• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

What got you into Pokemon?

Years
  • I was thinking about how Pokemon is played by people of all ages. Most people will grow out of the things they liked as kids (for instance I don't care about Barbies anymore lol) but Pokemon seems to be something that people continuously love no matter how old they become.

So I was wondering what about Pokemon first got you into it and what about it makes you remain such an active fan? In my case, I first saw the cartoon when I was 4 and I liked it because I liked all the different kinds of Pokemon and theirs designs. As I got old enough to understand the show and game more, I was attracted to the idea of "collecting them all".

What about you?

Years
  • My classmates! I had just moved to America at the age of 7 or 8 and couldn't speak a word of English. Noticed everyone in the class was showing off trading cards and playing the games, plus I caught TV show episodes airing too. When everyone around you loved Pokémon, it was hard not to follow suit haha. The games (as well as my classmates!) helped me learn English. =')

Uecil

[img]https://i.ibb.co/4jfYrCT/tHdpHUB.png[/img]
    Years
  • My auntie and there was this show I use to watch every weekend, that was presented by Ant and Dec.
    I got more in to it, the more I watched the anime and played the games. I had a few friends at Primary school, where we use to pretend play out moments from the show or pretend to be trainers.

Years
  • My classmates! I had just moved to America at the age of 7 or 8 and couldn't speak a word of English. Noticed everyone in the class was showing off trading cards and playing the games, plus I caught TV show episodes airing too. When everyone around you loved Pokémon, it was hard not to follow suit haha. The games (as well as my classmates!) helped me learn English. =')

Oh wow! I think it's great that the game helped you learn English!!! I never really thought about how Pokemon can impact someone's life like that. It's so cool <3

icycatelf

Alex
    Years
  • I think my aunt (who also got me into video games) indirectly got me into Pokémon. IIRC, I was flipping through the channels at my grandparents' house when she said "That's one of those Japanese cartoons!" It was Sailor Moon, and I fell in love with the art style. I was since drawn to anything anime, so when Pokémon peaked in popularity during my 4th Grade year, I had to get in on that action. I think my first Pokémon-related item was a Butterfree card from Burger King's first movie promotion, which I kind of begged a classmate for. >_>

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2018
    Loved the show as a kid, But the games are what have really held my attention. I love strategy games and the pokemon games are an excellent strategy game series with a surprising amount of depth.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • My bro bought cards of them, and I found them adorable.

The cuteness peeked my curiousity lol :3

After awhile I started playing the games and i've loved them for years ever since ^_^ (and i've grown to like more than just the 'cuter' pokemon over time, too xD though the cute ones may still be my favorites since i'm still a girly girl who relates to cute things overall lol)

Last edited:

KingRazor

Pokemon Master Since 1999
    Years
  • It was late 1998 and I was 9 years old. Had some older friends that were into it, and I started watching the anime. For my 10th birthday I got Pokemon Red. Been a fan ever since.

Years
  • I always initially thought the anime did, but my mother told me that the TCG actually was my first draw when I was like three years old, so there's that!

Years
  • The impetus was my family. As a four year old, I was watching the original anime on the floor, warring over a Charmander toy, dog-earring cards and scribbling in the trivia books. Hitmonlee was my favourite because he creeped the sh...sheet, out of everyone but me.

I used to play Pokemon Stadium with my kin as an anklebiter. They hogged all the good 'mon and left me with the deadbeats, then wiped me out and called be a bad sport when I screamed and jumped into lava. This franchise has given me problems, yo. And burns. But I'm 75% masochist so I like it.

My utter obsession has eroded a little but I'm still in love with Pokemon.

Neb

Cosmog Enthusiast
    Years
    • Age 22
    • He/they
    • Oregon
    • Seen Mar 14, 2023
    There was a sale on Pok?mon cards and my Mother got me some! I still remember how excited I was when I got a Glaceon.

LadyJirachu

Fluffy and Elegant :3
    Years
  • Its awesome how, I started out just liking the cuter ones, then grew up to like cooler ones too over time (while still also loving the cute ones).

Its kinda unique. I hope things stay this way for me now xD I feel its a symbol of my growing courage and strength as a person as well.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2019
    I've been into Pokemon so lnog, I don't even REMEMBER how i got into it. For real it was just everywhere when I was a kid - it was unavoiadable.

Back