• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

PokeBud

Pokemon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2010
Wow thanks Poccil, It works Yay without a error. Now I have 3 Hero's but I want 4 so I have to make that ^^ Realy Realy Tanks

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
I want to resize the game screen to something bigger (either the maximum RPG Maker XP will allow - 640x480 - or something even bigger, if it's possible).

How would I go about doing this?

Changing the values on lines 11 and 12 of the script SpriteResizer to 640x480 gets me the attached picture. The viewable area is the right size, but there's the extra black bottom and edge, and the stripy border. There are also some tiles that appear in the black area - they are tiles set to appear above the player (but if the window is resized properly, then there's no problem, because they'll be outside the window).

Ignore the imperfect join between two maps near the top.

EDIT: Just as an observation, funnily enough, not all the tiles set to appear above the player actually appear in the black parts. It seems only the ones from roughly the top quarter of each map do this. Any lower will behave just fine.
Can someone help me with this, please?

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Thanks!

I have no idea why the error message came up.

I showed my friend the scripts a few hours before the problem but, did not make any changes. For those few hours before the problem the game worked fine.

By the way, will deleting messages.dat cause any side affects.

Last edited:

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
@Maruno: Just attempted resizing to 640 x 480 in the latest version and encountered zero problems. If you aren't using it already, I'd suggest updating using the method found in notes.html.

Atomic Reactor

when adding a pokemon to your team through the pbAddPokemon script, is there a way to specify what moves it has so its not like all the other pokemon of that species?

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
@Atomic_Reactor: As far as I know, there isn't a proper way to do it, but you could always use this:

Code:
@>Conditional Branch: Script: $Trainer.party.length>=6
  @>Text: You have no room to store the Pokemon...
  @>
 : Else
  @>Script: Kernel.pbAddPokemon(
   :      :   PBSpecies::DRATINI,10
   :      : )
  @>Script: # Get the Pokemon just added
   :      :   p=$Trainer.party[$Trainer.party.length-1]
   :      :   # Teach the Pokemon a move, TM-style
   :      :   pbLearnMove(p,TACKLE,true)
   :      : )
  @>
 : Branch End
@>

What this should do is, immediately after you are given the Pokemon (presuming you have the space for it in your party), you get the prompt "DRATINI wants to learn the move TACKLE". It's not great, I'm not even sure if it works and I don't think you can do it with more then one move, but give it a go.

Years
  • Seen Aug 10, 2015
Atomic_Reactor:

To add to the suggestion of Mrchewy, there is a function in Pokemon Essentials called "pbAutoLearnMove", which does the same thing as "pbLearnMove", only silently. Replace the call to pbLearnMove in the post above with the following:
Code:
pbAutoLearnMove(p,PBMoves::TACKLE)
I hope this helps.

PokeBud

Pokemon Hacker
Years
  • Seen Feb 27, 2010
This time I want to make a Rival But I don't understand how to do it.
I've looked into the Notes.HTML But I don't understand that. So I hope one of you could help me. And could you make more Rivals. So you can choose which Rival you want.

EDIT: Oh uhh Another quetion to how could you make that the Rival Uhh. You choose Turtwig Rival choose Chimchar
That system how to maken that

Maruno

Years
@Maruno: Just attempted resizing to 640 x 480 in the latest version and encountered zero problems. If you aren't using it already, I'd suggest updating using the method found in notes.html.
I solved my problem by thinking about it a little more. My problem arose because I had saved the game (while playtesting, obviously) at the maximum resolution (i.e. 480x320 plus a border that pads it to 640x480). Saving it to a lower resolution, then retesting the game makes it work properly. It doesn't work for higher resolutions like 800x600 (and it severely slows the game down if I try), so I suppose I'll just have to be happy with this.

Now I'll have a look into disabling some of the options, so that people can't mess around with the resolution (and other things I'd like to keep fixed).

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Sep 7, 2023
I solved my problem by thinking about it a little more. My problem arose because I had saved the game (while playtesting, obviously) at the maximum resolution (i.e. 480x320 plus a border that pads it to 640x480). Saving it to a lower resolution, then retesting the game makes it work properly. It doesn't work for higher resolutions like 800x600 (and it severely slows the game down if I try), so I suppose I'll just have to be happy with this.

Now I'll have a look into disabling some of the options, so that people can't mess around with the resolution (and other things I'd like to keep fixed).

By the way, the RGSS Plane class is capped at 640x480 as well. That could be another reason why it doesn't work. It's a shame, really; I'd like to be able to add more resolutions to my own game...

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
Years
640 x 480 is by far big enough for anything, really. Any higher and you'll be looking at nothing but a pixelated mess.

Well really, 640 x 480 is big enough for anything. Any higher and it'll be too pixelated anyway.

Atomic_Reactor:

To add to the suggestion of Mrchewy, there is a function in Pokemon Essentials called "pbAutoLearnMove", which does the same thing as "pbLearnMove", only silently. Replace the call to pbLearnMove in the post above with the following:
Code:
pbAutoLearnMove(p,PBMoves::TACKLE)
I hope this helps.

I knew I got the syntax wrong. At least I was close ^^. And I never knew about that function either; should actually prove useful.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
640 x 480 is by far big enough for anything, really. Any higher and you'll be looking at nothing but a pixelated mess.

Well really, 640 x 480 is big enough for anything. Any higher and it'll be too pixelated anyway.
Not necessarily. You could either keep the same viewing area but expand it, or keep the same resolution and be able to see more of your surroundings.

I was having a look at the Options, and I've noticed something odd. There are two kinds of frames, right? Frames and Speech Frames. The former goes around menu boxes, while the latter goes around the big speech boxes that appear at the bottom.

There are graphics for each of these, located in Graphics/Windowskins. The Frames graphics are called "skin1.png" to "skin28.png", and the Speech Frames are called "textbox0.png" to "textbox19.png". At least, that's what exists in that folder (plus a few more graphics).

In reality, the game assigns "skin1" to "skin28" AND "textbox0" to "textbox4" to Frames (33 options in total), and the Speech Frames option (24 options) is redundant - any change made to it is not saved, and text boxes use "frlgtextskin.png" regardless of what you try to do.

So there's the problem. The window borders aren't being assigned properly, leading to some graphics files that aren't being used and one option that is meaningless (the Speech Frame option).

I may not be an expert at Ruby, but I suspect the bit of script that makes the Speech Frame option redundant appears at lines 231-233 in PokemonOption. Well, that and/or SpriteWindow, around line 89.

Any chance this is going to be fixed?

Years
  • Seen May 20, 2011
This time I want to make a Rival But I don't understand how to do it.
I've looked into the Notes.HTML But I don't understand that. So I hope one of you could help me. And could you make more Rivals. So you can choose which Rival you want.

EDIT: Oh uhh Another quetion to how could you make that the Rival Uhh. You choose Turtwig Rival choose Chimchar
That system how to maken that

I don't know exactly what you're talking about with Rivals, but I can help with the second question. Just use conditional branches and switches in an event, something like:

Code:
Conditional Branch - Switch: Player Chose Chimchar = On

-(Movement for Rival to move to Piplup's Pokeball, text, ect)
-(Switch to activate a trainer with Piplup to battle you)

Else

Conditional Branch - Switch: Player Chose Piplup = On

-(Movement for Rival to move to Turtwig's Pokeball, text, ect)
-(Switch to activate a trainer with Turtwig to battle you)

Else

Conditional Branch - Switch: Player Chose Turtwig = On

-(Movement for Rival to move to Chimchar's Pokeball, text, ect)
-(Switch to activate a trainer with Chimchar to battle you)

And, uhm, I have a question too. I've been tinkering with dependent events and managed to get a Pikachu to follow me. The only problem is that it sticks around when I deposit it. Is there a way I can run a box check to make sure that when the Pikachu is in a box, then there is no Pikachu (or changes the event's sprite set?)

I've tried messing with some conditional branches, but nothing I seem to do works. Is there some simple oversight I've made? Thanks ahead of time. =D

~JV~

Dev of Pokémon Uranium
Years
@TCKaos:

That shouldnt be hard, make a common event exactly like that:

2zyhcgk.png

Now make that to the pikachu following event works, the switch "Pikachu on party" must be on. Also, dont forget to activate the pikachu check switch at the start of the game so the common event start working.

Years
  • Seen Sep 11, 2013
Please help!

1. Does anyone know of a working traddeing feature?

2. Is there a way to make patches for the game or upload a game save to a newer version (like a special event pokemon)?

3. Does anyone know how to make a mystery gift?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back