• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

If you had a child...

Years
  • How would you introduce them to the world of gaming? Would you start with the current generation or would you start with SNES for example and gradually work upward from there?

TY

"See TY Junior this is Rise of Nations, a game from the RTS genre and there is plenty of other good stuff in the RTS genre, but not now... now is a different time *vietnam flashbacks*"

Years
  • start with fun platformers like LBP or Mario. Later move them into Pokemon games and RPG's. When near 11 or older introduce them to Halo, Uncharted or other shooters or action adventures.

Graine

It looks at you and casts Mind Blast.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 10, 2018
    Pop in Dark Souls and tell him it's an easy game.
    That's what I'm talking about. "Git Gud or get out my household scrub". Gotta teach them while they're young.

As for me, this is the first game intro they would ever see. And they're not leaving the couch until they have the 100 Jiggies and 900 Notes.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I've already influenced my 8 year old niece in a sinister way. My favorite game is Pok?mon Sapphire and so I got her Alpha Sapphire for her 3DS. My favorite Pok?mon also happens to be Blaziken. So I gave her my Torchic plush in hopes that she'll choose Torchic as her starter and love Blaziken and Hoenn as much as I do. >:)

Last edited:

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
    Years
  • What kind of parent would dictate what kind of games a child has to play first. Play what interests you, that's the whole point of video games in the first place.

And besides, does a modern child even need video games introduced to them? Games are rather entrenched in our society as it is.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    If my kids hadn't memorized skyrim by the age of 2, I'd be very disappointed in them.'

they'd play oblivion first tho

Last edited:

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • My nephew, who is now 6, started with me letting him play Mario Galaxy, Sunshine and a few N64 titles like Majora's Mask and Paper Mario. Maybe not the best game for beginners, but he was immediately hooked. He loved Breath of the Wild too and I couldn't believe when he actually beat the final boss!

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Well, I was 3 when I first started playing games on the NES, and I still have that system, so I would probably get them started on that. Kids learn quickly, so they could get rolling on a bunch of games with just a little guidance.

Then one proud day, 'The student surpasses the master' :')

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • My nephew, who is now 6, started with me letting him play Mario Galaxy, Sunshine and a few N64 titles like Majora's Mask and Paper Mario. Maybe not the best game for beginners, but he was immediately hooked. He loved Breath of the Wild too and I couldn't believe when he actually beat the final boss!
    Super Mario Galaxy is actually a really good choic for a young kid. I'm sure they would love the music in that game, which is so good that is would expand its imagination!
    Well, I was 3 when I first started playing games on the NES, and I still have that system, so I would probably get them started on that. Kids learn quickly, so they could get rolling on a bunch of games with just a little guidance.

Then one proud day, 'The student surpasses the master' :')

Would a three year old have difficulties playing video games because of their motor skills?

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I'd introduce him with some of the classics, but then he's able to play what he wants. Liking a game has to be spontaneous in my opinion.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • For someone that doesn't want kids, I think about this a lot. Anyway, I have systems from the NES to the PS4 and Wii U, so I mean. I don't think there would really be a "starting point" so to speak, because I play all my consoles somewhat evenly. For the most part, it just depends on what games I'm currently playing. And often times, I replay games, so Lil Syd would probably get to enjoy things from all sorts of decades. I personally don't think there's any particular way to introduce children to gaming? Though if they start being heavy into it, I think it is important to understand and recognize classics.

I'm not of the mindset that "oh games were better back in the day hurr hurr" because lol. It largely depends on the game itself and how it's aged. There's no perfect era, in my opinion. Just let'em play whatever appeals to them, regardless of console. Age appropriate, of course. lol

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    In all honesty, start them with the old games, not because they were better, but because it's just so hard to go back. I'm sure games like FF7, Morrowind, etc. were great, but I can't bring myself to play them.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • What kind of parent would dictate what kind of games a child has to play first. Play what interests you, that's the whole point of video games in the first place.

And besides, does a modern child even need video games introduced to them? Games are rather entrenched in our society as it is.

I'm no parent or expert, but its probably a good idea as a parent to introduce your kids to games that are age appropriate.

Back