• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Favorite Pokemon Strategies

Years
    • Seen Jun 16, 2021
    What are some of your personal favorite battle strats? Whether its using your favorite pokemon or a rarely seen move, let me know! I'm interested in hearing peoples ideas!

Years
    • Online now
    I liked using cofagrigus to give the opponent mummy, then I send out slaking. If they use a contact move it removes truant.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • tbh i don't think there's any one strategy i love. this is vague but i like having to use what's at my disposal. i play without using items in battle and especially early on in the game, you kind of have to rely on moves you might normally not, whether that be stalling with sand-attack and tail whip or using acid armor at the start of the fight and it's risky, but it ends up saving your ass later.

Setsuna

♡ Setsuna Scarlet Storm!!
    Years
  • I'm filthy and enjoy tox-stalling. In singleplayer battles. I used a Bronzong in Platinum and a Bastiodon in Ultra Moon and it was kinda all I used them for, and they both ended up levels higher than the rest of my team.

I had a Showdown random battle where I voluntarily let my opponent raise their stats, then sent out Marshadow and used Spectral Thief which forced them to concede. Really gimmicky moves where you turn the opponent's stat changes against them, such as Spectral Thief or Topsy-Turvy, have always seemed like a lot of fun to me.

Years
  • I almost always put mons with intimidate as the first in my party if I have one I'm training, since I almost always love that attack drop. And more recently, wide guard usage in dynamax adventures against relevant opponents. :D

Years
  • recently it's abusing fakeout since i got a purugly on my current team. super helpful to disable sturdy.

aside from that, confuse ray + air slash flinch hax from my crobat is another cheap tactic i always use lol

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Curse + Payback/Avalanche + Recover/Leftovers

Wide Lens + High Jump Kick, Rock Slide, etc.

Light Clay + Light Screen/Reflect

Scope Lens + Super Luck or Sniper + Night Slash

I never played competitive so never had to bother with double battle strats. The in-game also basically punishes defensive style so things like Toxic/Will-o-Wisp stalling are virtually pointless and tedious to use, and any major trainer opponent will just Full Restore and ruin strats like that anyway.

Setsuna

Years
  • Scope Lens + Super Luck or Sniper + Night Slash

Scope Lens + Super Luck is honestly something I've always wanted to do, it seems so fun but I don't know the exact numbers on how it stacks. Would anyone happen to know the crit rate of using this?

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Scope Lens + Super Luck is honestly something I've always wanted to do, it seems so fun but I don't know the exact numbers on how it stacks. Would anyone happen to know the crit rate of using this?

I had it on a Honchkrow, from Gen 6 onwards it's 50% critical chance, 100% for high critical ratio moves like Night Slash. In older gens chances are lower but criticals hit harder.

Setsuna

Years
  • I had it on a Honchkrow, from Gen 6 onwards it's 50% critical chance, 100% for high critical ratio moves like Night Slash. In older gens chances are lower but criticals hit harder.
    Oh that is a thing of beauty. Thank you, I'll have to play around with it.~

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Oh that is a thing of beauty. Thank you, I'll have to play around with it.~
    yeah the super-luck scope lens combo is very fun, instead of a high crit move I setup to use multi-hit with murkrow.
    When you get lucky and pull multiple crits out of it, the damage is massive, but it can backfire.

I setup on a sudowoodo that just happened to have rattled, and I had to watch in growing fear as its speed just kept going higher with each hit.
    That's the stuff o-nightmares, a bulky rock-type that can somehow out-speed an archanine. o_o

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    In Blaze black nidoran m can learn lovely kiss to put enemies to sleep, so I gave him a wide-lens so it never misses and now I have a speed tank nidoking going around giving everyone goodnight kisses XD

Then for further insult in trainer battles I follow up with double toxic spikes. When i get my venoshock croagunk ready he'll really clean up. :)

Squirtlenator

[color=#cecfc4]Hasta La Vista, Baby[/color]
    Years
  • leech seed + toxic staus + protect/substitute + leftovers/black sludge/other self healing item/big root maybe even ingrain too if you want

poison heal ability w/ toxic orb + toxic status + protect + substitute + roost

swagger/flatter + psych up

curse + gyro ball

defense curl + rollout/ice ball

thrash/outrage/petal dance + own tempo/Persim Berry

hustle + hone claws or hustle + move that can't miss

Years
    • Seen Nov 9, 2023
    Tried showdown the other day, setup with perma flinch and stealth rock blissey.

onix with weakarmor setup to bait and force switches with dragon tail and roar. If he got fast enough, he could keep damage switching and no one would be able to attack.

poison touch croagunk, setup with a 2 hit move, and superfang. cutting half their hp and poisoning them at the same time was such a trip.

death seeker gengar. :) cursebody for disable , also the move disable to try to force them into struggle. Focus sash destiny bond and for the extra troll, the last move was explosion.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I like to use the lowest-level Pokemon first before I switch over to higher-level Pokemon, that way the lower-leveled Pokemon can at least get some EXP. Easier to grind rather than actually having to grind for EXP.

I also like to use a lot of defense-lowering moves such as Rock Smash and Acid.

Back