• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of regional variants? Should they stay?

Years
  • With Alola came regional variants of some Pokémon. Vulpix, Sandshrew, and Exeggutor are some examples of regional variants that look and are typed differently to their non-Alolan counterparts. What do you think of regional variants? Should this trend be continued into later gens?

Sorvete

Novice
    Years
  • They are nice, but I think they should stay only in Alola. It's like the region's own thing.

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I'd also agree that they should stay in the region that introduced them. I wouldn't mind them being a National Dex only thing in games following.

Years
  • I actually really like them and out of the recent gimmicks (DNA splicers, mega-evolution, Z-moves and the Alolan forms themselves) they're the only gimmick that feel like they make sense as an organic way to expand on interesting new ways Pokémon can exist whereas the others just feel forced with the gimmicky-ness being too obvious.

I don't see why they can't exist outside of Alola. In previous game's regions they've had characters in areas say stuff like "X Pokémon is/are not native to this region but for X reason they now inhabit here! How interesting!".

tigertron

Pokémon Master
    Years
  • I don't mind seeing regional variants in future games. We have different breeds of animals based on their regions in the real world so it makes sense to continue having different variants.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • They are neat, and I rather liked the idea. I would not be opposed to new ones - but if so, please go beyond gen 1 this time around, Game Freak! The pandering is too restrictive and misses out on a lot of potential (and simply doesn't make sense that it only applies to gen 1 Pokemon as well).

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • I think more regional variants could be interesting. Animals are different around the world so in the case of say Galar, maybe we could see a regional variant of like Shinx since Lynxes look very different depending on where they are in the world.

Venia Silente

Inspectious. Good for napping.
    Years
  • While I like the idea of regional variants, I feel Alola made them too extreme. Stuff like changing Pokémon types entirely (Vulpix) I feel is more the realm of special phenomena such as Delta Types (from the TCG).

I'd like to see regional forms that go more for the sense of ecosystem fittingness and cosmetic changes than something so foundational that it should have been an entirely different Pokémon. Stuff like say the crests of Feraligatr in more tropical regions being flatter or less saturated in colour, so that they can hunt more effectively in clearer and better illuminated waters.

...Come to think of that, why not make the differences in sprite work from older generations into regional variants? Rounder Pikachu from flatter regions where climbing is not as important as being difficult to eat, darker and bulkier Feraligatr to better mingle in swampy regions, paler or darker Nidoran depending on the toxins they build up from their local diet, the shapes of Blastoise's canons fitting the hunting at different ranges in different regions, that kind of stuff.

That is something I would totes take as regional variants. Not "lol we are too lazy to create a new Pokémon".

Years
  • I wish there were more than a good handful of them that were introduced. Like... in SM, there were only 15 of them. @_@; and to the best of my recollection, there were no new ones introduced in USUM. It bums me out because there's so much potential with this. I also wish Game Freak expanded beyond just the Kanto 'mons and gave Johto a bit of love because good lord they need it.

At first I feel like they should be just left to Alola but... as long as Game Freak can continue regional variants and call them something else that isn't devoid of creativity, I'll be fine with it still being a thing.

Back