• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Film Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

Years
  • tumblr_oi9ozyG38W1s3appdo1_500.jpg

For those of us lucky enough to have already seen it, what did you think of this new addition to the Star Wars movie franchise? Let's keep everything except generic comments all in spoilers for now.

Spoiler:

Celebrating my 10,000th post here woo

Reactions: Her

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Spoiler:

Last edited:
    Years
  • What, they saw Kylo Ren and how much people hated him because he's not a great villain and is whiny, so they had to dust off Darth Vader? I guess we'll just have to wait and see. I hate all of Rogue One's commercials though, mainly Nissan's.

Years
  • ~spoilers~

Spoiler:

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I want to get into this series but have no idea where to start.

Do I skip the animated movies and TV show?

Years
  • I want to get into this series but have no idea where to start.

If you mean start in on the whole of the Star Wars franchise there are a couple of ways you can go about it.

1. Chronologically by release date. This means starting with the original trilogy: A New Hope, Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi. Then you watch the prequel trilogy: The Phantom Menace, Attack of the Clones, and Revenge of the Sith. Then you'd move on to The Clone Wars television series, the Rebels television series. In the middle you'd watch The Force Awakens and then Rogue One, though you could probably finish off all the existing Rebels episodes before moving on to the latest two movies and it wouldn't really make much difference.

2. In-universe chronologically. You watch them by episode number with The Clone Wars between 2 and 3. Rebels after 3. Rogue One after Rebels. Then 4 though 7.

3. Just the movies, with the two chronological options listed above.

There are benefits to each, and downsides. If you watch in release order you get the experience that most people had, though without the long waits. The movie special effects get better as you go along. The downside is the quality of the movies jumps around. You wouldn't have the same takeaway as longtime watchers though because we've had the original trilogy in our heads for a while when we went into the prequel movies so we were going in with one idea of what Star Wars "is" and the prequels didn't match up for a lot of us. You wouldn't necessarily get the same impression if you're watching all the movies within a relative short span of time.

If you start with the prequels you're in one sense getting the bad stuff out of the way first (personal opinion) so that you can end on better movies. The trouble there is that you might get thrown off by the big jumps in the ages of the films because you're going from early 2000s to now to the late 70s-early 80s, and then back to now again. And that's if you're just watching the movies. And you might like the prequels or otherwise think of them as your personal "original" movies. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but I'm just putting that out there.

Whether you want to engage with the television shows or not is really up to you and how much you'd want to invest. The Clone Wars alone has like 100 episodes or something so that's a lot of time for something that you might not care all that much about. I would be pretty interested though in hearing from someone who hasn't seen the movies and decides to do it all by in-universe chronology. I don't know anyone who's done that so hearing about that perspective would be interesting to say the least.

There's also the option to not bother with the prequels. Lots of people consider them the black sheep of the franchise. Personally I think they're important enough if you want to see Rogue One (not necessary, but it gives you some context) and you'd have to see them if you wanted to watch The Clone Wars of course.

Of course you could always start with whatever seems most interesting to you. Personally I'd recommend that you at least start at the "beginning" of a trilogy: The Phantom Menace, A New Hope, or The Force Awakens. You'd be kinda lost otherwise.

Years
  • Spoiler:

I want to get into this series but have no idea where to start.

Watch the films in the order of their theatrical release imo, 4-5-6-1-2-3-7. It will still make perfect sense in that order and you're more likely to enjoy the series if you open with 4 rather than 1.

Personally I haven't watched any of the animated stuff and I don't think I would enjoy it based upon what I know so far.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Of course you could always start with whatever seems most interesting to you. Personally I'd recommend that you at least start at the "beginning" of a trilogy: The Phantom Menace, A New Hope, or The Force Awakens. You'd be kinda lost otherwise.

What are your thoughts on "Machete Order"?

Simple, watch them in this order: IV, V, II, III, VI. You may notice Episode I is gone. I'll get to that in a second.

http://www.nomachetejuggling.com/2011/11/11/the-star-wars-saga-suggested-viewing-order/

Years

• The guy puts forward a good argument and I think it could work. I personally see a few potential flaws in you following that order which he doesn't mention 1) If you read the full article, you've spoiled all the twists which is his strongest reasoning for his re-ordering. 2) You miss out on some of the fan culture by not watching The Phantom Menace. Whilst its far from the best film, if you're having a general conversation with someone about Star Wars then it probably helps to know who Jar-Jar and some of the minor characters are.

I have a third reason, but it's a spoiler itself so I'll leave it in case you didn't read the article.

Ultimately I think you'll probably be able to enjoy the films in any order providing that you start with IV, so the Machete order has a lot of merit. I'd say go for it then watch The Phantom Menace afterwards at some stage.

Years

• It's not a bad idea necessarily. It comes from a viewpoint that certain themes/plot points are central to the movies and this order revolves around that and, I mean, I can't disagree that they are central themes or anything, but they're not the thing that really draws me in to the story. So I guess I'm saying that it kind of funnels you into viewing the movies in a certain way that you (or me) might not come to on your own.

But if you're just interested in having a good movie experience and not to get into the fandom then it's not a bad way.

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I don't really care about Star Wars, but saw this yesterday and had the same reaction as I have to all of the other ones: "that was pretty fun".

Nuanced, I know.

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    Spoiler:

Logan

[img]http://pldh.net/media/pokecons_action/403.gif
    Years
  • leia cgi was so cringe lmao

think felicity jones is a top actress though and really enjoyed her

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    My god I loved this movie. Didn't really have too high of hopes going into it because all of the trailers I'd seen just had so much hype and I thought the story was going to be too rushed. Not going to give anything away but the film starts off slow and the last hour kicks your ass. I'd watch it again; I've only seen about 20 movies of 2016 because I've been so busy with school but I'd definitely rank this in my top 5.

Years
  • Just saw it with my family awhile ago today. They liked it, but not myself. I am disappointed & bored by it. I was falling asleep in the theater when watching it. Not kidding. Not trying to be mean. I just didn't like it. Sorry. No offense.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • Rouge One in a nutshell:

Spoiler:

Just like the 2014 Godzilla film, Gareth Edward has directed a movie that split the fanbase. As an example, here are two different reviews of the film I've seen that conflict each other (both non-spoiler and spoiler talk). Having to see it myself on its first day, I will say, pacing issues and character juggling aside, it's currently the best prequel in the series for being a standalone film at its own right while tying up a few plot threads from the original Star Wars movie.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    i legitimately enjoyed the film, although i felt that the main characters were a bit... lacking in one way or another

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • i legitimately enjoyed the film, although i felt that the main characters were a bit... lacking in one way or another

Probably part of this was because...
    Spoiler:

Purist of Black Water

[b]The way we were...[/b]
    Years
  • I was thinking at first. It'd be as bland and uninspired as the force awakens...
    (I just think that movie is way below average)

I was lucky it was a gift from family to see.
    I wouldn't dare waste money on seeing it...

Anyways... Rouge one was great in a lot of ways.
    The dogfights in the x-wings, tie fighters were always a joy to watch.

It was surprisingly funny in a lot of parts too.
    The most satisfying scene in the entire movie imo was

Spoiler:

And not having seen Felicity Jones act in anything else, other than this film.
    I was pleased with her conviction and final result.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Spoiler:

Back