• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A Charitable Cause

Flushed

never eat raspberries
Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Hopefully this doesn't dredge up any bad feelings or memories or anything of that sort. But say you find yourself with a considerable sum of money (or you're just a charitable person regardless, whatever the situation may be). What charity(s) would you support with a donation?

Nathan

Blade of Justice
    Years
  • I'd rather much keep my money and offer free meals/a place to live to homeless people I encounter than donate to a charity group. At least, I'd know my money served the initial purpose of helping since sometimes, the people in the charity groups take most of the money and leave an insignificant amount for those who really need it.

Puddle

Mission Complete✔
    Years
  • I'd probably spend it on things that I know are legit like Red Cross and the Humane Society. Sometimes the ones that you see being advertised by weird black women on the side of the street aren't necessarily 100% legit. I'd rather my money go into a large corporation then have the possibility of having some scam artist take my money.

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • I would give the money to organizations that support autism awareness. No, not the ones that want to CURE autism, but the ones that are all about showing people that autism isn't a bad thing.

Oh, and depending on how much I was given... I'd also like to support Breast cancer. The reason is because my godmother died of this. She was like a third grandmother to me, and by the time they discovered it, it was too late. She got really sick and passed away. :(

Last edited:

Crux

Evermore
    Years
  • River, I'm unsure what your standing on Euthanasia is, but the Humane Society has had a number of issues with mass numbers of animals being put down.

As for myself, I'm rather leery of any big name charities anymore. Particularly after finding out how much money is wasted on lawsuits by Susan G. Komen yearly.

Personally, I'd use it to benefit the needy in a productive way.
    Pick them up, brush them off, and teach them ways to keep standing.

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    You all bring up a good point. I didn't think of the "legitimacy" (for lack of a better word) of certain charities at this day and age. I guess inadvertently the thread title is more accurate of the question I'm trying to ask.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • I hear St. Jude Children's Research Hospital is actually a pretty trusting and reliable charity since they actually use most of their donations to help research in diseases and to help support the hospital. So I'd mostly likely donate to them since I trust my money will be actually used for something good. I'd also probably donate to PC and bump myself up to tier 3 or 4.

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • I'd donate some to PC so we could buy new servers (even though PC isn't a charity), and probably donate some money to an animal charity helping abused/injured animals as well as some to kids who've developed malicious diseases such as cancer. I wouldn't donate any to the Royal Children's Hospital in Melbourne mainly because Australia donates so much money every year to the hospital. I also wouldn't mind funding certain aspects of research such as developments in medicinal science etc.

Kikaito plush

Angeline plushxKikaito plush
    Years
  • I would donate to Capability Scotland which helps children and adults with special needs (severe or not both get help) with school, employment and care services although Scotland.

Years
  • Of course I would help support PC in any way I could if I had a good amount of money. But I would also support my local humane society and any food banks as well.

Controversial?

Bored musician, bad programmer
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Oct 11, 2020
    My family runs their own charity, so I'd put the money towards that. It's actually genuine and more reliable than those big corporate fatcats running so-called "charities" that are actually scams.

LoudSilence

more like uncommon sense
    Years
    • US
    • Seen Aug 7, 2016
    I'd donate to people directly. It's difficult to trust your money in the hands of a charity, especially those larger organisations who you're pretty sure skim off a bit more than they ought to.

Remember that Kony 2012 fiasco with Invisible Children? I'm glad they were scrutinised, but think of the charities that don't.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    Well my school is doing a drive for "Pasta for Pennies" right now. I would probbaly donate a considerable sum to that cause because I don't need much money.

Back