• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Hating on Mainstream is so Mainstream."

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Nov 5, 2017
Do you agree with this statement?

What is your opinion of mainstream trends (fashion, music, movies, etc.)?

Do you personally know more people who follow the mainstream, or more people who dislike it?

Years
THIS - simply because the actual image url has swearing in it which gets blocked out by the censor, so the image can't be posted. Still, well worth a look though XD

I don't know many people who dislike anything cos it's mainstream (or anybody like that actually), but I do know a tonne of people who dislike most of what is considered mainstream right now. The same goes for me. I don't like autotuned rappers and overproduced stuff that's on the radio now, but that doesn't mean I hate everything that's mainstream. If one of my favourite bands went into the Top 30 I wouldn't stop listening to them. Lisa Mitchell is one of my favourite artists and she could be considered mainstream (she's played on mainstream radio stations all the time), it doesn't mean I don't like her. Meanwhile, I do know a lot of people who only listen to music if it's on the radio or if everybody else likes it too (or in other words what is mainstream).

So yeah, I know many people who only listen to what's popular, and I also know people who listen to albums and hate songs not because they're mainstream but because mainstream songs are generally not that good (in their opinion and my own, anyway).

Headfirst For Halos

[insert ellipses here]
Years
I agree with this statement, a lot. Mainstream or not, if something is good to you, then it's good. I personally know more people who dislike mainstream stuff, and it gets annoying after a while.

Years
  • Age 31
  • AU
  • Seen Feb 18, 2023
This was my English assignment!

Yeah, a lot of people hate Twilight, Justin Beiber, those Disney teen singers, Glee etc etc because it's mainstream, which causes hating something to be mainstream. It's kind of ridiculous but I can say that I have been guilty of this, as well as a victim.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
I agree with this statement because some people are known to hate on mainstream things because they find those mainstream things annoying to them. I'm one of those people who hates on mainstream things like Twilight, Justin Bieber and Glee.

otaku-dono

Merkabah
Years
Not necessarily. There are always two balanced sides to this coin, it's just that the positive attitude has more social presence. I'm sure for every person who loves Justin Beiber you'll find one person who hates him and vice versa, but the people who like him are more omnipresent in general society (irl mainly). I don't have a problem with people liking mainstream things, but generally speaking I don't like mainstream stuff purely because it's not to my tastes; pop/rap/hip hop music and the popular fashion of the week just do not fit my bill.

Then you have the people who find it appropriate to go out of their way to make those who don't fit what's mainstream seem as odd, when it's perfectly reasonable. You don't see anti-Twilight people raging hard at Twilight fans, but turn the tables and the Twilight fan is a fountain of electric fire.

Generally speaking, people make no sense.

tkallab

Should have been in Dissidia
Years
There are people who like anything popular, simply because it's popular. Then, you have people who don't like something because it's popular. Then, you have people who look past those things and have honest and thought-out opinions on stuff.

I think hating on mainstream because it's mainstream is a bad thing. But for me, I don't like a lot of popular music because it's not my style. I like four- or five-man emo punk rock groups with just some guitars, a bass, drums and maybe a keyboard. And not too dark, but not childish either. But that's not what popular these days, except maybe All Time Low. I don't like many popular things because it's just the wrong genre for me. And I kinda hate how no one uses real instruments anymore, just computer-generated sounds.

I just think it makes no sense people like or hate something just because others do. Try to get your own opinion.

dithyrambos

PHANTOM girl
Years
  • Age 15
  • Seen Apr 8, 2012
This was my English assignment!

Yeah, a lot of people hate Twilight, Justin Beiber, those Disney teen singers, Glee etc etc because it's mainstream, which causes hating something to be mainstream. It's kind of ridiculous but I can say that I have been guilty of this, as well as a victim.
Okay... I'll admit... sometimes I'll hate on things "just because it's mainstream." Take Twilight, for example: despite never reading the books/seeing the films, I despise them. Mainly because before Twilight waltzed into our lives I'd use my allergy to garlic and insomnia as an excuse to ( jokingly ) call myself a vampire. I then took a liking to many occult-type things: magic, mythology, astrology, ect. Then Twilight comes along ( many, many years after my likes and dislikes have set in, I should add ) and these things become fodder for authors to write cheap romance and shallow fantasy novels. Seriously, Google "next big thing after Twilight" or something similar and you'll see.

But, like I've said earlier, I've never even touched any Twilight material, so how can I hate something I've never read/seen? If Twilight weren't so popular, I'd probably just think it was dumb, but because it's popular I loathe it. There's just so much more and better vampire material out there. Twilight seems more like a gimmick than a serious novel.... but, I digress.

I don't hate ALL things mainstream. I like Disney singers ( Miley Cyrus, Selena Gomez, Keke Palmer, and I'm open to listening to others ), Harry Potter, I'm not a fan of rap, but I LOVES me some electronic music ( sans Lady GaGa.... I do dislike her because she's mainstream. I mean, she pales in comparison to so many other electronic acts.... she's not even a real electronic artist, really. More of a Dance-Pop artist, a genre that, IMO, has always been one of the weaker electronic genres because of it's heavy pop influences ).

ETA: Maybe I've got the wrong idea of "hating things because it's mainstream"? LOL IDK. Something being mainstream is NEVER my first reason for hating it. But if I hate that something for a legitimate reason, and it just so happens to be popular? Then I'll hate it even more.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
ETA: Maybe I've got the wrong idea of "hating things because it's mainstream"? LOL IDK. Something being mainstream is NEVER my first reason for hating it. But if I hate that something for a legitimate reason, and it just so happens to be popular? Then I'll hate it even more.
Same here. If something's mainstream, I would not like it because I don't think it's great. There are some popular stuff I like, and some no. Depends if I think whatever mainstream is good or not.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
Years
Same here. If something's mainstream, I would not like it because I don't think it's great. There are some popular stuff I like, and some no. Depends if I think whatever mainstream is good or not.
But didn't you know? People don't like mainstream because it's mainstream because they don't have taste to define what they like!

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
Years
See, things like Twlight and Bieber, I hate because I hate. I could give you any number of reasons - Twilight is poorly written, it's self-insert author fantasy fulfilment, what's-her-face can't act for peanuts, and so on. Bieber's lyrics are repetitive and shallow, the melodies are processed and unoriginal, the rhythm is flat, et cetera et cetera. I don't hate them because they're mainstream.

In fact, I like plenty of mainstream things. I'm a Glee fan, for one. I don't like or dislike things because they're mainstream. I dislike much of the mainstream because of the things it contains themselves. For example, the aforementioned Twilight and Justin Bieber, as well as the rash of crappy vampire romance fiction and singing teenage boys that were born simply as an opportunistic method to buy into society's current desires. That is the very definition of mainstream.

In fact, I give Stephenie Meyer more credit than the authors of this plethora of vampire romance novels we're seeing in the Young Adult section these days. While what she wrote was undoubtedly crap - from my point of view, at least - she was writing it because she wanted to write it. These other authors are just jumping on the bandwagon. That, if anything, is the reason I dislike the mainstream. It's not people writing, singing, drawing what they want to write, sing or draw. It's people writing, singing and drawing what we want them to write, sing or draw; or worse still, what they want us to want them to write, sing and draw.

Indie music, for example, is an almost bizarrely rich and diverse genre, simply because, for the most part, the producers of said music are making the music that they want to make. On the whole, it is simply more real than most so-called 'mainstream' music. That, for me, is the definition of mainstream. Not where you sit on the charts, but how you got there and what it means to you.

The majority of mass-produced media in the world today is designed to appeal to the lowest common denominator - that is, it aims to please everybody by lowering its standards. This, however, often sacrifices quality in the eyes of the discerning fan. Much mainstream music, for example, is formulaic, repetitive hip-hop, indistinguishable from any other song by seventy per cent of the well-known artists in the world today.

Well-known, however, does not necessarily equate to being crap. I look at this with an open mind - I enjoy several 'mainstream' bands such as Linkin Park, Paramore and Hoobastank as well as lesser-known groups like supercell and The Wombats.

I like bands, films and novels because they're good, not because the media tells me they're good. If the media tells me something is good, and I decide that it is, then that's fine. If I hear about it some other way, and it turns out I like it, then that's fine too. I generally try not to distinguish between mainstream and non-mainstream. It just brings up drama that I'd rather not be brought.

Melody

Banned
Years
Much like quite a few people in this thread, I hate many mainstream things for quite logical reasons.

Take for example Twilight. The books were crap, and the fans were even crappier. I don't doubt that the author of those books only monetized the series because a bunch of tween girls latched onto it, and anything that tween girls latch on to, is a huge cash cow. She is like the rest of us adults, she's gotta pay the bills too. It's just sad that she hit the popularity lottery with a piece of crap.

Beiber and Cyrus are Disney poster-children. I've never quite felt that anything they've performed was all that great, and while I'm proud that they made the most of their childhood stardom, I just don't give a damn. Maybe when Cyrus grows up and goes into more mature performances and such will I care. I'm not saying she should go the way that Spears did, just saying that she needs to up the ante, and she damn well knows it...It's pathetic that the media is all like "BAWWW SHE'S 18 OMG DONT FOLLOW SPEARS!" XD
If she goes that way, then so be it. I highly doubt she's that dumb though.
As for Beiber, he gets an 'A' for effort. He tries to perform well, but he just isn't mature enough to be appealing to anyone except tween girls. XD
Even I don't like him...never will like him because he's so oversold. Disney has a tendency to set their stars up for failure by running them thoroughly into the ground. Bieber didn't even see it coming. XD

Shows like Naruto, FMA and the few series that do make it over here to the US are crap. Look at how many episodes it takes to bring even just ONE SEASON or ONE ARC to a close! It's really pathetic. Not to mention that the companies that dub these imported anime tend to cut out the best stuff. They kid it down...which I hate. Why sell it to kids over here if the society here clearly defines it as mature content? Just send it over unedited and let us handle what age group we think it's appropriate for! :<

I'm a huge anime fan, but I hate anime that goes on forever.

Of course my problem with anything else that is mainstream is the fanbase. If I can't approach a fellow ___ fan of my age group, and have a good intelligent conversation with them about the good, bad AND UGLY points of whatever it is...then the fanbase is deemed immature and therefore it automatically sucks. No Exceptions. And I watch fansites before I dive into something wildly mainstream to see how they react to that kind of conversation.

Years
Hey man, I hate I hate. Nothing else involved. If I hate Twilight, who's to tell me that it's sooo normal/mainstream to hate it?

I'd tell them to butt off.

Never let anyone sway your first impressions is what I say.

MurasakiYugata

Friend of Caterpie
Years
  • Age 42
  • Seen Dec 5, 2010
Personally I think it's kinda silly to base your opinions on what's popular and unpopular - regardless of whether you're going pro-culture or counter-culture. My tastes are based on my own personal preferences. If that means I like something mainstream, fine. If that means I like something that's unpopular, that's fine too.

Massacre.

sky's on fire again
Years
Honestly I enjoy oldies and mainstream, and it's so-so with people I know. Although when people are like "This band was better in 2002, now it's all mainstream crap" really annoys me. Same goes for other mainstream stuff. If it's after 1995, then it's mainstream, although. But who cares?

Back