• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How long does it take you?

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
So, how long does it take you to finish one chapter?

I'm really curious because it usually only takes me a day or two. However, it also depends too on whether I like what I'm writing or not. I have a hard time deciding how to write the first chapter of my stories. So, on estimate... I'd say about four or five days tops if you count the number of times I have to redo the chapters over and over again. XD

What about you guys?

icomeanon6

It's "I Come Anon"
Years
For me it really depends on how long the chapter is. The last chapter story I wrote had some long chapters, the longest was 11,000 words. For the one I'm writing now the range has been more like 3,500 to 5,500 words. When I'm in "writing mode," I'll usually write about 500 words on a weekday, so for this story it's taken me between a week and a week and a half per chapter, not counting final proofreading and editing; for my last story it was often more than two weeks.

That's the thing about chapters, it's a deceptive way of stating how fast or slow you write your story. Different authors prefer to split things up into different sized chunks.

User19sq

About half-an-hour for me. But then again, my chapters aren't the longest.

Bay

Years
I haven't done chaptered stories in a while, but yeah for me it also depends on the length and amount of time I set myself to write. Perhaps two or three days on average, though before I can finish a chapter within a day if no distractions. Lately some of my stories that are meant to be read in one sitting can take me several days to write if they're in the 4k-20k word range.

Last edited:

Vragon

I aim for a 1000 word count in the chapters I post here. This usually takes around thirty minutes to an hour and a half if I have a decent synopsis of the chapters goals and overall point. If I don't have that I do extra time so that I don't loose my "Writing Groove" you could say.

However, on my bigger projects their chapters can really vary in word count. They usually take more time and occasionally lookovers before I'm ready to call it complete.

EmeraldSky

Make the Colors in the Sky!
Years
It depends on how inspired I'm feeling, and how much I end up writing.

I can fire off a quickie in an hour or two, but longer episodes may take anywhere from two to six hours (that was an epic fourteen page episode that took the better part of an afternoon to write)

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
Years
I'm easily distracted, so a 1,000 word chapter can take anywhere from 20ish minutes to several days or sometimes even weeks. It also depends on what the chapter is heavier on. If it's more dialogue, it'll take me longer to complete as compared to a chapter that's more or less just setting up for something else and describing a scene - fights also take much less time to write because I can see the picture clearly in my mind of what's happening and I just rush through trying to keep up with it before it fades away.

Delirious Absol

Call me Del
Years
  • Age 39
  • UK
  • Seen Jan 27, 2019
It can really vary depending on how fluid my writing is coming. I like to write a chapter a day if I can. I tend to write around 1,500-2000 words an afternoon, but sometimes I can write less (and often won't call that a fully chapter unless it ended with some oomph) and sometimes I write more. I aim to have my chapters around 2000 words but some have ended up being significantly longer.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
Years
  • Seen Nov 23, 2023
Do I really see people mention chapters with more than 10k words? Jesus louise, those are incredibly big chapters.

A chapter usually takes me anywhere from two hours to a couple of days, depending on my mood and the subject matter. I tend to write around 2k words in a session and that's generally my chapter lenght too. That's if I know where I want to take the story, though. Sometimes I'm in one of those filler parts, where you need to transition from one plot point to another and I write a lot slower then.

Bay

Years
Haha my chapters tend to be in the 2k to 5k range, but some of my non-chaptered stories did get shot up to 10k or more. My upcoming fic Foul Play though has chapters that are 4k to more than 5k (I'm writing the fourth chapter now and it's been taking me more than a week to write so far because lol how you do Pokemon battles and um distractions oops).

Years
When I'm really feeling it, I can finish a chapter in a couple of hours; otherwise, it can take a week or two many.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
I write a page a day, and I aim for chapters that are at least 22 pages long. So it takes me around three weeks to write a chapter, depending on how well the words come. This doesn't account for editing anything, since I wait until the entire story is finished before going back to edit.

My chapters average ~16,000 words, with the shortest (so far) being 14,000 words. I know that they're going to get longer since I just added another character, and two that were missing for two chapters are coming back into the plot.

Ice said:
Do I really see people mention chapters with more than 10k words? Jesus louise, those are incredibly big chapters.
I feel like fanfics tend to run on the longer side compared to published novels. At least from the authors that I follow.

Back