• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How to stay motivated?

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    When you feel like you don't really have the drive to post in a certain RP as you used to... What are some things you try to do to get back into it and feel eager again? Share some tricks pls o:

Songbird

Tonight, the marigolds bloom for her.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2024
    I like to put characters (not just mine) through hell and back. Alternatively, I do something that completely takes my mind off it, like playing a game for a few hours. Or days. >_>

Years
    • UK
    • Seen Apr 5, 2024
    I use my idle time(Shower, bus, boring classes etc) to think of ideas or interesting plot twist/or events that could spice up the plot later on. Then I aim to work towards those goals. :)
    >_> Now you all know what I do in the shower...enjoy that.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    Staying motivated... I don't think that's possible. I lose motivation and morale all the time. Often, things seem like they're going nowhere, or so slowly, that they won't be worth my time anymore.

So what do I do? I just post. Thoughts and laziness fight against me, I pull myself to do it, and I do it. Even if I write something shitty, I have nothing to lose. Because at the very least, I progressed the thread somehow. I contributed, and I kept it that one step closer from dying. I don't like to think too far ahead, getting myself all overly excited on parts we might not get to. Instead, I look at things day by day, moment by moment, and think of every post I've made as an achievement in the fight against laziness, and the fight for progression. I make plans for that day or maybe even for the week, but nothing more. This helps keep me going. Focusing on one thing at a time rather than the future and getting all overwhelmed by it.

Years
  • Posting while feeling motivated is the easy part, but there is no guaranteed cure for losing motivation to post. Sometimes you just need to buckle down and say, "I don't care what else happens, I'm writing up a post tonight."

I've found some of the best ways to stay interested in a roleplay is to only join a limited number, two or three, and make sure that they are roleplays that you are very interested in when it comes to the story. Personally, I've given up on any sort of Pokemon Journey roleplay just because I can't get myself engaged in the story. Likewise, I find myself with roleplays with cool settings, but a loose and open story where I get disinterested. I think it comes down to the person in choosing which roleplays are the most interesting and engaging, but only pick the ones that you know are a big pull for you.

Years
  • I rarely feel a lack of motivation in itself, although I do procrastinate at times. I think the best thing you can do is talk about ideas with someone else. You end up hyping each other up and developing new plot lines.

I have spent many an hour talking Gunpowder with various people.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • I do most of my posting after I've been laying in bed unable to sleep. Or when other people tell me to stop being a lazy shit and do things. Just gotta have that little push.

Foxrally

[img]http://i.imgur.com/omi0jS3.gif[/img]
    Years
  • giphy.gif

^ Basically. Just find something to get excited about that isn't yourself, get others hyped too, and watch it spread like an uncontrollable disease. I find that talking about future plans and posting memes is a great way to do that. :strut:

Jauntier

Where was your antennas again?
    Years
  • I'm pretty decisive. If I know I have no motivation in a role-play after a while, if it feels like a drag to continue slugging my character along, I will end participation--or if others feel it en mass as well, I'll stall with them out of existence, as that's easier when you can foresee through the mass drop in posting activity. The latter is much more prevalent with sandbox role-plays like journeys, especially if you feel the GM isn't doing their part in the upkeep anymore, either. But there's nothing wrong with standing up and voicing an opinion to quit something you no longer enjoy or plan to actively participate.

This is not comparable to enjoying a role-play and knowing I have to make a post but personally feeling tired at the moment. I will just work through it for the sake of engaging participation. My excitement comes from the responses I hope to generate with my character's actions. I like interaction.

Back