• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

An Exquisite Corpse II

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Mmm. Game revival. Although is it called revival if it was never actually alive to begin with? Ah well.

Introduction/How the Game Works

Welcome to An Exquisite Corpse, a strange game that tests not only your individual writing abilities but your capability to work with others to create a random but entertaining finished product.

What is An Exquisite Corpse? To put it simply, it's a party game created by surrealists (so you know it's going to be somewhat messed up). In it, a player writes or draws a piece of a composition and reveal only a part of it to another player, who would then continue the cycle by writing their own continuation to the last player's part before passing it onto another. The end result is an erratic and disjointed piece (of crap) that may or may not make any sense whatsoever. Laughs are had by all as they try to figure out how each piece fits together.

To participate in the game, the first thing you need to do is sign up. Right now, you're looking at the discussion thread. To sign up, just post in it, and I'll add you to the player list. That's all you have to do. That's it. Nothing more. Nada. Zip. Zilch. It's that simple.

Once you've got the hang of that part, then comes the harder part.

I'll take the list and shuffled the people on it so you all wind up in a random order. Once I post the signal for the first round (and you'll know when I will), the people designated as the heads (i.e., the first people on each list) will begin by writing part of a story until they reach a certain goal which will be detailed in the rules below. When they reach their goal, they'll only pass the last line of their part (whether or not it's complete) to the next person in line. Then, they'll write their part and pass the last line on to the next person. This continues until there's no one left on the list. When that happens, the last person writes something resembling a possible ending to the story before shipping a message that says something along the lines of "OK! I'm finished!" to the first person in line.

At that point, the first person in line makes a post in this thread to get a title. (The head and the first three people to post one word for the title create it.) Once a title is decided, the head creates a thread in the main forum (tagged with a special tag that I'll also get to in a moment) containing his part of the story. After that, each person in line posts their part in succession until the entire story is complete. Then, we stand back and laugh at the crap we've written.

Sounds simple, right? Oh, it gets more complicated than that.

Rules:

1. Each part must be one page long, single-spaced in twelve-point, Times New Roman font, with margins set at 1" top and bottom and 1.25" left and right. (Check your page setup to change the latter.) Please note those specifics because there's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. You're going to write using that format until you hit a new page. When that happens, ship the line that bumped you to a new page off to the next person in line, even if it's not a complete sentence.
1a. The exception to this rule are the people who are at the end of the line. They MUST wrap up their story within their part, no matter how long it ends up being, just as long as that ending is at least a page long.

2. A player CANNOT discuss what they're writing with anyone, including and especially the line. They also can't change their piece in any way once they've finished.

3. To keep the game going, each part must be finished in a week. One week really is a sufficient amount of time to write at least a page worth of storyline, so there's really little excuse. However, if you're unable to work in under a week, please simply forward the message you've received from the person before you to the next person in line so the game can continue.

4. When you ship your line to the next person, you can do so via PM or e-mail. Do NOT use this thread to post a line.

5. If you're the first person in line who's posting a thread, please insert the tag [Corpse] in front of the thread title. That way, we'll know it's part of this game.

Q&A

Q. I don't get it. What's the point?
A. There is no point. It's an entertaining fling in which you mix your creativity with that of others to drag them through several rounds of brutal and pointless torment.

Q. Are the corpses really considered stories?
A. There's a beginning, a middle, an end, and some semblance of a plot. That's actually more than some badfics out there, so I personally say yes.

Q. What do I get for joining?
A. Eternal glory.

Q. Are there any requirements to join?
A. Well, you have to write. A lot. And you have to be comfortable with working with other people when you don't even know what you're supposed to be writing about.

Q. Can I write about Pokémon or something other than Pokémon?
A. There's no actual limitation to what you can write for your entry, but keep in mind that this game is being held in the Pokémon Fanfiction forum (so it's recommended that you stick to Pokémon).

Q. Wait. Go over the part about titles again.
A. When the head receives the OK from the last person in line, he goes to make a post in this thread with a single word that should be a subject. Then, the first three people to post next get to add something to the "sentence" so that each entry, when strung together, makes no sense, is related to the piece, but is still, somehow, a sentence. Examples of actual corpse titles:

roaming/brings peaceful divinity/organic opportunities/great googally boogally!!
sidereal/king in yellow/painfully sneezes/when doves fly!

So, just write the first thing that comes to mind, and you'll be fine.

Also, the heads should add the tag [Corpse] to the beginning of the sentence when they put it in the title of a thread so we know it's a corpse.

Q. Can I join after the game starts?
A. Sure you can. You'll be added to the end of the line, however, in case the line is already halfway through.

Q. Where can we review fresh corpses?
A. In the corpse thread, after the story is finished.

Q. Where can we find old corpses?
A. In this thread. There will be a list of finished corpses each round.

Q. Won't it take forever for one round to complete?
A. Yeah, at the very most, a round may take a couple of months. If it gets that ridiculous, I'll start breaking people into teams. Otherwise, uh, write quickly?

Q. I have more questions!
A. Feel free to respond to this thread to ask. That's why I've made this a discussion thread.

Old Corpses

Ho-oh's Incoherent Blank Continuum
Thine bony, fiery Quetzacoatl
Discombobulated Dish-washing Wonder Malarkey

Next Round Begins

???

Current Team

Please use this list in determining who's next.

Censored
Astinus
Rabbit
Icomeanon6
An-chan
Xanthine
Shrike Flamestar
Post Office Buddy
Ninja Caterpie
POKEMON_MASTER_0

Last edited:

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
I would but I am going on a trip for the next few days, then school starts, plus a book report to finish.

But I would absolutely love to read the finished products ^ ^

txteclipse

The Last
Years
I love all things random and not-making-sense. Count me in! Maybe wait a bit longer in case anyone else wants to jump in, though? Four would technically take a month if everyone used the maximum amount of time, but that's also four weeks others would have to wait. Or they could just make their own...never mind...

POKEMON_MASTER_0

caffeine 1mg/mL, 240 mL po q4h prn fatigue
Years
This sounds interesting. I actually did an activity like this in school once and it turned out to be hilarious.

I'll try my hand at it. Count me in!

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
That list is getting pretty big, this must be what I get for not logging on for over 12 hours.

*raises hand, waves it furiously* Pick me! Pick me!

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
All right, guys. The first round's order has been randomized. (You're still free to join, but you'll end up at the end of the line.)

For this round, we're doing a test. There's nine of you, so that'll take a bit of time to complete. Keep on top of it and submit quickly, and I won't split you up into teams the next round. If it really does take us a little over two months to complete this round, then yeah, next round will have more than one team.

That said, the order:

Blue Angel
Dark Lakitu
kcander90
Aqua059
POKEMON_MASTER_0
IceDragon2439
icomeanon6
Jax Malcolm
txteclipse

PM will be fired off to Blue Angel, and otherwise, let the round begin!

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
All right, guys. The first round's order has been randomized. (You're still free to join, but you'll end up at the end of the line.)

For this round, we're doing a test. There's nine of you, so that'll take a bit of time to complete. Keep on top of it and submit quickly, and I won't split you up into teams the next round. If it really does take us a little over two months to complete this round, then yeah, next round will have more than one team.

That said, the order:

Blue Angel
Dark Lakitu
kcander90
Aqua059
POKEMON_MASTER_0
IceDragon2439
icomeanon6
Jax Malcolm
txteclipse

PM will be fired off to Blue Angel, and otherwise, let the round begin!

0_o *blink*blink*
Huh?
Did you read my post thoroughly enough? (I've done that one wrong before :] )

I'm too busy right now.
If you threw me in because you needed a ninth, I understand, but I am too busy ;p
Thanks, but I can't.

Maybe add the two others to a different team, count yourself out (but it sounds like you really want to) or beg me to work against my busy-ness(:p)

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
0_o *blink*blink*
Huh?
Did you read my post thoroughly enough? (I've done that one wrong before :] )

I'm too busy right now.
If you threw me in because you needed a ninth, I understand, but I am too busy ;p
Thanks, but I can't.

Maybe add the two others to a different team, count yourself out (but it sounds like you really want to) or beg me to work against my busy-ness(:p)

Sorry about that. I just added whoever posted after the initial, actually, rather than read whether or not they were actually joining because I'd assumed no one would be doing a "I'd like to join, but" post. Apologies if this sounds biting, but why would you post in the game thread if you didn't actually want to participate? O_o

That said, sure, I'll take you off the player list, and the first one up is therefore Dark Lakitu.

Blue Angel

Living for now
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 7, 2016
Sorry about that. I just added whoever posted after the initial, actually, rather than read whether or not they were actually joining because I'd assumed no one would be doing a "I'd like to join, but" post. Apologies if this sounds biting, but why would you post in the game thread if you didn't actually want to participate? O_o

That said, sure, I'll take you off the player list, and the first one up is therefore Dark Lakitu.

To tell you I was interested, but I'm busy :)
Well, it was mainly because I wanted to make sure I'd get to read it.
It sounds a little biting, but you do make a good point. ^^

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
To tell you I was interested, but I'm busy :)

Again, why post in that case? =/ I mean, it's great that you're interested, but I do have profile notes and PMs. (And anyway, I still don't quite know why one would post to say they're not going to participate. If you don't want to participate because you're busy, that's fine. I say in the first post that you can join later if you feel you're up for it but will be tacked onto the end of the line. Otherwise, you don't need to tell me you're not going to take part. If I don't get a post from you, then I know you don't want to be put in line.)

I'd rather keep this thread as clean as possible so there's very little confusion as to what's going on. I apologize if I didn't mention that earlier, but mostly, it's sign-ups and away notices here as well as title creation between rounds. Reviews will go in corpse threads. Discussion, meanwhile, I'd like to keep to players only between rounds. (Yeah, as restrictive as it is, I'd like to keep discussion during rounds minimal to avoid "OMG who're we on?" posts and discussion about the plot.)

Well, it was mainly because I wanted to make sure I'd get to read it.

Of course you would. The corpse will be in the main forum when it's done. O_o

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
Years
Hmm...Well, TxtEclipse just sent me his part so...ehh?
...Hmm...So...I have to post one word for the title?

Ho-oh's

I'm not gonna get busted for bumpin this, am I? There's no need for this thread for the 2 or so months in between, really...x.x

An-chan

Whoops.
Years
Umm, I understood the current round is almost over, right? So, is there any chance I could get in on the next round? I sure do like writing a lot, and we did similar things in elementary school. Actually, we did them all the time, and my parts were always the most extraprdonary ones. I don't quite know if that's a good or a bad thing, but at least it proves that I'm crazy...

Although I'm not 100% sure I completely understood the part about titles.

JX Valentine

Your aquatic overlord
Years
Sure. I'll add you to the next round's list.

As for titles, if you've written part of the current corpse, all you need to do is be one of the first four people (including the person posting to say the corpse is finished) to post a single word, and your word will be added to the title.

So, for example, Dark Lakitu posted "Ho-oh's," which will be the first word of the title. The second will be icomeanon's "Incoherent." The third will be what I post below, and the fourth will be someone else's word. Hence, the title will be something like this:

Ho-oh's Incoherent Blank Blank.

That will be posted as the title of the thread, followed by the head's part.

By the way, I'll add one word to keep this up:

Blank.

Very creative, no?

Back