• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Perri Lightfoot

Let's give it a go!
Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2022
    I've never posted here in the Lounge before - forgive me for my sudden intrusion, but I just felt like joining the party :) I'll answer some current questions first, and then pose and answer one of my own:

Do you plan to become an author in real life?
    The way I see it, I already am an author in real life! I write stories, don't I? :) Just because those stories are unpublishable fanfiction doesn't make them any less worthwhile. I have no plans to become a published author, even though I've been told a few times I could have the talent for it. My heart's just not in it. Fanfiction, and Pokémon fanfiction in particular, is where my soul and my passion lie. I have very little desire to write stories set outside the Pokémon universe; and even then, these few other ideas of mine are still based in one fandom or another. Being published would not suddenly make me a "better" writer than I already am; and besides, if being traditionally published meant that I had to give up my involvement in fandom and delete all traces that I was ever even there (as I have heard published authors who started out in fanfic, such as Naomi Novik and the infamous Cassandra Claire, have had to do), than it is so not worth it. XD I don't feel like I need a publishing contract to validate myself to the world as a writer; or that my fanfiction is nothing more than "practice" before I go and write something "original" - I already am the author I want to be, published or not, and no one can ever tell me otherwise.

Aside from Twilight or any related works, have you ever seen a Mary Sue in a published story? Was there anything notable about them?
    The above mentioned Cassandra Claire has a rather epic Sue in the form of Clary (author insertion much?) in her Mortal Instruments series; but the most insufferably obnoxious Sues I've ever encountered can be found lurking within the pages of 19th century children's literature. I remember reading one such story once - damned if I can remember the author or title - about a little girl who was both beautiful in looks and in soul; perfect blond curls, bright blue eyes, always listened to her parents, was kind and giving and the whole nine yards. Her brother was a human character - an average boy who, like average boys, sometimes got into mischief and didn't always do what was right. If memory serves, one day the little boy decided to be rough to his sister while she was on a swing; she fell off and somehow that killed her. Of course, that lead to some pretty epic bathos where everyone mourned the loss of such a perfect beautiful girl and how her brother would have to live with the guilt of offing the most epically perfect Sue in the history of all Suedom for the rest of his life. Yeeeeeesh!

Author H.H. Munro wrote a wonderful parody of one of these insufferably perfect Mary Sues, whose very perfection leads her to an ironic and deserved end ;)

And here's a question of my own: Do you prefer writing more dialogue and less description, less dialogue and more description, or do you try to evenly balance it? For me, I've found that my works tend to be heavy on mood, scene-setting, and the internal thoughts of the main characters, and somewhat light on people actually speaking to each other. In the case of my fic Paws for Alarm, this is partly due to necessity born from the plot - none of the main characters are capable of even saying anything other than "pikachu" or "pichu;" so the only time true spoken dialogue appears is when humans are around. But even in other works of mine I've found myself focusing a lot on the concept of Man Vs. Self; where the action tends to be contained mostly within the main character's mind and less so among other people. Dialogue and interactions between characters are present, of course, but for some reason I find myself putting less focus on them than I do on describing the surroundings and the internal struggles of the main characters. ^^'

Last edited:

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years
  • Crossing the Line is coming real soon, as soon as I get a beta reader LOL! Hope it doesn't become a train wreck again. Looking forward for things.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I've never posted here in the Lounge before - forgive me for my sudden intrusion, but I just felt like joining the party :) I'll answer some current questions first, and then pose and answer one of my own:
    Ohai! We're friendly and we don't bite...much. Anyway, welcome to the Lounge. :D
    Do you plan to become an author in real life?
    The way I see it, I already am an author in real life! I write stories, don't I? :) Fanfiction, and Pokémon fanfiction in particular, is where my heart, my soul, and my passion lie. I have very little desire to write stories set outside the Pokémon universe; and even then, these few other ideas of mine are still based in one fandom or another. Being published would not suddenly make me a "better" writer than I already am; and besides, if being traditionally published meant that I had to give up my involvement in fandom and delete all traces that I was ever even there (as I have heard published authors who started out in fanfic, such as Naomi Novik and the infamous Cassandra Claire, have had to do), than it is so not worth it. XD I don't feel like I need a publishing contract to validate myself to the world as a writer; or that my fanfiction is nothing more than "practice" before I go and write something "original" - I already am the author I want to be, published or not, and no one can ever tell me otherwise.
    Even though I'm impressed with you're point of view, I believe that the question referred to whether or not you wanted to be a published author or not. Also, CLAMP was a Dōjinshi circle(which was basically fan-art) and now they create original works. I don't see the problem with shifting to real fiction. Also, I'm not sure of copyright law, but I don't really think you have to delete your traces. Instead, you might encourage a couple of young writers to start out in writing from fanfiction. :D

Also, you need publishing to get money btw. Besides the fact that it's fun, that's the other reason I write and it is what I've done around the net.

Do you prefer writing more dialogue and less description, less dialogue and more description, or do you try to evenly balance it?
    I just go with what fits the scene as in I try to balance it out. But if I had to choose, I'd say description.

Iqid Loopz said:
    Crossing the Line is coming real soon, as soon as I get a beta reader LOL! Hope it doesn't become a train wreck again. Looking forward for things.
    Hopefully, I'll find time to review. :D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I think I've seen you around Serebii, Pink Parka Girl. Welcome to the Fanfiction Lounge! Try not to be scared off by our day-to-day absurdity. :3 Anyhow, I understand where you're coming from with the published question, but what I don't see is why you would need to delete all traces of your life on the Internet fanfic circuit once you get a book out? :/ As long as nobody ever gets my real name on here (which, even if I did like it enough to share, will never happen) there's not much that can go wrong... |D

Do you prefer writing more dialogue and less description, less dialogue and more description, or do you try to evenly balance it?

I try for a balance, but I always end up writing more dialogue (and witty Giratinalicious narration) anyway.

Crossing the Line is coming real soon, as soon as I get a beta reader LOL! Hope it doesn't become a train wreck again. Looking forward for things.

Just like before, I'm sure the Beta Place would be happy to have you. :3

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • PPG! YOU'VE JOINED HERE YAY =D About time. =P

I try for a balance, but I always end up writing more dialogue (and witty Giratinalicious narration) anyway.
    Same for me, although maybe a bit less trying for a balance at times. And certainly less Giratinalicious narration from me as well. ;P Yeah, I'm lazy, but HGSS/uni kinda bites time-wise and makes one tired. >_<

And yes, the Beta Thread is there...although certainly some more beta readers would be nice (COUGH ;P), half of us are too busy I fear to take on even more people as is. But maybe that'd change soon?

Bah, I actually should write stuff myself... I am too good at this procastinating/being busy business for my own good. >_<

Buoysel

Trust me, I'm a Professional*
    Years
  • Do you prefer writing more dialogue and less description, less dialogue and more description, or do you try to evenly balance it?

Writing Dialogue is easy for me, its writing description that is hard.

On another note, Welcome to the FFL (or FfLL according to An-Chan)

We are a wee bit loony around the edges but thats what makes this place fun.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Do you prefer writing more dialogue and less description, less dialogue and more description, or do you try to evenly balance it?

Depends on what I'm writing, actually.

If I'm working on anything usually, I try to balance it.

If I'm working on that Hercule Poirot fanfiction, I tend to put more dialogue to keep in the style of Agatha Christie's works.

Bay

Years
  • PINK PARKA GIRL! :3 *glomps*

Depends what kind of story I'm doing, really. For comedy, it's more dialogue to get some witty dialogue going and Lugia's puns. :P When I did NE there were more dialogue too because the characters would be talking a lot, whether it be police reports or a short history lesson. For Heart of the Sea however it's more description because the story goes more in the character's minds and also the scenery is very important towards the story too.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    PPG! Welcome to the FFL.

If only Bay had kept on top of our orgy list.

I'm terrible when it comes to writing description. But dialogue is smooth and simple for me, so I write more dialogue than description. Though I do try to balance it out.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    I try to balance it out, and to be honest, in my fic, I can't recall whether I have more description or more dialogue. So I guess that means I have about equal amounts of both. Or it could mean that memory loss is rearing its ugly head again.

Iqid Loopz

This sentence is a lie.
    Years

I always try to put more description in my fic but it becomes more difficult to describe, and better if i do dialogue then description, but I throw osme description in.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Whew, haven't been around here in a few days. I blame life and Soulsilver.

PPG, I think I've seen you somewhere before, but I don't know where. Anyway, welcome.

Dialogue makes me a sad panda, but I find myself writing more of it these days. And I wonder why I don't write as much as I used to...

But yes. Description >>>>> dialogue.

Buoysel

Years
  • I may be beating a dead horse here but I simply could not resist. Consider it a plot bunny in the form or art, its just a sketch for now I'll work on it some more.

Spoiler:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I may be beating a dead horse here but I simply could not resist. Consider it a plot bunny in the form or art, its just a sketch for now I'll work on it some more.

Spoiler:
    Heh, check out the title text on the FFL link in my sig. XD
    I've had it for a while now. :D

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    I may be beating a dead horse here but I simply could not resist. Consider it a plot bunny in the form or art, its just a sketch for now I'll work on it some more.

Spoiler:

It's never too late for a Flamethrowing Sentret.

Buoysel

Years
  • I was looking at the picture and how crappy the flame thrower part looks, so I was thinking about having Sentret hold a can of hair spray and a lighter, but it probably lacks opposable thumbs so it could use the tail of a knocked out Charmeleon as the ignition source and instead of hair spray the can could say "sticky thread spray." lol

ChrisTom

With all regards,
    Years
  • Hey, I hope I'm not annoying anybody here, but I need an editor for a story I'm working on called "Empty" (working title. I have another title in mind, but I'd like to run it by an Editor.)

Does anybody here wish to help. So far I've got a Prologue and a first chapter figured out, but I want some help and advice for making the plot nicer and to fill in the plot holes. If anybody wants to help please let me know, and I will give you credit in the story. I hope somebody is willing to assist me in this task. If you wish to see my previous works look here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=208799

and here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=205797

Thank you, and with all regards,

-ChrisTom

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Hey, I hope I'm not annoying anybody here, but I need an editor for a story I'm working on called "Empty" (working title. I have another title in mind, but I'd like to run it by an Editor.)

Does anybody here wish to help. So far I've got a Prologue and a first chapter figured out, but I want some help and advice for making the plot nicer and to fill in the plot holes. If anybody wants to help please let me know, and I will give you credit in the story. I hope somebody is willing to assist me in this task. If you wish to see my previous works look here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=208799

and here: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=205797

Thank you, and with all regards,

-ChrisTom
    You do realise we have a beta thread right?

Anyway, I'll be happy to be your beta if you're willing. If you're willing. I haven't applied for the beta thread yet because I haven't done enough reviews, but hopefully I will sometime in the future.

Just beware that I can usually only beta on weekends.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen today
    I was looking at the picture and how crappy the flame thrower part looks, so I was thinking about having Sentret hold a can of hair spray and a lighter, but it probably lacks opposable thumbs so it could use the tail of a knocked out Charmeleon as the ignition source and instead of hair spray the can could say "sticky thread spray." lol
    That reminds me of the scene I just wrote where my OT used her Caterpie as a kind of gun, firing String Shot at a flock of Zubat.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013
    Astinus, that sounds like the best use of a Caterpie ever. (And I'll need to get to work on Flamethrowing Sentret fanart soon!)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back