• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Google Chrome could soon kill off adblockers

TY

After killing your RAM, they will now kill your adblocking services

Glad I made the switch to Firefox ages ago.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I guess we'll have to wait and see - they're only potential proposed changes, after all, doesn't mean they will be implemented, and I presume they'd be aware of people that would just use something else to get by ads.

Years
    • Seen today
    If they do effectively kill adblockers, it will be a good reason for me to switch to something else.

Gabri

m8
    Years
  • The only reason I use Chrome right now is because it's linked to my Android stuff through the Google account, alongside Gmail and Youtube and I can't be arsed to type my password so many times for those.

I've been hating it lately though, it was once great with RAM saving but now it's the major RAM clusterfuck.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    They're really considering making it so you basically can't use adblockers on Chrome anymore? Fuck that.

They'll probably try to dress it up as something nice sounding, but I have a hard time believing that this is anything other than corporations looking out for each other. Regardless, ads are often obnoxious and intrusive (and occasionally have viruses in them) and they should work on fixing that instead. If they don't want people using adblockers, don't give people reason to use them in the first place.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • Ads = Revenue
    Ad blockers = reduction in Revenue

Its not rocket science people. They're a Corporation first and foremost and have been using their monopoly to monitor and sell your whereabouts as soon as they obtained the means to do so. Call me a cynic if you want but I live in their Big Brother nest in California. If its not "1984" yet, it sure will be if you allow it(referencing Facebook, Twitter and all the technology giants with that too).

Years
  • Ads = Revenue

Its not rocket science people. They're a Corporation first and foremost and have been using their monopoly to monitor and sell your whereabouts as soon as they obtained the means to do so. Call me a cynic if you want but I live in their Big Brother nest in California. If its not "1984" yet, it sure will be if you allow it(referencing Facebook, Twitter and all the technology giants with that too).
    adblockers exist to protect a computer from infections. change my mind.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen today
    Ads = Revenue

DO NOT FORGET that Chrome did introduce advertising standards and implemented a native ad-blocking product into Chrome to protect users from sites that actively abuse ads. It doesn't rid of ads entirely, but it does make it so that sites have to basically play by Google's rules. So they're actively working against their own product in this way, but it's to protect the end-user and keep the internet somewhat realistic in terms of accessibility. They may be a corporation but they do have some sense of responsibility for taking into their own hands what people are doing with their own products and that they need to keep these kinds of things under some degree of control.

Years
  • I currently use Chrome but yeah if they make it so adblockers will not be able to function on Chrome I'll be making a switch as soon as that happens if it does.

Adverts would be the dealbreaker issue for my choice of internet provider if this becomes a thing. In fact the only apps I use are adblockers, pop-up blockers and apps to help hide from sites trying to detect them.

Years
  • yeah, recently read about this. thought the proposed change was for chromium and not just chrome. regardless, a crappy move if it's implemented and i would jump ship immediately to an alternative

Back