• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anime/Manga Dub or sub

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    Generally I prefer sub, as English doesnt suit the tone and dialogue only dub I really like is Yu yu hakusho and DB

Also DB sub is better than their overrated dub counterparts. Goku's voice isn't that feminine and Vegitos voice is goat

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I usually do sub first. If I rewatch an anime I'll do dub. Nothing against either and the whole "which is better" debate is just really pointless and toxic imo.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    I prefer dubs as it's easier to focus on the art, but subs are fine too.

SoundWaveGuy

I AM DECEPTICON
    Years
    • Seen Aug 17, 2020
    Depends. I mainly prefer Subs but if i came across a dub that did good like FullMetal Alchemist and Cowboy Bebop? I'd watch it.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    normally i watch the show subbed first. then i'll give the dub a shot and if i like it then i'll choose the dub over the sub if i plan on wanting to use the anime as background noise since i don't have to look up to see where the show is at haha.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I can only watch with subs. The only exceptions are Pokémon and Digimon down to childhood nostalgia polluting my judgement...but I can live with that.

Years
  • subs sounds more natural to me compared to dubs. and there are times when the subs' voice actor do a better job than the dubs'

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
    Years
  • As I've said in these previous debates, I prefer dubs mainly because reading subs are harder for me. I have various learning disabilities, and one of the issues I have is poor reading comprehension. Reading subs makes it hard to really understand what's going on. I have to focus more on them than the visuals in the anime. With dubs, I just have to listen while watching and can understand what's happening a lot better... does that make sense? D:

The only anime I do prefer subbed is Black Butler. I hate hate HATE Grell's english voice actor. He makes Grell sound like grinding flatware. I simply cannot STAND it. I mean, no offense to his voice actor... he probably wasn't made for the role or anything. ><

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 30, 2020
    I do prefer to watch dubbed most of the time. I can handle subbed, but usually, I prefer dubbed.

I even have a bit of a soft spot for bad dubs, however, so maybe my standards are utterly broken.

pkmin3033

I tend to watch dubbed where I can, although it depends on the quality of the voice acting. Japanese voices all sound the same to me - asides Norio Wakamoto, anyway - so I can't say I honestly care (although it annoys the hell out of me in video games to the point I would rather play the game without voices at all, which I can't explain...) but a lot of the modern English VAs are quite grating and lack the charisma of the older ones. I look at the dub first, then the sub second if I don't like what I see, basically. When I even watch anime at all these days. Which is rare.

...and if Yuri Lowenthal is in a prominent role, I avoid it like the plague. I detest his voice.

Years
  • If a dub is done well then it will be the dub without fail. Like some other members above, I have reading issues which make it extremely difficult for me to read the subs fast enough so I inevitably end up missing some of the story or at very least the art and context.

From a purist point of view it used to really bother me and I would force myself to watch everything subbed until I came across several quotes from Hayao Miyazaki in which he basically stated that his films were meant to be watched not read. That was a true eureka moment for me and since then I have stopped torturing myself and watched the dub of most things as long as it is done well and doesn't change the meaning of the original. If it is a dreadfully poor dub though then subbed it still is.

With that said, due to the issues I have, I usually watch dubs with subs turned on anyway in case I need a little extra help processing the information on screen so I guess I'm just weird! :)

Years
  • Depends on what type of mood i'm in when watching the anime in question. If i'm multitasking for whatever reason, such as drawing or eating, then dubbed is the way to go for me (unless the dubbing is horrendous). However i will admit i feel more comfortable watching subbed, and will choose to do so if i can dedicate my entire time to watching it.

Sometimes i'll watch Dragon Ball Z/Super or the first few Pokemon seasons in dub even if i'm not multitasking, but that's mostly for the nostalgia. Not a fan of current Pokemon's dubbing, and though the Dragon Ball's one is pretty darn good, watching Super subbed has made me grow to love the sub just as much.

Chreed

Weirdo is lurking
    Years
  • I mostly prefer subs for some other anime but sometime I watch dub on some specific animes (e.g Clannad, Baka to test, Dragonball etc.) so I prefer both

Back