• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] The Hisui evolutions are likely extinct

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What do you think the chances are of Wyrdeer and Basculegion + the Hisuin versions of the Pokemon are extinct in modern times?

If so, why do you think Basculegion don't exist now? Same with Wyrdeer & Hisuin Growlithe/Braviary.

Years
    • He/Him
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I'm with you, Flowerchild! It's a tough thought to handle, but then it makes me wonder.. will fossil Pokemon be present during this game? Additionally, how come we have never seen fossils of any of these Hisuin versions 0_0 throughout the older games (I know they didn't exist then, but it still questions my mind if they actually went extinct or not).

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • I'm with you, Flowerchild! It's a tough thought to handle, but then it makes me wonder.. will fossil Pokemon be present during this game?

well they definitely wouldn't have the tech to revive fossils in the period this is set in, unless they've got some really funky powers. so i doubt it

Additionally, how come we have never seen fossils of any of these Hisuin versions 0_0 throughout the older games (I know they didn't exist then, but it still questions my mind if they actually went extinct or not).

praying that they just migrated somewhere else and my son is alive and well😇

Years
  • This was honestly one of the first things I thought of when the new forms were revealed. I'm a pretty dark person lmao.

I'm curious to see what justifications GF come up with for either not including some of them in later games, or the opposite. I'd like to see some reasoning and not just handwaving.

I could see Hisuin Growlithe being the standard Growlithe back then and losing the Rock typing over the ages because it was a huge weakness though heh.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Fossil pokémon are from the dinosaur era; what we're looking at in Hisui is some medieval japanese kind of land at furthest, right? And that's hundreds of years ago, not millions.

It's more likely they'll either just not explain it at all, or do it the way they explain any other regional form: pokémon kept evolving and changing and maybe even their type changed, like gimmepie says.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    Agrees on regional forms disappearing due to being liabilities.

Wyrdeer: Evolves due to living in the harsh natural environment. Implies some type of climate change to the region to render that impossible. Could be due to Arceus's influence. May have left the harsher areas due to more food or fewer predators elsewhere too.

Basculegion: Evolves due to dead Basculin possessing them. Guesses either smaller schools of Basculin (an insufficient number for evolving) or fewer perishing on the journey. Explains the latter through either different journey conditions (such as changes to their route) or fewer predators.

Sidenote: Introduced Spiritomb in Sinnoh. Two of its Pokedex entries:
    - "A Pokemon that was formed by 108 spirits. It is bound to a fissure in an odd keystone."
    - "Its constant mischief and misdeeds resulted in it being bound to an Odd Keystone by a mysterious spell."

Indicates a clustering of spirits, much like Basculegion. Anchored it to the Odd Keystone via something unusual. Could be an important clue or running theme of the game. ...Wonders why Pokemon are going berserk now.

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    Agrees on regional forms disappearing due to being liabilities.

Wyrdeer: Evolves due to living in the harsh natural environment. Implies some type of climate change to the region to render that impossible. Could be due to Arceus's influence. May have left the harsher areas due to more food or fewer predators elsewhere too.

Basculegion: Evolves due to dead Basculin possessing them. Guesses either smaller schools of Basculin (an insufficient number for evolving) or fewer perishing on the journey. Explains the latter through either different journey conditions (such as changes to their route) or fewer predators.

Sidenote: Introduced Spiritomb in Sinnoh. Two of its Pokedex entries:
    - "A Pokemon that was formed by 108 spirits. It is bound to a fissure in an odd keystone."
    - "Its constant mischief and misdeeds resulted in it being bound to an Odd Keystone by a mysterious spell."

Indicates a clustering of spirits, much like Basculegion. Anchored it to the Odd Keystone via something unusual. Could be an important clue or running theme of the game. ...Wonders why Pokemon are going berserk now.

It would be really ironic if Basculegion went extinct because they had less predators over time lmao. The definition of suffering from success.

Years
  • palamon why would you make me think about this!!!! my poor son hisuian growlithe ;____;

*Pokemon Home compatibility gets released*

"Breaking news! A pack of ancient Growlithe thought to be long extinct has been found deep in Mt. Coronet. More on this after the break."

Years
  • The Hisuian version Pokemon will probably be treated exactly the same way as Alolan / Galarian versions. Will they show up elsewhere? Unlikely. Could they? Never say never. We got Johto Pokémon in Kanto, that weren't there in previous games - with absolutely zero explanation - as far back as Gen2.

If the versions are popular, they could easily show up in certain "shut off" and remote areas like islands or mountains.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • I would say it's the same as modern animals, they adapted and stop being Hisuian versions. Stantler also saw no needs to evolve because they migrated to Johto or Sinnoh got warmer, perhaps.

But with the inclusion of Pokémon Home, I am sure we can use them on other games if applicable.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • i mean i'm just saying it's a possibility they could be i'm not saying it's not possible they'll return in the future, lol

as for fossil pokemon, tbh, these games take place thousands, not millions, of years ago so we won't see fossil pokemon in their prime in these games they just won't exist or be able to be revived (so no cranidos or sheildon)

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    There will be a way to obtain them in future games, even if they're not obtainable in a traditional way. I mean, you can obtain Alolan forms in LGPE and SW/Sh.

Regional forms were generally well received, and some of them even got more popularity and usage than their original couterparts. And even if they could theoretically disappear some day, that's more complicated with mons like Wyrdeer, Basculegion, Obstagoon, Cursola, etc. because that would be actually deleting a Pokémon, not just a regional variant.

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    I don't know about extinct, regional forms are effectively mutations brought on by adapting to a significantly different environment.

Since we're in the same area over a large difference in time, its more apt to say they just evolved
    over time as the region changed to the forms we know today.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    The hisui growlithe line could've been the legendary line spoken about in gen 1
    That's a really cool idea tbh! Arcanine in gen 1 is literally called "the Legendary pokémon" and perhaps it's based off tales on its old Hisui form. Strengthening my idea of it becoming Dragon type ;) We shall see.

Years
  • I can perhaps see them be tossed in post game in BP/SP just because too. I dunno if Gamefreak or whoever thought of that, and we won't know till we get our hands on BP/SP.

Years
    • they / them
    • Seen Apr 29, 2024
    Regional forms are one of the most fun new additions in recent Pokemon games. It would be cool lore-wise for them to be "extinct", but for marketing purposes there's no way they won't show up elsewhere. They can just use the same excuse as Pokemon Go is using lately and say "Hoopa did it", hehe.

Years
  • Regional forms are one of the most fun new additions in recent Pokemon games. It would be cool lore-wise for them to be "extinct", but for marketing purposes there's no way they won't show up elsewhere. They can just use the same excuse as Pokemon Go is using lately and say "Hoopa did it", hehe.

Good enough excuse to me, honestly. I think that likely could be the 'canon' excuse too.

Years
    • Seen Jan 23, 2022
    Good theory. And maybe in a future game for the Pokemon that are hisuiean to begin whith we can find fossils

To answer your question of why.the environment maybe doesn't allow it

Last edited:
    Back