• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film What was the last movie you watched?

Years
  • Two days ago was Encanto (2021) and last night was Ghajini (2008).

Encanto - The most impressive visuals I've seen so far in a Disney flick. Very interesting story and message (abuela sounds a lot like my aunt, minus the caring & understanding parts), and the characters have some of the coolest designs & silhouettes. My SO is obsessed with Mirabel's curls~

Ghajini - A nearly 14 year old Indian film (damn 2008 was really that long ago??) that honestly could've been split into 2 completely different movies altogether. I got an intense mix of emotions watching the different scenes playout. Guess that's what happens when you give them a 3 hour run time to work with. Also, I will never get tired of Bollywood music videos lmao.

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Just before the New Year's I'd seen Encanto (2021) and Luca (2021)

Encanto was nice, I mostly saw it because Tumblr was obsessed with Bruno Madrigal (for reasons that are exceedingly obvious if you're aware of Tumblr and the movie). It was a nice story, I'm glad we're talking about generational trauma and I'd definitely recommend it.

Luca was a nice story and I'm still salty the production crew tried to pretend it wasn't a queer story when 95% of the story beats are like "yup, that's a queer story".

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Just before the New Year's I'd seen Encanto (2021) and Luca (2021)

Encanto was nice, I mostly saw it because Tumblr was obsessed with Bruno Madrigal (for reasons that are exceedingly obvious if you're aware of Tumblr and the movie). It was a nice story, I'm glad we're talking about generational trauma and I'd definitely recommend it.

Luca was a nice story and I'm still salty the production crew tried to pretend it wasn't a queer story when 95% of the story beats are like "yup, that's a queer story".
    Luca was indeed a super gay tale about coming out and acceptance and it was very very pretty and innocently put - just like any tale about childhood romance/friendship should be.

anyywaaays we recently rewatched The Unthinkable (which has a completely different Swedish title based on a common Swedish church psalm "Den Blomstertid Nu Kommer" = "The Time Of Flowers Now Comes") and it's really well made for being basically a Swedish indie movie but gosh the main character is awful hahaha. Not as in the actor, or the writing - it's really good and he's really great - the character is just loathable on purpose xD

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • Spider-Man: No Way Home

An old friend wanted to catch up and suggested sushi and Spider-Man at the movies, and I couldn't say no to her! It'd been way too long since we'd hung out. And I really, really enjoyed the movie!

Years
  • It's been a few days and we've watched some movies since~

Spider-Man: No Way Home (2021), loved it <3
    Eternals (2021) it was alright. Kept thinking Gilgamesh was Wong lmao
    Orphan (2009) rewatched this bcs my partner loves it for some reason. I just can't D:

Last edited:
    Years
  • Double posting, but hey it's been 2 days since the last post so why not heh

The Parent Trap (1998)

Finally saw it in its entirety, and I love young Lindsay Lohan. She was so cute ugh <3 and clearly already had the acting chops to make it big, kinda like Isabelle Fuhrman did~

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Double posting, but hey it's been 2 days since the last post so why not heh

The Parent Trap (1998)

Finally saw it in its entirety, and I love young Lindsay Lohan. She was so cute ugh <3 and clearly already had the acting chops to make it big, kinda like Isabelle Fuhrman did~

I LOVEEEE THIS MOVIE SO MUCH! It made my younger self wish I had a twin to pull those type of shenanigans lol.

Crawl (2019)

tenfrogs

mrs. van mccann
    Years
  • Crawl was so much better than I expected! I seen it in an empty cinema (well one other couple) and my partner threw her popcorn across the floor 😂

Is Crawl the crocodile movie? If so that was scary D:

I've been watching all of the Halloween movies! I'm only up to #3 now, and the streaming service I am using only has the first 3 and H20, then the 2 Rob Zombie remakes, but so far it's been a scary fun time!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    Crawl was so much better than I expected! I seen it in an empty cinema (well one other couple) and my partner threw her popcorn across the floor 😂

For sure! It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. My dad actually recommended it to me, so naturally I went and read reviews for it.

Despicable Me 2 (2013)

I try and show something during lunch time for the kids in my class and they chose this soooooooo...

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I watched Encanto last night! It's super cute but also heartbreaking and has a very nuanced take on generational trauma.

Years
  • A 1960s movie that had been given to me called Return from the Ashes. It takes place after WWII, and is based on a book by Hubert Monteilhet. A person of interest is a woman named Michelle. She is a caring, affluent doctor who had her life destroyed by the Nazis because she was Jewish. She survived a concentration camp, but her family has all perished, except for her husband and step daughter. She is trying to recover from the trauma of what happened to her, and reunite with the people she knew, but there's no love in the home she returns to.

I don't want to give too much of the plot away, but this is an interesting film that goes in a very different direction than I expected. I thought it was going to focus of her memories of the holocaust, and all the horror would take place in the past, but it's actually about the people left in her life exploiting her for their own ends, just trying to milk some money out of this fragile person, and that is disturbing in it's own way. It's a drama, and thriller that throws multiple curve balls and plot twist at the viewer, and sets itself up as a film with some nasty surprises for us in literally the shocker opening scene on the train, a moment that doesn't have any bearing on the events of the plot, but is important to tell us everything about the main character, and how her suffering has dulled her senses to what has happened around her.

The three principle roles are acted exquisitely by Ingrid Thulin, Maximilian Schell and Samantha Eggar. It is directed in a way that leaves great suspense, like Alfred Hitchcock tension. If you like classic, smart, nail-biters by directors like Hitchcock, Henri-Georges Cluzot or Jacques Tourneur then you might also like this movie.

Years
  • Bridesmaids (2011)

Just another Western comedy starring mostly previous gen SNL folks. 'twas alright heh.

EDIT: and just earlier we watched Ms. Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (2016)

Pretty fast paced, and the climax really didn't feel like a climax to me. Understandable though bcs it's based off a book, which would be a better medium to flesh out characters and story versus a movie.

Last edited:
    Back