• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Famitsu rules out certain Alolan Forms

Years
  • Growlithe and Arcanine were if I remember, mentioned to have a Water-type form on one of the Big Four leaks and I know that same leak mentioned Ninetales and Rattata/Raticate, except they did get the former's type slightly wrong. Guess this means that leak doesn't look like it'll be entirely real then.

Zubat line I called not having an Alola Form thanks to a Japanese trailer where Team Skull were using them. I guess Lapras having a purpose as a Poke Ride Pokemon showed its overworld sprite didn't have an Alola Form as well.

So rule of thumb from now on, if we see a Kanto Pokemon in any trailers that aren't in Alola Form, that means that it won't get one at all.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    It's too bad that Arcanine wont get a cool Alola form, but I am so reluctant that there will not be an Alola Dragonite! One kind of Dragonite is all I can really handle... lol

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • Well, if the Poke-Ride mons aren't getting forms, we know Charizard (and therefore can assume Venu and Blasty) will not be getting a new form either, which I suppose is reasonable. Gengar was also shown in its normal form in a trailer, so kill that line too.

Otherwise, RIP Alola Crobat I guess? ALTHOUGH Crobat isn't a Gen 1 Pokemon... This leads me to rule out Onix, Tangela, and Scyther as well, but who knows?

Fearow was really in need of an Alolan form tho...

Ewery1

Local Red Panda
    Years
  • I don't think it's unreasonable to think that some Pokemon may have Alolan and regular forms both found in Alola. Alolan forms work like evolution, and you can have a divergent evolution where both descendants exist in the same area, especially if that area has varied environments. While I may not personally think that these Pokemon will be getting Alolan forms (I never believed that leak), I hardly think that this rules them out for sure.

Beck!

Loser
    Years
    • DC
    • Seen Oct 23, 2021
    Unless I missed it, Golduck isn't on this list (while Psyduck is).

Which means there's hope.

Years
  • Well, if the Poke-Ride mons aren't getting forms, we know Charizard (and therefore can assume Venu and Blasty) will not be getting a new form either, which I suppose is reasonable. Gengar was also shown in its normal form in a trailer, so kill that line too.

Otherwise, RIP Alola Crobat I guess? ALTHOUGH Crobat isn't a Gen 1 Pokemon... This leads me to rule out Onix, Tangela, and Scyther as well, but who knows?

I will make an Alola Forms checklist of all the 1st Gen Pokemon, so be on the look for that when I do share it.

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Well, if the Poke-Ride mons aren't getting forms, we know Charizard (and therefore can assume Venu and Blasty) will not be getting a new form either, which I suppose is reasonable. Gengar was also shown in its normal form in a trailer, so kill that line too.

Don't forget Chansey with Blissey.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Spoiler:

I'm a bit sadden that our favorite canine didn't get a Mega in Gen IV or an Alolan variant in SM.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    More worrisome is that this suggests non-gen 1 Pokemon (other than Pichu?) will not receive Alolan forms at all because there's been no mention of them.

Hau has regular Pichu so it's deconfirmed.

We just have to hope that they're showing only gen 1 Pokémon during the pre-release period for marketing purposes and that there will be other Pokémon that receive Alola forms in the full game.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
    Years
    • Seen Nov 7, 2020
    So wait, something I just remembered didn't they show a regular Meowth being owned by the protagonists mother? If a normal meowth and the alolan meowth have been shown, both must exist in the game in some way or another.
    If so, I feel like that on it's own contradicts the "If it's been shown as normal in revealed game footage, than it must not get an Alola form."
    I think it's totally possible that some of the revealed pokemon in the footage could still get Alola forms.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • Hau has regular Pichu so it's deconfirmed.

We just have to hope that they're showing only gen 1 Pokémon during the pre-release period for marketing purposes and that there will be other Pokémon that receive Alola forms in the full game.

How does that deconfirm it? We don't know how Alolan forms work as far as game mechanics go. We don't know whether they are counting as separate species when it comes to breeding mechanics, whether a Pokemon can switch in or out of it like a Therian form, or whether it's exclusive to certain evolutionary stages etc. etc. For right now, I'm operating under the assumption that there will be an Alolan Pichu/Pikachu if there is one for Raichu, and they haven't been revealed yet.

I disagree with the idea that just because a regular form shows up, it means that it doesn't have an Alolan form; after all, regular Meowth is seen in the overworld in one of the trailers. Actually, Meowth is an excellent example, we haven't seen Alolan Persian yet but it seems pretty ridiculous that the whole evolutionary line won't get the form. I feel the same way about Pichu, with the examples we've been given so far it seems pretty preposterous to assume that the whole line won't get Alolan forms.

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • Wait, when did we see regular Pokemon getting turned into their Alolan forms? My point is that we have absolutely no idea how they work from a game mechanics standpoint, and I don't really see any reason to rule out Alolan Pichu/Pikachu/Persian.

raxic_ex

I'm Buizel of the Expedition Society!
    Years
  • So wait, something I just remembered didn't they show a regular Meowth being owned by the protagonists mother? If a normal meowth and the alolan meowth have been shown, both must exist in the game in some way or another.
    If so, I feel like that on it's own contradicts the "If it's been shown as normal in revealed game footage, than it must not get an Alola form."
    I think it's totally possible that some of the revealed pokemon in the footage could still get Alola forms.

It could be possible, but from the looks of it we (the protagonists and their mother) just moved there recently, which mean the regular meowth could be brought by mother from another region, which is very likely how things will turned out.

Aside from that, I wish I could see Aerodactyl, Gengar and Alakazam in the lists in Famitsu just so to completely deny the fact that mega evolution Pokemon will also receive Alolan Form, because it wouldn't felt fair for them being blessed with new mechanics twice(Gyarados and Pinsir was in the list, though)

Years
    • Seen Jan 5, 2018
    Look at the latest trailer from Japan they show Cubone, Pikachu and Exeggcute turning into their evolution Alolan form.
    At 0:50

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    where is my goddamn alolan cloyster

giphy.gif

Back