• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What do you think of Pikachu, the mascot Pokémon?

Years
  • What do you think of Pikachu, the mascot Pokémon?

Pikachu has gotten a lot of attention since the series' inception, being the mascot and Ash's first Pokémon. What do you think of Pikachu? Cute or no? If you could change the series mascot to a Pokémon of your choosing, would you, or would you leave it as it is?

Years
  • Honestly, Pikachu is really cute. It's not one of my top 10 favourites or anything, but at the same time, I don't really get the hate. Well, I guess overexposure is a thing that might contribute to negative reactions among some, but still...

It's the mascot of a really popular series. Sure, it's shoved everywhere and I bet you that even if you know someone who doesn't know anything about Pokemon, they'd at the very least be able to spot out Pikachu. And I don't think that's the fault of the Pokemon itself. It's cute, recognizable, and it works for what it is.

It also has a really cute evolution that has an even more adorable Alola form, and a super cute pre-evo. I'd ask what there is to dislike, but hey, everyone's tastes are subjective and I get that. :P

But tl;dr: I really don't mind it!

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Pikachu is a unique color in Yellow and stands out rather well. Yet if you were to ask people who started with Indigo League what Pokemon should have been the mascot, Pikachu probably wouldn't even make it in the top 5. Kanto starters or Eevee would be up there along with Vulpix(yes its that popular... so what if I'm biased) and the Legendary birds. Heck Mewtwo would garner some votes. If I had to pick a mascot, it'd be Eevee, even if my favorite Pokemon happens to be something else. Eevee is way cuter and can evolve numerous ways, making it that much more popular than an Electric Mouse.

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • It's alright. I mostly like it as it's somewhat decent in battle but overall I'm glad they chose it as the mascot. The only bad thing about it is like others said used too much by the creators but it doesnt bother me.

Years
  • Pikachu is the most well known and well recognized Pokemon out there, it is also known to be the cutest Pokemon out there. Its electricity also inspired some others to create their own electricity powers.

Pikachu is not my favorite Pokemon, but its still definitely the best Pokemon in history and the most well received among Nintendo fans.

(sorry for my poor english)

FushigidaneIs1

I think it's cool, but not super cute by any means. If I had picked the mascot, I'd probably pick Mew, considering it's status as a legend.

BH

Canine pokemon fan
    Years
  • What do you think of Pikachu? Cute or no? If you could change the series mascot to a Pokémon of your choosing, would you, or would you leave it as it is?

To put it lightly, i hate it (everytime i see it on YT or being reffered as being "cute" it makes me angry), but yeah i like Pichus and Raichus, go figure

I often put my pokemon yellow's Pikachus in PC, and trying to release it, reccently i nickname my Pikachus rude things (But not mature like e.i. Jerk etc.), except the female pikachus/pichus which i nickname them by my [*] female hamsies - Pipi & Misia.........and then evolve them into Raichus that is

As for mascot of pokemon, i choose to have it been replaced by Eevee

That's kinda the reason why i kinda hate playing Pokepark 1 on my nephew's Wii

Last edited:

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • I love Pikachu :3 He's so adorable and one of my all time favorite pokemon.

...I even used to be pretty defensive over the little critter when I was a young teenager. xDDD

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I like it overall (e.g. in Smash it has been my go-to character of choice), but I do agree that it has been overused a touch too much. All its hatted events in the main games and GO, its availability in the main games (random area with no real purpose in USUM dedicated to it, or even the fact it had to show up in the opening trailer for Sword and Shield), etc. seems a bit much to me.

Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2019
    Its kinda cute, and its a good mascot for the series.
    Also, its quite good in most of the SSB games, not bad.

As for in the Pokemon games? Disappointment is how i would describe it, first time playing Pokemon Yellow and quickly finding out just how bad of a starter it is compared to the normal startes, absolutely cant take a hit, doesnt learn a good damaging move until lvl 28 or something.

Liked how they gave it the lightball later on though, made it powerful, which its supposed to be, if you look at how Ash Pikachu is portrayed.

Years
  • I think Pikachu's cute... BUT NOT AS CUTE AS RAICHU. have you seen those chubby cheeks? and twirly ears? or that adorable alolan form?

seriously, I think Pikachu's fine as a mascot. wonder what could've happened if clefairy ended up as the mascot pokemon

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Pikachu is a great mascot. It has a charming, appealing design and is full of personality. I think Ikue Otani does a great job of making the brave, devoted electric mouse come alive with her expressive and colorful voice work.

I do wish the creators did not adopt this "the fairest of them all" attitude of actively suppressing other pokemon to make that sure nobody outshines the mascot, i.e making Ash mostly use pokemon that aren't fully evolved so Pikachu stays top dog on his team, ultimately hindering his growth as a trainer. Rarely showing the rest of Pikachu's evolutionary line because they threaten Pikachu's cuteness with their own.

Raichu and Pichu are like Cinderella and Snow White, sweet, attractive girls who are ordered to dress only in rags, while Pikachu is indulged with special clothes and caps, major event and tutor moves, a held item that double only its strength, signature z moves.

I like Pikachu, but it doesn't have to be like that tho!

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    It's very cute, but I strongly prefer Pichu and Raichu.

Last edited:
    Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    overrated, sure, but it's still one of my favorites and it's definitely because of Ash's Pikachu in the anime. Ash and Pikachu's interactions and bonds just makes me smile and when they bond seems lacking it just feels wrong hahah. I always liked Pikachu but seeing those two so much definitely got me to love Pikachu so much more.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I mean, Pikachu is the quintessential Pokémon. Love it or hate it, he's here to stay.

Personally, I think Pikachu is plenty cute and represents the franchise well. Though would have been need to see Clefairy in the spotlight! (づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • Personally I like Raichu and Alolan Raichu a lot more, but Pikachu's not bad. Definitely earned its way in my heart since I've used it in two different nuzlockes.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Never gotten the hate towards Pikachu. Although it's not one of my favorite Pokémon it's still cute and I think a very fitting mascot. While I do think there could be more focus on other Pokemon, I can't say I'm annoyed by it.

Back