• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

7th Gen You could only fish in fishing spots

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • In the Alola games, you could only fish in "fishing spots". You can no longer just fish anywhere. What did you guys think of this change? I've always been meh about it since the fishing spot mechanic felt very limited. :x

DragonKing48

The King Of All Dragons.
    Years
  • Definitely strange and different, while it's not a huge deal negatively or anything to me personally...

IT MAKES NO GOT DANG SENSE IN-GAME!

WTF AND WTH you mean I can't fish in any other area lmao.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I don't really get why they did it, seems like a step backwards considering that before then you could fish in literally any spot on the water

Years
  • It IS a step backwards. In previous generations, there's freedom to fish in ANY body of water. Now....this. And they're doing this s*** in gen 8 too. Like WHY Game Freak?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I have always disliked the change it is just eh... I don't understand what the point of it was. And over all, extremely dissatisfied with it. I don't even fish anymore because of the change.

pkmin3033

I found it more amusing than anything else! You're on an island, surrounded by water...and you can only fish in select spots. Restricted water. Ahahaha.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It doesn't make sense that you can't fish in any body of water anymore.

On the other hand, they made fishing spots in bodies of water on which you can't surf, and that was a good change.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    I found it more amusing than anything else! You're on an island, surrounded by water...and you can only fish in select spots. Restricted water. Ahahaha.
    I never thought of it this way before lol

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Never played 7th Gen and I would probably find it frustrating...but it makes sense. There are certain spots that are much better for fishing than others.
    For a drastic example: you don't go fish in open ocean as its empty, most life (and any that humans would actually want to eat) is in the relative shallows i.e. the continental shelf.
    But even at a smaller scale you might have a patch of coastline that for various reasons has much more abundant aquatic life than 1/2km away.

Years
  • Yeah it's definitely a step backward, and seems more lazy to me than anything else haha. It's like, Game Freak couldn't be bothered to code in the ability to fish in every area of water, so they just put in specific 'fishing spots', I don't get it! I used to love having the freedom to fish wherever.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
  • /shrug

Fishing is way underdeveloped anyways, so I honestly can't bring myself to care at all. If they actually had a semi-decent system before then the scaling back would have been more egregious.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 6, 2021
    i think it was a very bad change especially if you were finding a particularily rare pokemon or even worse shiny hunting

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • Eh, I think it's fine. Even if it doesn't make sense, let me remind you this is the same franchise where mammals lay eggs. And send out particularly large creatures indoors. And trainers never needing to go to the bathroom, eat, or sleep. And grow hair in a haircut. And if spinoffs are allowed to be mentioned, trainers 'evolving'.

I also don't remember in the past 2 generations having to wait way too long to gain my fishing target or the trainer taking in the rod too early, so at least that is a step up from the older gens.

And apparently we are stating it's the biggest downgrade in that generation. May I remind y'all that this was the same gen that had by far one of, or if not my LEAST favourite downgrade in the franchise: reusing trainer models on different trainer classes. I kid you not, this downgrade genuinely makes me angry. Oh, this was also the gen with the grunts with the never fully evolving teams. In the first 4 generations, they did that and it was fine. Both 5, 6, and even 8 had competent grunts, why not 7? That just made the difficulty curve both moronic as well as annoying.

Back