• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: CoroCoro reveals Alolan Grimer, new evolutions and more!

blue

gucci
Years
EDIT: Check the Daily article here!

The first scan from CoroCoro has revealed Alolan Grimer. Not much is known other than it is Poison/Dark-type.

Spoiler:

Type: Null's evolution is called Shiruvadi. It is a Normal-type Pokemon, but it can hold an item that allows it to change to any of the 18 types due to a new ability called AR System.
Spoiler:

Jangmo-o evolves into Jarango, then into Jararanga. Both of these evolutions are Dragon/Fighting-type as rumoured.
Spoiler:

The latest scans also confirm that Ilima (the pink haired character to the left of Hau) is the first Trial Captain and that the first town is known in Japan as Hauori City.
Spoiler:

Last edited:
Reactions: Z25
Years
That yellow around the mouth looks weird.

Anyways, I was expecting Grimer to get an Alola Form after researching a lot into which Kanto Pokemon can still be prime candidates (aka lines that lack a Mega or non-1st Gen introduced final stage) but it was definitely not the typing I expected. At least the awesome thing with Poison/Dark is that it is one of those type combinations that only has one weakness, in this case Ground.

Might not end up using this Grimer on my team, but it's still interesting.

Lunos

Random Uruguayan User
Years
^ If Vulpix/Ninetales got an Alolan Form, I'm still waiting for muh Mega/Alolan Arcanine, dang it.
So.. the design is ugly but the types it got are certainly interesting and unexpected.

Years
  • Age 41
  • Seen Apr 23, 2017
So this also means an Alolan Muk with evil honey mouth beard....

And Alolan persian has yet to be seen, too.

Type:Null's evolution is interesting to think about.. is it of the type it is when it holds a certain item? It is almost like Arceus, but with a science background instead of religious theme (God pokemon)

I hope they also reveal about the supposed version starter evolutions...

The little dragon's evolution being Dragon/Fighting type scares me though. Not a type I wanted

Years
Grimer was one of the few that wasn't crossed out with that image of Kanto mons supposed to be getting Alolan forms iirc.

That would explain it!

At this point, I'm 50/50 on whether it's safe to assume the other Pokemon that haven't be circled are also getting Alola forms.

I believe the Pokemon that aren't circled will get Alola Forms, and while not all of them will get the Alola Form it's likely most of them will get it. So if another Alola Form gets revealed, we will always have that one list to refer to.

I hope they also reveal about the supposed version starter evolutions...

The little dragon's evolution being Dragon/Fighting type scares me though. Not a type I wanted

Starter final evolutions are usually never revealed officially until after the games are already released, so we won't know for sure if the version exclusive rumour is real until around release day.

Also, while Dragon/Fighting is a very interesting type combination, it is unfortunately going to fall easily against Fairy-types, and it doesn't help that Dragon and Fighting-types don't get many options to counter the type. I guess it could learn Iron Head or something like that? Fun fact that Dragon/Fighting is the only 4x Fairy weak combination that we haven't had yet.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
Alolan Grimer looks like he's been snacking too much on Honey and Marshmallows, maybe he's got a serious sweet tooth. Pretty decent type combination, and I don't think it's really ugly, its design is about as attractive looking as the original grimer, I mean come on, it's an animated pile of sludge, how pretty do you really expect this guy to be?

I'm definitely interested to see what the plans are with Type: Null, even if it's not a copy paste of Arceus, it just seems so artificial of a pokemon that it probably has some kind of intereaction with man-made items in some form or another.

I actually had a sneaking suspicion that they were going to make Jangmo-O a Dragon/Fight type. It not only gave that sort of "tough-guy" look that most beginner fight types have (it's reveal really made me think of a Dragon mixed with Tyrogue), but I was also thinking that it was one of the few Dragon type combinations that they haven't really tested out yet.

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I honestly didn't expect Type: Null to get an evolution, so I'm interested to see that (if it's true). I didn't expect an artificially made Pokémon to have an evolution; I wonder how the lore around that will work.

Not a massive fan of Alola Grimer's design tbh. Sure regular Grimer has a really plain design but eh minimalism works sometimes. I'm sure Alola Grimer's design will grow on me though.

And I was hoping for a Steel/Dragon Jangmo-o evolution, but Dragon/Fighting is pretty cool too!

kingdenas

#Team Popplio <3
Years
Alola Grimer looks funny (he has teeth now whut?). I didn't expect it to be Poison/Dark :/ I thought they would change the poison-typing to another typing rather than just adding a second typing. But oh well, I'm fine with it. Wasn't going to use it anyway!

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
Grimer becoming Poison/Dark is kinda odd. I guess there are Psychic type pokemon that have been picking on him, so he adapted and got a dark typeing added instead? That seems like the logical thing to me. It looks like they mainly just changed Grimer's base coloring to a greenish/black color and added random yellow around its mouth. Maybe the yellow will change to a different shape or cover more on Alolan Muk.

I wasn't expecting Type: Null to evolve at all. I thought it get a counter part called Type: Void or Valid to match the Null part. But at least the name is no longer random and odd looking.

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen today
if Alolan forms are basically Pokemon adapting to the environment of Alola

what kind of adaptations would a pile of shit like Grimer need to make?

Years
if Alolan forms are basically Pokemon adapting to the environment of Alola

what kind of adaptations would a pile of shit like Grimer need to make?

I was exactly questioning that as well. I heard Meowth and Rattata line's Alola Forms had something to do with adapting to urban environments (remember both are Dark-types as well) so maybe that could be the case with Grimer as well.

Bobbylicious

Banned
Years
I like it. It's simple, it's not stupid, it's not fan service, it's just a Pokemon which I'm a fan of.

Also very happy they didn't go the route of making it lava like everyone was hoping.

Last edited:
Years
Alola Grimer looks funny (he has teeth now whut?). I didn't expect it to be Poison/Dark :/ I thought they would change the poison-typing to another typing rather than just adding a second typing. But oh well, I'm fine with it. Wasn't going to use it anyway!

Like swallowing everything with it's body wasn't enough, now it can chew it's victims. LOL!

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
Years
I was exactly questioning that as well. I heard Meowth and Rattata line's Alola Forms had something to do with adapting to urban environments (remember both are Dark-types as well) so maybe that could be the case with Grimer as well.
That applies only to Raticate. Meowth was breed by the royal family. Besides, both Meowth and Grimer were classified as 'Urban' in the FrLg habitat function of the Dex irc.

Back