of pokemon actually exist outside of the water so everyone spends all of their time playing online with digimon... I'm not really the biggest pokemon fan outside of enjoying the games for a playthrough or two.

Back