• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you feel about micro transactions in video games?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • Companies have been implementing them more and more in their video games as of late, from Overwatch to Destiny to Call of Duty to Shadow of War being released soon...how do we feel about micro transactions in general? Do some companies implement them correctly? Or are most of them a flop? Give us your thoughts on them, as this seems to be a growing trend in the video game industry right now.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • I go with the whole "you dont have to" policy even in F2P stuff like in League of Legends though in League ive already bougjt my fair share of skins mainly because its my money and my way of extending my love for the game. For F2p im usually fine with it especially since its so cheap in our server/region here in The Philippines. Basically 18usd is already an ultimate skin such as Sprit Guard Udyr, Pulsefire Ezreal, and DJ Sona. Half of that (400 to 500ish php) is for legendary skins, and so on. Also many of the GOOD skins in League make it worth it because of the extra stuff added such as new animations, new and at times skin exclusive gestures and taunts (Pool Party Renekton and Moocow Alistar), etc.

The thing with MIKROtrasnactions and why it works on a game like League is that not only league os F2p but whatever skins you brought for your favorite champs get carried over as the game goes by. I still have many of my skins that i bought from 3-4 seasons (years) ago and as long as the game is there, there isnt any real regret for me. Basically it greatly values what you got. Hell even the skins i bought from Season two are still here and thanks to some visual/graphical updates in the game, some of the butt ugly but really cheap skins that i bought became actually awesome now. I can show it through pictures but ill do that later.

Now when CoD's microtrannies, its a different story. Every year theres a new CoD that comes out and CoD doesnt exactly have a player base that sticks to one game for its entirety except for those who choose to stay even with the majority already leaves for the next game (like Blops3 players staying after IW and MWR came, then they are still staying when WW2 comes out). And of course players like buying skins and other microtranners for aesthetic purposes and showing off. However, If there are no players to play against and/or with when a new COD game comes out because players tend to migrate to them VERY QUICKLY, it feels that the stuff you got were a waste. And thats not me immediately stating that COD is a premium or paid game that everyone has to spend 60usds for. It isnt like any of the F2P games that people can just log in, create account, play a bit, and easily choose to either stay or drop asap.

Bottom line, if the microtrannies are carried over especially in a game thats made to be updated yearly like League, its fine by me since i know my s**t is carried over and theres a chance that thanks to visual updates, some garbage looking skins become better. Theres only one League of Legends per regional sever and depending on your region you do have a playerbase to play with, unless you choose to move to a different region but even then League's region transfer option enables an account to actually carry over the skins and other transactions bought. For Call of Dooty, im pretty much against it simply for the fact that theres always a new cod every single year woth playerbases that migrate faster thana a flock of SeaGULLs on crack.

Hell if CoD wanted some extra cosmetics for their games, they should have just added them as nonpais content that players should just work hard for via challenges, achievements, in game performance, overall ranking etc. hell Even League AND DOTO2 do that and they rarely f**k that one up.

Or if CoD didnt release a game every single year and instead stuck to one GOOD game with extended support and content updatesbefore the next one come out for a good number of time then maybe just maybe id have no issues with a micro-transaction that feels worth the shot, for example an EPIC or even an ULTIMATE skin that also affects your in game HUD or something. LIKE ANYTHING other than some stupid weapon skin that honestly no one cares for, like taking that Darkmatter camo and sticking it up the Cod youtbers bungholes.

Also growing trend right now, i feel that its more of since last year. But we can thank Activision for proving how supply drops profit more than actual copies of the game.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I usually can't stand microtransactions tbh :P If I paid money for a game, that should be enough. It's a greedy move in games that need to be purchased beforehand, but it's perfectly fine in f2p game I GUESS :P

If companies want me to pay more after I purchased their game they should release an actual expansion pack to their game. The Elder Scrolls games and The Witcher 3 have amazing expansions, and I would gladly pay more for this type of additional content. But small transactions like "$3.99 for this cool weapon!" are sad.

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • Microtransactions make absolutely no sense if you're gonna charge me up front any price for the game. They make not much sense when the Only thing you can buy is cosmetic, and doing microtransactions just to get tools you need to WIN is especially scummy and wrong..

Free to play - Go ahead, Microtransactions are OK for new levels and cosmetics.
    Pay $X upfront - No. Microtransactions must be tied to a DLC for the game that added new contents.

BlazingCobaltX

big mood. bye
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Jun 19, 2019
    As said above, microtransactions shouldn't be in a game you already paid upfront for. I count online play into this, and the fact that now all consoles require you to pay for online access is honestly nasty, especially since more and more games don't have any value outside of online play (Overwatch). It's shady business and I don't like that game companies can implement these microtransactions as freely as they want.

That said, freemium games are a different thing. If the games is free, I don't mind it having optional payment options, becuase it is wholly up to someone themselves if they see it worth to put money into a game that wouldn't cost them anything otherwise. As long as the game is not severy limited without payment, it's fine with me.

Alakazam17

[b]Long time no see![/b]
    Years
  • Never bought them, never intend to. I'll just stick with the original game without the add-ons, and if that's not good enough, I won't buy the game in the first place.

It also helps that I don't have a phone.

Guest123_x1

Microtransactions are the big reason why I don't bother with mobile gaming and most so-called "free to start" games. You never know when you end up having to fork over as much as $100 just for an important piece of information or a token to get through the game, even if the fine print says "in-game purchases optional".

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • Micro-transactions are an interesting thing, but one thing about them that is NOT interesting are micro-transactions in a paid game, especially those of the gambling variety. Let me go a little off-topic for a moment.

League of Legends is a free to play game. As is the norm with F2P games, it has two currencies; Influence Points (IP) and Riot Points (RP). IP is the in-game currency that is gained through just playing the game. It allows you to purchase everything that you need, such as Champions, Runes, and Rune Pages. It cannot be spent on any cosmetics in any way, whereas RP can. Not only can RP buy cosmetics, but it can also be used to purchase Champions (to make the grind easier) and Rune Pages (but not Runes themselves; irrelevant anyway as Riot is revamping the system and making it free instead). Through this system, it allows Riot Games to make their money by giving the option for players to skip the grind without making the game P2W (your skill with a champion and Runes, which are purchasable with IP only, are the only things that matter in the end), or to deck out their favourite heroes with cool skins. These said skins are able to be purchased individually, or F2P players may roll one of them in 'Hextech Chests' (loot boxes) they gain by performing exceptionally well with a Champion in a match. Now since I've brought up loot boxes, let's bring out another game.

Overwatch. Whether you love or hate shooters, you have to admit that Overwatch is a pretty cool game. Every hero in this game is unique and brings their own strengths and weaknesses to the table. Work to your strengths to exploit the enemies' weaknesses, and you'll be able to capture those points with little effort. However, this sweet game comes at a price, one that matches other AAA titles on the market. But that's fair, right? After all, the game is very polished, it's constantly updated, and it's certainly not P2W. Money only gets you cosmetics... And that's where the game falls in my eyes. The 'currencies' available in Overwatch are your level (considered currency for the sake of this argument), and Credits. The former is kind of like IP; it shows how much you've played the game, and every level gives you a free Loot Box. The latter can be related to RP; it is the currency that gets you the cool stuff. However, spending money doesn't give you Credits. Instead, it gives you Loot Boxes. These said Loot Boxes are always guaranteed 1 'Rare' cosmetic each, but this could be anything from a nice recolour to a...profile picture? Um, alright, that's cool I guess... If you were looking for a Legendary skin, you better be prepared to open at least ten boxes, as the 'official ' chance of unlocking one is 1 out of 13.5 (what kind of number is that?). Assuming that you were indeed looking for a Legendary skin, you might go ahead and buy that 11 boxes for 10 USD package, as you're (kinda) guaranteed a Legendary, right? This isn't even the worst part; the real kicker is that not only is it very possible to roll duplicates of cosmetic items, but the Credits you get to 'make up' for rolling a duplicate is only 20% of the original value of the item. So let's say that you rolled all duplicates in the 11 boxes you bought; you basically paid $10 to receive $2 worth of Credits. The only way to be guaranteed the cosmetic you actually want is to buy it directly with Credits, which is only obtained from rolling duplicates, which is only obtained from Loot Boxes. This isn't even taking into account everything wrong with their seasonal events, but I think I've made my point. For a full-price AAA game, this GAMBLING aspect to cosmetics is absolutely disgusting. It almost makes Gachas look like a good use of money.

TL;DR - I don't mind MT so long as they're done right. If it's to support the game development team for making a great game, then they in all respect deserve some cash. But if it's used by money-hungry corporations just to make more money, then it really, really detracts from the experience of the game, for me it does at least.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I find them annoying and I dont like them, but I understand why they are there. Developers wont make as much money raising video game prices than they will through micro transactions. $60 is a price gamers expect to pay for every game, and unfortunately for developers and publishers, inflation occurs and their profit margins will decrease every year without some kind of alternative way to make money or increase prices.

Years
  • The only Micro Transactions I find remotely tolerable are purely cosmetic stuff, like skins or camos that only change the visuals of your character or weapon etc. Those don't actually change the gameplay at all and I don't feel like I'm missing out if I don't buy any. Anything else like cool weapons or new characters are just annoying though.

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I think they're ok in f2p games, but if you already paid for a game the no, they should not be there.
    Also, transactions in multiplayer games that boost weapons or give power-ups to players who pay ought to be erased from existance immediately.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    stuff that's purely cosmetic AND can be obtained through normal gameplay is fine by me.
    Stuff that speeds up gameplay is okay in singleplayer. No P2W

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I absolutely hate microtransactions in video games, biggest money waster on the planet.

I just want to play the game dang it.

1MeenGreenie

Factory Head
    Years
  • I have purchased microtransactions before, but I only feel at peace buying them if they feel more like giving a tip to the team behind the game.

I'm fine with microtransactions being used to buy:
    -Cosmetics/items that do not give an unfair advantage
    -"Starter packs" that provide easily-obtainable items, just giving the player a bit of security if they choose
    -Anything less than $3 that permanently unlocks optional content (the amount is so low, it is ridiculous to complain about it)

I'm not ok with:
    -Items that give an unfair advantage (ex. $20 sword that is 4x stronger than the strongest "free" sword)
    -Lottery boxes that hold exclusive content that you are not guaranteed to get (think if Overwatch event loot boxes could only be purchased, not earned)
    -"Pay to get more lives/turns/etc." (do NOT force a player to pay for continuous gameplay)

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • I have purchased microtransactions before, but I only feel at peace buying them if they feel more like giving a tip to the team behind the game.

I'm fine with microtransactions being used to buy:
    -Cosmetics/items that do not give an unfair advantage
    -"Starter packs" that provide easily-obtainable items, just giving the player a bit of security if they choose
    - Anything less than $3 that permanently unlocks optional content (the amount is so low, it is ridiculous to complain about it)

I'm not ok with:
    -Items that give an unfair advantage (ex. $20 sword that is 4x stronger than the strongest "free" sword)
    -Lottery boxes that hold exclusive content that you are not guaranteed to get (think if Overwatch event loot boxes could only be purchased, not earned)
    -"Pay to get more lives/turns/etc." (do NOT force a player to pay for continuous gameplay)
    I'm curious about this...any examples you may be able to think of on the top of your hand that showcases this in current games?

1MeenGreenie

Factory Head
    Years
  • I have only seen this in apps, not actual games on consoles, but if anyone can think of console examples, please share!

Right now I have been playing Disney Magic Kingdoms. During events, you can purchase an optional character (usually a secondary/supporting character from the movie featured in the event) for $1.99, and in doing so you can unlock their questline, their activities, and they can be used to help unlock additional characters. They permanently stay in your game, even after the event ends. Two examples are the Magic Carpet from Aladdin (the current event) and Zazu from The Lion King (the previous event). Plus you get some other little addition, like a premium building or premium currency. I believe Carpet gave me a premium concessions stand selling balloons.

$1.99 is roughly the same cost as a soda or coffee where I live, so the price honestly feels like I'm giving the developers a drink or snack. Plus $1.99 is easily obtainable in Google Rewards (a simple survey app), so you really don't have to pay anything. Players can also use premium currency (earned through daily activities at a steady rate) to purchase the characters, so there is more than one way to get them.

Back