• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone here play sports games?

Years
  • About 10 years ago when I discovered my passion for hockey is when I lost my passion for Pokemon. Form then until last year hockey was pretty much my life. I didn't play it (should've learnt to skate), but I'm a massive fan and have been a fan of my local team as long as I remember, hence the username. When I rediscovered Pokemon last year, I regained my passion and although hockey will forever be my number one passion, Pokemon is definitely right up there with it.

Throughout these years, I've been playing he NHL games, but also the FIFA and MLB games as I am a general fan of all sports on top of a hockey fan. As far as people I know, I am the only one who has a serious passion about not only sports but Pokemon as well. Thats why I was wondering if anyone here plays any sports games. I've looked throughout eh posts and haven't seen much about them. It would be interesting to see if anyone has similar views as I do towards sports and Pokemon.

Sawsbuck

used Jump Kick! It's super effective!
    Years
  • I like Triple Play 2001 and I have a baseball game on my phone that I play almost everyday. I also had MLB 2K11 for DS (until my brother lost the cartridge and damaged the screen on my 3DS...)
    I love watching the Tigers, Wings, and Lions and have so since 2008, when I became a sports fan.

Years
  • At least half of my time spent gaming is on sports games. The NHL series will forever be my #1, dating all the way back to the early days on the Sega Genesis. FIFA and Madden are up there as well, and I'll occasionally play MLB, UFC, or whatever golf game's out (though there hasn't been a good one this gen).

As far as people I know, I am the only one who has a serious passion about not only sports but Pokemon as well. Thats why I was wondering if anyone here plays any sports games. I've looked throughout eh posts and haven't seen much about them. It would be interesting to see if anyone has similar views as I do towards sports and Pokemon.
    From what I've gathered, there doesn't seem to be a huge crossover between the two, at least here on PC. There are a few of us here and there, but discussions never seem to last that long, especially for sports games.

Years
  • I've been playing sports based spreadsheet games since 2005.

a8rTuVz.png

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    MLB The Show is the only sports game I play on a consistent basis. Hasn't been a good tennis game in a while, and I only get the Maddens and NBA games of the world if they have a Cleveland athlete on the cover, so...

Years
  • As far as sports games go, I generally prefer to play in the GM modes. I've been playing the online soccer sim XpertEleven for about 10 years now (problem is, so has just about everyone else who is still playing). I also enjoy the GM mode of MLB The Show, and I have 06, 07, 09, and 12 from that series, and as it's the most in-depth sim that's still relatively accessible, it's the one I've put the most time into. Well, that and MVP Baseball 2004. I do own Out of the Park Baseball 14, but that's got way too many stats to track on players. I have also spent serious time in the franchise modes for NBA Live (2003 and 2005), Madden (02, 04, 06, and 08), and NHL (02 and 15).

For me, the appeal is in running a team and satisfactorily having players pan out for development.

Pablo Sanchez or bust, my dude. That kid was the '04 Madden Michael Vick in all of the Backyard Sports games haha.

Pablo was great, but Pete Wheeler was no slouch, either.

Years
  • For me, the appeal is in running a team and satisfactorily having players pan out for development.
    This is usually my favorite part of the games, too. I think it was NHL 14 where I ended up doing 3 25-season GM modes, and wished they were longer every single time, since I was just starting to get a whole bunch of prospects that were about to hit their primes.

Years
  • This is usually my favorite part of the games, too. I think it was NHL 14 where I ended up doing 3 25-season GM modes, and wished they were longer every single time, since I was just starting to get a whole bunch of prospects that were about to hit their primes.

I do hate it when games limit the times on those modes, but at least some games have the courtesy to let you go 80 seasons. Because of the way I manage, I've never hit these limits, though. I do also hate that sometimes you have to play the games to get early success.

The furthest I've made it into a franchise is 10 years, iirc, on an MLB The Show (can't remember whether it was 06, 07, or 09, though) franchise. But I was actively jotting down an organizational depth chart every offseason noting prospect potential and current player grade and was actively scouring for players with at least a "B" potential grade, trimming every player who didn't have at least a "B" for potential, and then filling in gaps for players lost to free agency or that were trimmed for their lack of potential. I also used the Rule 5 draft to take away "A" grade talent from other teams that wasn't quite major league ready because it could usually at least hit at an MLB level.

Years
  • It's cool to see that at least some of you guys plays sports games. For some reason I didn't think there would be many people who played Pokemon and enjoyed sports like I do.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • It's been years since I picked up a sports game. I use to spend countless hours on the NBA 2K games. I think the last iteration I played was the one that had Ben Wallace on the cover, lol. I kinda just stopped after high school for some reason.

Well, there is Inazuma Eleven, but I don't think that counts. {XD}

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    My only experience with sports games are the Mario spin offs and the Backyard Sports series

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    Same here, Mario sports, wii sports, esports. Actual sports games are boooooring

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Since I was a kid, I have some fondness with sports games, mainly soccer games. I still remember having played the Soccer NES game which looked pretty simple, before later on playing FIFA Soccer and Winning Eleven (also known as Pro Evolution Soccer) in my PSone. As for now I still played the latter, as its 2017 version can run pretty good in my laptop atm, and I enjoyed watching CPU vs CPU matches, especially when I'm making my very own tourneys (like replicating last season's UEFA Champions League, for instance). There's also one occasion when I played as Manchester United in UEFA Champions mode, as a coach. Making some good strategies while seeing my team winning the trophy is sooo satisfying, for sure. Besides of these, one other soccer games that I like to play is Super Shot Soccer, which is really totally-out-there if it comes to pulling some crazy moves not unlike what's seen in Inazuma Eleven.

And along the way, I begin to take some interest in baseball games in these few years, and I begin to keep an eye on some games like Jikkyou Powerful Pro Yakyuu (some of you may know it from MLB Power Pros) and enjoyed seeing the gameplay of it, to the point that I bought one of its PSP games. Besides of that, I also played some bowling in Wii Sports, Family Bowling 3D and in several Java games as well.

Years
  • I've been playing FIFA since 07, it's really weird how I just realised I've been playing that series for 10 years, it's gotta be my second-longest played series behind Pokemon.

Years
    • Seen Aug 11, 2017
    NBA Jam on the Sega Genesis that Nintendont compete with. I also play a bit of UFC Undisputed since MMA is something that i considered a sport i could have gone into but sadly i have too many injuries sustained through countless accidents.

Back