• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Final Fantasy - Series Discussion Thread

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Only one question I can answer lol

Favourite Game?
    FFX. Only game I've actually beaten.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Only one question I can answer lol

Favourite Game?
    FFX. Only game I've actually beaten.
    One of my favourites too, and the first one I played <3 Do you have a favourite character among the FFX cast?

Final Fantasy was my first experience with games that had a big focus on the plot, and I remember at the time it just blew my mind that a game could have such an intricate and emotional story. I think I was like 10 when I played it, and up until then it was all stuff like Pokémon and Mario and Tetris, so I was just like what is this feeling, I actually care about the characters

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    One of my favourites too, and the first one I played <3 Do you have a favourite character among the FFX cast?

Final Fantasy was my first experience with games that had a big focus on the plot, and I remember at the time it just blew my mind that a game could have such an intricate and emotional story. I think I was like 10 when I played it, and up until then it was all stuff like Pokémon and Mario and Tetris, so I was just like what is this feeling, I actually care about the characters

I honestly can't say :/ None of them really stand out I guess? Maybe Aurpon. Wait... Auron? I have no idea how to spell his name lol.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • -I'm definitely bias towards FFIX as it's the game that got me hooked on the JRPG genre, but I don't know if it's my favorite overall title anymore. I think FFV might actually have my spot as favorite. It definitely gets over looked sometimes for not having as comparable a cast or depth in storyline to the other SNES titles (IV and VI) but I still think it's charm and sense of adventure more than makes up for it. The job class system was great, the freedom to build characters with mixed abilities was really well done too. And that OST is magical.

-Vivi's existential crisis throughout FFIX was one of the highlights of the game for me. Vivi's question is about his true individuality, and I loved the journey throughout the game to find his answer. Easily my favorite character.

-I never gave FFXII much of a chance due to being turned off by it's MMO style battle system. I gave FFXIII a try because my friend swore it was the best thing ever, but I barely got even halfway
    before just getting bored.

Edit: Hard to pick one favorite song, but I always loved the music surrounding the scene of entering Memoria.

Last edited:

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
  • When it comes to the Final Fantasy series, one thing about this year is that this year is the 30th anniversary.

Now when it comes to the topic questions, here are my answers.

When it comes to my favorite Final Fantasy game, my favorite happens to be Final Fantasy IV (GBA version) since that was the game that got me interested in the series.

When it comes to my favorite song, it happens to be a three way tie between Clash on the Big Bridge, Dancing Mad, and Wings of Fire.

When it comes to my favorite character, here are my top five favorites:
    Gilgamesh
    Kain Highwind
    Judge Gabranth
    Golbez
    Garland (Final Fantasy I)

I don't think that there are any games in the series that I don't like.

When it comes to my favorite boss, I can think of some
    Gilgamesh
    Barbariccia
    Bahamut Fury
    General Qator Bashtar

When it comes to my favorite weapon, it would probably be the Brave Blade. So after getting it in Final Fantasy V, I have to make sure I don't run from battles.

Years
  • Favourite Game?
    Final Fantasy Tactics Would be my favourite game. For me, I felt it was the best game in terms of overall strategy and not just a game of seeing how many times you'd have to cast Raise II on your characters before your warrior hit the boss hard enough.

Favourite Song?

Favourite Character?
    Hmm... Tough choice. The Lich has such a great personality, really.

Favourite Job?
    The Summoner and Black Mage. So much great potential in the classes.

Are there any games you don't like? Why?
    After six they got blah. Never really liked Sephiroth as much as 'Kefka, the psycho God'. Didn't take much to FFV either . . .

Favourite boss?
    The Emperor FFII and the Lich.

Favourite Weapon?
    The Long Bow. It's perhaps the best long Range weapons in FFT. In others though, it's always the sword or flail.

Years
  • Beaten 7 (like 3 times already), 10, and 15. Favorite being 7, can't wait for the remake.

Currently playing Type-0 HD. It's pretty decent, I would say it's the most underwhelming one I've played so far, though that's not really a slight since the ones I've completed were great.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • Ohh, I'm more of a recent fan of Final Fantasy from 2016! The early days I've played FF3 and FF7, but I haven't really gotten into the franchise until playing Final Fantasy 6. That being said, my favourite game in the franchise is indeed Final Fantasy 6 for a number of reasons! I loved all the characters in Final Fantasy 6. The music was amazing, the battles were memorable, and Kefka is one of my favourite villains now, ohoho.

I've really grown to appreciate Final Fantasy 7 and Final Fantasy 9 too. Final Fantasy X is also pretty cool! I liked the setting for that. <33

I know, still continuing the FF6 fanboy train, one of my personal favourite music from Final Fantasy is the Battle to the Death sound track from Final Fantasy 6:

But I think many of the tracks from Final Fantasy 9 and Final Fantasy 7 is really good! Even Final Fantasy 8 had really cool music to listen to from time to time; there are loads to name. <33

For characters, I loved Terra. Terra is a protagonist that I haven't seen much in video gaming; she was used by the empire and when she regained herself, she had these terrible memories of everything she done... it was sort of tragic, in a way. She then has to choose what's right for herself and figure out her own definition of love. Loved her character overall. ;v; But aside from Terra Branford, I liked Aerith, Zidane, Edgar, and a few others, but those ones are on the top of my head so far.

For least favourite games, I disliked everything about Final Fantasy 13. It's more of a mixed bag, and not everything about it is bad really... but I disliked it overall, urgh. For the characters, I couldn't really stand them much at all: I mean Lightning got Cloud syndrome and was moody and set herself apart from the others at first. She got a little better though. Vanille and Snow were also okay, but Hope was whiny, and Sazh is kind of an idiot imo, urgh. The battle system was sort of boring in my opinion and the plot wasn't really memorable.

My favourite bosses? Sephiroth, Kuja and Kefka are all tied for me. I liked their characters, the battle scenario was generally epic, and the music was just outstanding for all three of them. But credit to Seymour from X though, he was kind of challenging!

As for my favourite weapons, I do like the Gunblades from FF8, but I guess I have a soft spot for Tidus's main sword, and the Mage Mashers from FF9 were the most memorable for me. ^^ Love dual blades, oooh.

Hands down my favourite Overworld is Final Fantasy 6's world of ruin. Dark, dangerous, filled with death, and the monsters are insane. So wonderful to voyage through. :]

Years
  • Favourite Game?
    Hmm this is a rather hard question but if i was to go with one of them i would pick Final fantasy 5 since i really like the Story it has going on with the void

I didn't like this game that much at first But when i first heard about Exdeath and his plan for the void this all changed Why? it's simple i was curious as to why
    He wanted to destroy the world so badly

And second just to that is the Blue magic in that game It sure is a difficult task to get them all but when you do Your character that is the Blue mage class will be nearly unstoppable
    Other than that i would say This game has some of the best music i've heard in a RPG in a long while.

Favourite Song?

Favourite Character?
    Krile is my favorite character in the series by far I like her small jokes with the Main character Bartz

Favorite Job?
    I would have to go with the Dragoon since i like the pure awesomeness And also i like the jumping ability the job has

I don't really have a Final fantasy game i dislike that much But if i were to pick one i would have to go with Final fantasy 3
    The music in that game is so repetitive Like they repeat it for multiple it for other areas in the game I get it if it's a Boss but the Dungeons? no i don't really understand that.

Favourite Boss?
    Gilgamesh because of his Great personality his numerous fights with the Party and his Amazing collection of swords etc

Favorite Weapon?
    Excalipoor because of it's fantastic ability to never miss

Which overworld is your favourite?
    latest

Last edited:
    Years
  • Favorite Game? IX, with VII as a close second.

Favorite Song? This series is so huge it's impossible to pick just one, so have a few:
    -Opening Theme/Crossing the Bridge (FFI)
    -The Red Wings/Cecil's Theme (FFIV)
    -The Great Warrior (FFVII)
    -The Place I'll Return to Someday (FFIX)
    -Sword of Doubt (FFIX)
    -A Fleeting Dream/Someday The Dream Will End (FFX)
    -Somnus (FFXV)

Favorite Character? I'm gonna cheat and go with the entire FFIX cast. Even the ones that it forgot about, like Freya. Game why

Favorite Job (since this apparently got mixed in somewhere)?
    Red Mage. Still annoyed that there wasn't a playable one in IX despite having Red Mage NPCs running around.

Are there any games you don't like? Why? II for its awful "leveling" system. VI, VIII, and XII get honorable mentions, though it's less because I particularly dislike them and more because I've tried and tried to play them and just can't get into them.

Favorite Boss? Beatrix from IX, since she's the one boss that you're forced to lose against in any video game that I know of that you fight several times and never beat at any point through the game.

Favorite Overworld? IX, because of course I'm going to go with that here, too.

Dragon

lover of milotics
    Years
  • I hear Final Fantasy 12 is an amazing game, so I'm looking forward to this remake! I also hear that they're going to incorporate some sort of system that wasn't released outside Japan, so if that's the case, I'm also looking forward on seeing what that's all about. :]

I'm still gearing up to the FF7 remake, so it will keep us until then~

Years
  • FFXII: A Zodiac Age should be gracing us in the western world on this date, folks. We can also expect revamped character models and cutscenes, an auto-save feature , shorter load times, and an improved turbo mode. I wonder what this turbo mode is...

Anyways, who's hype for it?! I know I am!
    [/LEFT]
    [/CENTER]

YES, I will be getting this, needed another Final Fantasy game to play this year :3

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • I'll give FFXII another shot when it's released. As I mentioned above, the battle system was the main turn-off for me originally, but maybe I'll warm up to it this time. The other issue I had was that Vaan clearly should have not been the main character as he sorta feel shoehorned in. (I think even the director mentioned something about this) That being said, the game gets a lot of praise so there's definitely something there.

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
    Years
  • My opinions are pretty unpopular as far as the series goes...
    Favourite Game: Final Fantasy IV. Has an amazing story, interesting version differences, and has 2 sequel games to supplement it in the Complete Collection. Record Keeper and VI come pretty close.
    Favourite Song: Fierce Battle, FFVI (Vs. Ultima Weapon)
    Favourite Character: Red XIII. He's by far the most unique character of FF7 and he's constantly overshadowed, but he has by far one of the saddest backstories I've ever seen, even if it's only explored once or twice. Plus he's super strong in battle.
    Are there any games you don't like? All the Bravest.
    Favourite Boss: All of the Sicarius boss battles from FF Mobius.
    Favourite Weapon: I'm fond of the Magic Comb. More out of a personal reason than anything which makes sense- one time while playing FF Record Keeper I got a rare item pull with three of them, so Red XIII in there is pretty OP now :P

Years
  • my current favorite final fantasy characters in the Final Fantasy series Serah Farron (FFXIII/XIII-2), Rikku (FFX/X-2), Rem Tokimiya (FF type-0), Iris Amicitia (FFXV)
    favorite song: N/a
    favorite weapon: i have to say is Illumina/lightbringer or ring of Lucii
    favorite game: dont really have one
    games you dont like: lightning returns

Luck

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Years
    • Seen May 20, 2023
    Any opinions on Final Fantasy XV DLC Episodes and patches coming out? I had a lot of problems with the core game, but the amount of effort they're putting into improving and fixing it makes me want to try it again when it's complete.

Favourite Game?
    Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions w/ slowdown patch. If we're talking strictly mainline, then Final Fantasy V Advance.
    Favourite Song?
    These are a couple of my favorites.

Their performed songs are usually good, if a bit cheesy, but Stand By Me sticks out in particular.
    Favourite Character?
    I rather liked Ramza and Delita, but Ramza wasn't exactly deep. I actually really liked all 4 of the boys in FF XV, repetitive dialogue and brain dead AI aside. FF VII Cid steals the highlight
    II is the only one that I derive no pleasure from playing, but I think IV is the worst FF that's still playable.
    II is a broken mess from top to bottom. It has some cool concepts and a good OST in typical FF fashion, but it's plagued by questionable design decisions. The most irritating part is probably the dungeon design though. The "leveling" mechanics are at least unique and can work if tweaked and changed around a bit, but what fun is there to be had from guessing which door progresses the dungeon and which 3 are empty rooms with high monster encounter rates?
    IV's story is an embarrassment even for its time, and I think the gameplay is much too bland to make up for its claustrophobic linearity.
    VIII is a bigger broken mess than II and IV combined and I can completely understand the hate it gets, but I always have a good time exploiting its mechanics in between Triple Triad matches. It's easily the coziest game in the series.
    Favourite boss?
    Always a big fan of Demon Wall and its iterations. I love Gilgamesh in everything he takes part in, and the entire Doomtrain segment in FF VI was perfect.
    Favourite Weapon?
    I like FF VII's nail bat just because it's unique and silly, but I don't usually pay that much attention to weapons, aside from iconic stuff like Buster Sword, Excalibur, Blood Sword, etc.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I'm enjoying FFXV right now and i still need time to play it more if i consider it a "gift from the Father" much like some of last year's games were.

thread proper:

Fave FF Title: Probably 8, 10, 6, and 4. Counting Spinoffs, FF Tactics is definitely in a great spot.
    Fave song: Thousand Words
    Fave Character: Squall (FF8) mainly for his coat + gunblade, also I wore a costume based off on him A LONG LONG time go.
    Favorite Boss?: Ruby Weapon because its one of those bosses that made me rage back in the day

Minato Riku

My Japanese Sweetheart
    Years
  • Favourite Game?
    Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II (Both are in PSP Version), Final Fantasy III (DS Version), Final Fantasy IV (GBA/PSP Version), Final Fantasy V (GBA/IOS and Android Version), Final Fantasy VI (GBA/IOS and Android Version), Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2/Lightning Returns: FFXIII.

Favourite Song?
    As a FF theme songs here's my favorite:

Spoiler:

Favourite Character?
    Terra, Sabin, Shadow and Gogo (FFVI), Ramza and Agrias Oaks (FFTactics), and my ultimate favorite character is Claire Farron a.k.a Lightning (FFXIII series).

Final Fantasy VIII, because I always lose when it come to play cards :t057:

Favourite boss?
    Kaiser Dragon and Omega Weapon (FFVI GBA/IOS and Android), Zeromus EG (FFIV GBA/PSP), Exdeath, Neo Exdeath and Enuo (FFV GBA/IOS and Android), Bhunivelze (Lightning Returns: FFXIII), Dark Emperor and Light Emperor (Final Fantasy II GBA/PSP)

Favourite Weapon?
    Lightbringer and Blood Sword....

Spoiler:

Last edited:

TheCobaltComet

Investigator
    Years
  • Favourite Game?
    Final Fantasy I and Final Fantasy II (Both are in PSP Version), Final Fantasy III (DS Version), Final Fantasy IV (GBA/PSP Version), Final Fantasy V (GBA/IOS and Android Version), Final Fantasy VI (GBA/IOS and Android Version), Final Fantasy XIII/XIII-2/Lightning Returns: FFXIII.

Favourite Song?
    As a FF theme songs here's my favorite:

Spoiler:

Favourite Character?
    Terra, Sabin, Shadow and Gogo (FFVI), Ramza and Agrias Oaks (FFTactics), and my ultimate favorite character is Claire Farron a.k.a Lightning (FFXIII series).

Final Fantasy VIII, because I always lose when it come to play cards :t057:

Favourite boss?
    Kaiser Dragon and Omega Weapon (FFVI GBA/IOS and Android), Zeromus EG (FFIV GBA/PSP), Exdeath, Neo Exdeath and Enuo (FFV GBA/IOS and Android), Bhunivelze (Lightning Returns: FFXIII), Dark Emperor and Light Emperor (Final Fantasy II GBA/PSP)

Favourite Weapon?
    Lightbringer and Blood Sword....

Spoiler:

Dude, the thing about picking favourites, you don't list all the ones you like, you pick one or two XD

Back