• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

how have you improved in the last 12 months?

pkmin3033

Sure, I'll roll with this. Posting in a topic that requires me to be positive actually requires some effort and acknowledgement of personal growth, something I don't typically indulge in...and may not have twelve months ago. So there's a point already: twelve months ago I would have either left this sort of topic alone or just posted an extremely sardonic comment. Result! Off to a good start here.

Anyways. Health-wise, whilst I am a long way off from where I would like to be I am more stable now than I was previously, both physically and mentally. I've made a lot of changes over the last year and they've paid off a bit, at last. I have off periods - the last couple of weeks have been extremely difficult for me for reasons I will not be going into - but things like this are more infrequent and I'm recovering from them a lot faster. Maybe my way of managing isn't as ideal as it could be, but it's not as self-destructive as it was previously.

Twelve months ago I was also locked down in a secondary care nightmare that had me two steps away from being sectioned under a MHA. Now I'm just going for monthly checkups - although I have a set criteria I need to meet each month to avoid re-referral, but they're fairly lenient - and I have a volunteer position in a school that I go to once or twice a week. So I've started piecing my life back together.

Sure, I'm still a complete wreck, and my future is rather bleak: I have no friends, no job prospects, and no idea how long it'll be before I can really manage, if ever I can. But you can't really undo two decade's worth of damage over the space of a year, can you? One day at a time, one step at a time. I'm better off now than I was a year ago, and that is largely due to my efforts. I at least have myself now, and I'm starting to be able to rely on myself a lot more than I could before. So yeah. Yay for me, I guess.

I'm probably going to delete this later, but I at least made an effort, right?

Sirfetch’d

I've drastically improved my health from a year ago. Around this time last year I wasn't really concerned about my diet and ate whatever I felt like. My metabolism is really high so I have never been punished with weight gain for overeating. However, I was really starting to feel sickly, I wasn't sleeping well, I was always exhausted, etc. I told myself that I was going to completely turn around my diet and I did! I still eat things that I enjoy but I make sure to balance my diet with a healthy dose of exercise each day. I feel 10 times better than I did a year ago.

Years
    No, I've stopped improving a long while ago. :| I feel like I'm slowly dying inside and that saps all my motivation to improve... anything.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
    I've learned that visual kei is my real path for one thing. I've also learned that you can't always trust others. After dealing with fakes, I feel like I can't trust every person I meet firsthand. I have trust issues with people, which makes it hard to make friends for me. It's one of the reasons, at least.

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    Actually, the last 12 months have been quite earth-shaking for me. It'd require a long backstory, and more personal details to really go into exactly how wild it has been.

But let me just say... The last 12 months have come about helping me move on from a very painful past-relationship that lingered on too long for me... AND it has brought me back into school going for the career I really want. Three years ago I gave up on ever going to school for music again. I couldn't practice like I wanted to, and ultimately even though I felt pretty confident with what I played in my last 'audition' (long story...) I fell apart actually performing it. I was so crushed, and after a recital years before where I also had troubles... I decided it wasn't for me, I decided I should stop bothering teachers and people with a dream that just isn't for me despite how much I want it. The flame died, and I resigned to working a low-paying overnight (misery) job, thinking that's where my life would end.

This last year changed everything. Everything. It's a personal story, of which some pretty amazing details will have to be left out... But in the end, I ended up with an amazing teacher. I went into lessons not thinking of school, not thinking of school at all. I was inspired to record for fun. However, in the first lesson, she got it out of me, that I really wanted to go to school, but that I was terrified.

She worked with me, and started bringing hope back into my life. She found a college to get me on the right track. I successfully got into the music program, and even got a scholarship. And now she's even got me on the right track to performing, as she had me do a recital. She told me the right words to help me along, and I had a successful recital.

I'm so happy right now. I leave that miserable overnight job in just a few short months. I get to go into the degree I want to... and now I even feel like I can perform. This is such a huge deal, it has been a HUGE dream for me, and I had thrown it away, leaving me to feel dead inside for those years. In the end, I ended up having thrown it away too soon... And I don't know if I would have ever lived to see this day if it weren't for that incredible teacher.

I can only dream of ever being able to change a student's life that much... But you never know what you will be able to do when you go into teaching.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    I've become more friendly and stopped putting on airs, or at least stopped to a certain extent. I'm being myself more. I've found friends that don't make me feel like shit to be around. I've found Love, in some capacity. I made it into the college I wanted to and will be going there in 4 months.

on the other hand, there's a lot of anxieties I've been having about my future and the aforementioned Love and moving away and independence, but I've been shelving most of them away for future me to deal with because none of them are things that are pertinent to the here and now.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    becoming more confident in myself, little by little. i think its more than just a state of mind for me. the root of my confidence seems to be my professional accomplishments. ill bet if i started doing more exercise i would feel a confidence boost too.

about it tbh, wish i had more to say

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    Similar to maccrash, I feel like I've moved away from the "friends" that I spent years hanging out with, despite the fact that they treated me terribly and clearly didn't really care about me or hanging out with me. I've found people who I really want to hang out with, and who want to hang out with me, and as a result of that I feel like I can start being myself rather than trying to fit into a mold just to talk to people who want nothing to do with me.

I also came back to PC and once again became addicted to this site which is pretty fun imo. It's been a good past year.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    hmm well this time last year i wasn't in school yet, i had a lower paying job, i was still butthurt over a relationship that transpired at the turn of the year. i feel like i've grown in the aspect of new experiences. im experiencing college and an office job, it's all very new for me and has gotten me out of my comfort zone. in regards to relationships my standards have been raised because i've now experienced being treated really well by someone.

Margaery Tyrell

Growing Strong
    Years
    I think I really have grown in certain aspects in this past year, and while at times I've felt like a step forward was two steps back - at this point in time, I know I've become better. Especially in the way I view myself - I always thought I was set, that my confidence and love for myself wasn't going to diminish ever again, but I learned that it can be tested and at times I felt even lower than I ever have before. And I grew stronger for it. I know now that its a process and I have to take it all in strides as I go - and that its okay to reach those low points. A step backward can set up a running start for a leap ahead - I'm happy that I've experienced the trials I've faced this past year. I feel more wholesome for it, healthier.

I've also learned that sometimes, no matter how much you may feel for someone, there's far more people out there - a lesson I'll likely revisit a lot in the future.

Overall though, I'm not disappointed in myself or dissatisfied, while I've grown in some areas and admittedly lost some good habits, a change is just a change. I'm happy about it. :)

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    In general, I guess quite a bit now that I think about it! I got a new, much better paying job. My boyfriend and I moved into our first real apartment together, and I've traveled to quite a few cities and have gotten to see some great people. In spite of how utterly busy I've been, I've also managed to read a lot of books and do the most amount of for-fun writing I've done in y e a r s. It's crazy.

Sometimes it's hard to put that kind of stuff into perspective though, because tbh over the last half of the year, I feel like my mental health has gotten a lot worse. So while professionally I'm doing good, I still feel like a hopeless mess most of the time. Ah well, something to keep working on improving.

Years
    The only way I've bettered myself in the last 12 months is with my health. My stomach condition is much more stable now and I feel better mentally and physically.

Next thing to do on the list to bettering myself would be to find a job and gain a little weight.

Years
    • Seen Jun 20, 2016
    I eat more fruits and veggies... Now going to the bathroom is the best part of my day!

KetsuekiR

Ridiculously unsure
    Years
    I've drastically improved my sleep schedule. There was a time where I would only get around two to four hours of sleep a day and somedays none at all, and it really showed. I would end up super tired in school, my friends began to worry, and my grades were at an all time low.

Then at one point I decided that if I was ever going to do the things I want to do, I had to get my crap together and work for it. I forced myself to get into the habit of sleeping for at least six hours, and as a result, I was more focused and my grades improved tremendously. Good stuff. c:

Back