• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: Nintendo Switch Discussion [OUT NOW!]

Mawa

The typo Queen
Years
  • 1) Do you prefer the additional controller, Joy-Con mode or "tablet mode"?
    I like the grip that come with the bundle! (I loved the N64 controller so I know I am weird). Playing with just the joycon isn't bad neither, way better than the Wiimote and nunchuck!

2) What's your favourite thing about it?
    Well I love handheld console so an hybrid is something I love, and it does work well on both ways! There's many way to play (console, tabletop, handheld, joycon in each hand, in a more classic controller way, on the handheld option, or with a pro controller, so there's something for almost everyone). It is fast! Now I can see how much the wiiU is slow :o

3) What's your biggest gripe about it?
    ... I have the connection issue with the joycon. Not that bad since I mostly play handheld and in the basement's tv (basement is small so I am sitting close and not many wireless stuff around it). It just sucks because of the price, you expect having something that work well... day one bundles I guess.
    Oh and the lack of charging while playing tabletop. The tabletop option is pretty nice imo but the plug is in the bottom, bad place.
    Oh and I kinda have an hard time to close the Switch whn in the console mode. I plug it on the dock station and it open.. but maybe that's just me doing something wrong.I wouldn't be surprised.

4) What's your hand size?
    Huh I don't know, not big but long fingers. It does fit well in my hand. I understand it is not for everyone tho.

Years
  • Anyone who has a Switch having any of the defective unit issues at all? Like bricking, controller sync issues, freezing and so on. I had another issue the other day that scared the s*** out of me. I was attaching the wrist strap, and I had put them on the correct way because I knew about the issue with the strap coming off. I hate how hard these things are to come off even when you put it on correctly, it still feels like it's gonna break something even when you have the lock not in place, definitely not smooth like putting the Joy-Cons into the grip or on the system. So I was able to take the strap off of the left Joy-Con but the right one was giving me major issues. After a few minutes of trying I went as hard as I could to pull it off and it came off with a unhealthy sounding click. Then I went and pressed the home button to connect to the system, nothing happened. Tried pressing every button on the Joy-Con, nothing happened. I was so scared that I had possibly broken my right Joy-Con. I tested the left one and it was working fine. As a last ditch effort I thought reconnecting it to the console would bring it back, and thank goodness it did and I haven't had syncing issues since. I have only had two so far.

Oh another thing to note. My roommate was completely convinced that my Switch was interfering with his PS4 controller. He says that once I got into his room and started playing his controller started not responding. He showed me and it was skipping like crazy on just the home menu. I told him that he was just trying to screw with me since he pokes fun at my Nintendoism. He then started slowly moving the controller towards the PS4 then towards the Switch. Then when it was close to the Switch it was having the choppy connection. Maybe the Switch makes other controllers in the region get bad connection.

So after that I told him that Nintendo is so amazing that when it's in the vicinity of other consoles that aren't Nintendo it makes them start functioning incorrectly.

So anyway, any issues with any of your units?

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Reading through the instructions of Merging Funds for the Switch's eshop, is it saying that if I merge my funds from my Nintendo Network with my Nintendo Account, I'll lose all of my funds from my Nintendo Network? Or does that only happen if I separate my Nintendo Network from my Nintendo Account? I want to buy the season pass for BotW, but I also want to buy Conquest and Revelations from my Birthright copy and use the money for Nintendo Badge Arcade.

Years
  • Reading through the instructions of Merging Funds for the Switch's eshop, is it saying that if I merge my funds from my Nintendo Network with my Nintendo Account, I'll lose all of my funds from my Nintendo Network? Or does that only happen if I separate my Nintendo Network from my Nintendo Account? I want to buy the season pass for BotW, but I also want to buy Conquest and Revelations from my Birthright copy and use the money for Nintendo Badge Arcade.
    Pretty sure it works the way it does now but just adds your Switch.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Switch seems to be getting off to a good start if the sales numbers are anything to go by. Fastest selling launch console of any in France, fastest selling launch Nintendo console in North America, Aus & NZ, and the Japan & UK numbers are impressive too. Idk what this means for the console long term, but it's good to see the Switch getting a great launch.

Years
  • I'm worried about some of the issues because I won't be getting a warranty. We don't have authorised repair shops here.
    I'll wait until Diwali time to buy one.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I'm worried about some of the issues because I won't be getting a warranty. We don't have authorised repair shops here.
    I'll wait until Diwali time to buy one.
    I didn't get a warranty either but most retail stores have thirty day warranty and I believe Nintendo themselves for now are repairing systems that are defective it just takes time to send/receive the system back. My Switch has been fine, like with any system the defects are being blown out of proportion.

What is Diwali?

Years
  • The problem is that Nintendo doesn't have repair services available in all countries. For instance, Nintendo pulled out of Brazil due to rising prices, so there's no ability to redeem warranties from Nintendo there, and therefore repairs become much more difficult unless shops around the area use third-party online stores to purchase parts and only hope to repair the consoles that need fixing unless they have some leaked tools, those of which probably don't actually exist.
    I didn't know this, I thought it all got sent to one place like Japan or something. Pretty dumb of me honestly.

Florges

The Garden Pokémon
    Years
  • 1) Do you prefer the additional controller, Joy-Con mode or "tablet mode"?
    I personally hate the Joy-Con. Everything feels too cluttered in my opinion. Luckily, my fiance was able to get us both pro controllers. I have been playing it on that instead. I do enjoy the tablet, but I have yet to really utilize the mobility feature.

2) What's your favourite thing about it?
    The entire unit itself is small, a lot smaller than I thought it would be. It's nice considering I have my Wii U and PS4 stored in the same area.

Aside from the Joy-Con controller, I really don't like the plug size. When I get paid I have to buy a bigger power surge so I can plug that, DirecTV, and my PS4. Right now I can either have the Switch plugged in or DirecTV and the PS4. The plug is a literal brick.

4) What's your hand size? (this kinda goes hand in hand - no pun intended- with Q1).
    I personally think I have abnormally large hands for a girl.

Overall, I really do like the system. I plan on getting Blaster Master Zero next week so Zelda is not alone!

Years
  • 2) What's your favourite thing about it?
    The entire unit itself is small, a lot smaller than I thought it would be. It's nice considering I have my Wii U and PS4 stored in the same area.

Aside from the Joy-Con controller, I really don't like the plug size. When I get paid I have to buy a bigger power surge so I can plug that, DirecTV, and my PS4. Right now I can either have the Switch plugged in or DirecTV and the PS4. The plug is a literal brick.
    You and me have the same setup too, I have my Switch on the right and PS4 on the left while the Wii U sits in between. And yeah the system is so tiny, I love how small it is.

The size of the brick reminds me of the SNES, doesn't bother me too much though.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I also have a question about the joy cons

i have large hands... will the joy cons be uncomfortable?

for reference, my hand is like 8.5-9 inches (depending where you start) in length and the width is almost 4 inches.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'll have extended portable play this weekend of it I feel, so I could say more on that. But I've played a lot with the joycons together (just not on the Switch itself, the other setup that comes with the thing) already and have had no issues beyond memorising a new button layout. Compared to say the Wii U Gamepad when longer playing sessions did hurt my hand a bit (e.g. MK8).

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Anyone who has a Switch having any of the defective unit issues at all? Like bricking, controller sync issues, freezing and so on. I had another issue the other day that scared the s*** out of me. I was attaching the wrist strap, and I had put them on the correct way because I knew about the issue with the strap coming off. I hate how hard these things are to come off even when you put it on correctly, it still feels like it's gonna break something even when you have the lock not in place, definitely not smooth like putting the Joy-Cons into the grip or on the system. So I was able to take the strap off of the left Joy-Con but the right one was giving me major issues. After a few minutes of trying I went as hard as I could to pull it off and it came off with a unhealthy sounding click. Then I went and pressed the home button to connect to the system, nothing happened. Tried pressing every button on the Joy-Con, nothing happened. I was so scared that I had possibly broken my right Joy-Con. I tested the left one and it was working fine. As a last ditch effort I thought reconnecting it to the console would bring it back, and thank goodness it did and I haven't had syncing issues since. I have only had two so far.

Oh another thing to note. My roommate was completely convinced that my Switch was interfering with his PS4 controller. He says that once I got into his room and started playing his controller started not responding. He showed me and it was skipping like crazy on just the home menu. I told him that he was just trying to screw with me since he pokes fun at my Nintendoism. He then started slowly moving the controller towards the PS4 then towards the Switch. Then when it was close to the Switch it was having the choppy connection. Maybe the Switch makes other controllers in the region get bad connection.

So after that I told him that Nintendo is so amazing that when it's in the vicinity of other consoles that aren't Nintendo it makes them start functioning incorrectly.

So anyway, any issues with any of your units?

The internals of the joycon things are really cheap and nasty compared to prior Ninty products, they're probably messing with the bluetooth signal with the PS4. The latest PS4 system update is a little jumpy too so it's likely a mix of both platforms messing up

Years
  • The internals of the joycon things are really cheap and nasty compared to prior Ninty products, they're probably messing with the bluetooth signal with the PS4. The latest PS4 system update is a little jumpy too so it's likely a mix of both platforms messing up
    How do you know they are cheap and nasty? From what I can tell it has the usual Nintendo build quality which is good. I also decided to watch a full disassembly of the Switch in its entirety including the Joy-Con, dock, and even the grips. Never once did I hear anything about the Joy-Con being poorly made or it's pieces being cheap. Do you have information on this to explain more?

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    How do you know they are cheap and nasty? From what I can tell it has the usual Nintendo build quality which is good. I also decided to watch a full disassembly of the Switch in its entirety including the Joy-Con, dock, and even the grips. Never once did I hear anything about the Joy-Con being poorly made or it's pieces being cheap. Do you have information on this to explain more?

The internals on the left joycon are crap. Lazy on Nintendo's part.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/heres-why-the-switchs-left-joy-con-could-have-connection-issues/

They cut corners with the Left joycon, it's not even hard to fix, it was just a cheap and tacky way to assemble it.

The unit itself (the Switch tablet) isn't poorly made, just the left Joycon. I should've clarified I only meant the left one

Years
  • The internals on the left joycon are crap. Lazy on Nintendo's part.

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/heres-why-the-switchs-left-joy-con-could-have-connection-issues/

They cut corners with the Left joycon, it's not even hard to fix, it was just a cheap and tacky way to assemble it.

The unit itself (the Switch tablet) isn't poorly made, just the left Joycon. I should've clarified I only meant the left one
    Thanks for the article. Looks like on all furture Joy-Con they just need to put an actual antenna like the right one.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen May 2, 2024
    Thanks for the article. Looks like on all furture Joy-Con they just need to put an actual antenna like the right one.

Yeah, they need to do a better job with the left one, its nasty. Probably whats causing the PS4 issue. If you buy a Switch for the price it is you deserve quality in both joycon

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    You can pre-load the Splatoon 2 Global Testfire now.

Back