• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Games that have aged well

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Are there any older games that you think still hold up relatively well by today's standards? What sort of qualities make a game able to withstand the test of time, in your eyes?

L'Belle

I am beauty!
    Years
  • Zoo Tycoon 2 I feel is still really fun.

I think it is actually much, much better than the Zoo Tycoon we have for the Xbox, since it actually allows you to build a unique zoo instead of pretty much just grabbing pre-built exhibits. The graphics also have a certain charm them. The other thing is that its fanbase is still active. The fanbase is older off course, because the game itself is old, but it's still relatively active.

I might be biased because this was literally my childhood, but I just love this game to death :p

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Call of Duty Black Ops 2:
    - This is probably my favorite Call of Duty game among the rest mainly for what it is. Its been almost 5 years since BLOPS2 came out and this game still remains as my favorite mainly for offering both a decent Single Player campaign and an EXCELSOR multiplayer offering that the rest of the COD games still can't match up with.

Quake 3 Arena:
    - Its been more than 10 years and Quake 3 was and is still so good in a lot of ways mainly for its extremely fast and frantic movement that up to this day, no other Multiplayer FPS game still can't match up. And its a good thing that Quake Champions is basically Quake 3 with a very pretty face lift and a few bells and whistles added.

Fallout New Vegas:
    - It will take me 10 years and 10 pages worth of text to even explain why.

Years
  • Pokemon Emerald and Black Ops 2 are two of my favourite games ever and I still find them extremely fun to play to this day. BO2 finally came out on Xbox One backwards compatibility last month and I'm playing it loads atm, whilst I always find myself drawn back to Emerald as well.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I can't believe i'm saying this but...

Doom 3: BFG Edition well okay Doom 3 in general.

I'll go out in my way to say that I DO NOT dislike Doom 3 in general even though its obviously my least favorite within the series, and in this context, "least favorite" simply means within the bottom but is I still like regardless. Having played Doom 3 from the base game and down to the BFG Edition did make me appreciate the game in a better light.

Doom 3 was a game i had a lot of complains about mainly due to the rather bullocks Flashlight system in the original base game, which was fixed in the further editions of said game. Of course while Doom 3 was a huge departure from the classic formula that we loved, and the form that was resurrected in the 2016 reboot, what I did like about Doom 3 was it being a different entity altogether. For some reason, it was a game of its down and the way that the game uses lighting as part of the atmosphere was quite well done. The graphics of Doom 3 thanks to that lovely IDTech4 engine still holds up to today's standards considering that game and graphics engine is already more than a decade old.

Now for the gameplay, it is a lot slower paced, perhaps it is the slowest of all the mainline Doom games thanks to it having a semi-survival horror approach especially in the earlier levels. Though once you do get further in the game, the action does start to pick itself up and the game gets more action packed. Also, of all the mainline Doom games, Doom 3 does have the most bosses, and some of these boss battles as far as FPS standards go (and excluding Doom 2016's boss fights because those are way too good as a baseline), the Boss battles in Doom 3 are quite well done. Not to mention that there are some pretty interesting monsters in said game that could have made its way in Doom 2016 (maybe in the sequel to the Reboot ;) ).

But yeah, shoving aside any Doom 3 hate for abandoning the series' run-n-gun-rip-n-tear formula, Doom 3 still has some of its quirks that make it a unique and still worthy entry in the series. As far as aging well, it definitely holds up. Its one of those games that greatly mixes the classic FPS formula with a bit of the Survival Horror mix, something that a couple of games can be like in the near future.

Reyzadren

Arid trainer
    Years
  • Guild Wars, first released in 2005, is still the best online game imo.

No grind, highly customisable characters, great storylines/missions with high replayability, low CPU resources yet acceptable graphics. Why don't other mmorpgs learn?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I was surprised to see that a lot of people still play Worms Armageddon online?? o.O I supposed it aged well. And I can see why.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • ET. For the Atari 2600.

This might sound like a joke, but think about it: how many games can claim to be equally as bad today as they are when they released?

ET's a true masterpiece in that regard that should be made an example of.

Particularly in a ditch but hey even those still work after 20+ years so I mean

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    Black Ops 2 is still a really nice and fun game, even for someone not into the genre. I also think the Gen III Pokémon games aged really well, as the games still look fresh even after 10+ years.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    I mentioned this in another thread, but I ordered The World Ends With You a year or two back to replay it as I lost my original copy, and I think it's still really good for a game that's like a decade old (which isn't that old in comparison to a lot of other games) - the style definitely holds up, and everything from the gameplay to story is unique and interesting enough for it to still be a good game in another ten years.
    I was surprised to see that a lot of people still play Worms Armageddon online?? o.O I supposed it aged well. And I can see why.
    The Worms games in general do age pretty well, imo. I've played some of the newer ones and honestly I don't think they're that different - minor graphical improvements and new items, but the general style and gameplay doesn't change much, and it definitely works for them.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Online now
    Chrono Trigger, Terranigma and Kirby's Adventure are some of those games. They're easy to pick up and fun to play even after over twenty years.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • Black Ops II definitely has aged well. Its one of my all time favorite games and one of my most played games, and there are still a lot of people playing online in both zombies and PvP.

Urist McHemlock

Jack Frost of the Jack Brothers
    Years
  • Super Mario Brothers 3 has aged exceptionally well. It's easy to pick up and play, and the music still is stuck in my head after all of these years.

Years
  • I would say that Doom 1 has aged quite well Even though it's old and the graphics aren't the best It can still be a great experience for someone who loves old school shooters And if you don't like anything in it you can always download mods for it expanding the fun of Doom.

pastelspectre

Memento Mori★
    Years
  • spyro 3 year of the dragon has aged well, imo. sure the graphics are..iffy, but still a good game and fun for me to pick up years later to play again.

also kirby's amazing mirror for game boy advance has aged well too imo.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast/Gamecube. I still love it, despite the voice acting. That just adds an extra layer of nostalgic charm, IMO XD it's one of my all-time favourite games and I often go back to it to play it again.

Also, Lion King for Mega Drive/SNES. Such an awesome game. I put so much time into that way back when, and I still like to play it now.

Yukari

A lot of the Super Mario games have aged remarkably well. In particular I think of Super Mario World; it still looks good and plays really good even after all these years.

Back