• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Coder's Lounge

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
I'm still trying to wrap my head around understanding x86 assembly right now. There's so much going on in even the most simple of programs, and even with the libraries that we have you have to be mindful of everything because it's not hard to overflow a register with a value by accident or accidentally processing garbage data.
So you're working with x86 assembly right now? Dunno much about stuff like that. Anything assembler and registers is way over my head (still remember all the trouble I had in university when we had to deal with that stuff).

What I kinda don't like about Delphi is their weird indexing convention. Like, there's literally some types that you need to start by element 1 whereas others start with the 0 index which is pretty much the standard on every other language I used before. And I always find myself in the situation of asking myself if I even used the right one. {XD}

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Feb 9, 2024
I wish I knew and understood more. I just have very basic HTML and CSS. I always say I know enough to have my own site before WordPress...lol. I couldn't write my own stuff but I could take a template and modify it to what I needed.

Years
So, I've started working on a project and in theory the only work with code I should need to do is copying code for macros that other people have posted up and then changing values to make it do what I want. That's basically the extent of my coding ability outside the worlds most limited CSS/HTML knowledge.

Which leaves me with a problem when this happens
j64Ek7c.png

Can someone translate that to English and tell me what it means so I can work out what I need to change to make it work?

If it helps this is using javascript.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 6, 2024
Hi all! I was referred to this thread by Team Fail himself on Discord :D

Now, I'm mostly an artist though but living in San Francisco for years made me seep into this coding thing. Although I 'began' coding like way back in middle school with BASIC and Visual Basic as well as a little (very little that it's very insignificant) Python v.1, Flash, and HTML at a vocational school, these didn't really teach me anything.

It wasn't until as recent as 2014 that circumstances forced me to learn PHP, HTML, and CSS partly kicking and screaming. 2015 was a vacuum year in coding as well since I really focused on art a lot more. It wasn't until the beginning of 2016 where I finally met a coding buddy and my proficiency shot to the moon.

tl;dr, I'm pretty much a noob and coding isn't really my 'main' thing but I am actively learning. I am proficient in PHP (although I'm avoiding it like a plague now), HTML/CSS, Javascript (JQuery, Vue.js, React, and node). I'm currently waist-deep in Go that it's pretty much my primary language. Also have worked in VB, Python, Ruby, Flash but nothing significant.

Years
Hi all! I was referred to this thread by Team Fail himself on Discord :D

Now, I'm mostly an artist though but living in San Francisco for years made me seep into this coding thing. Although I 'began' coding like way back in middle school with BASIC and Visual Basic as well as a little (very little that it's very insignificant) Python v.1, Flash, and HTML at a vocational school, these didn't really teach me anything.

It wasn't until as recent as 2014 that circumstances forced me to learn PHP, HTML, and CSS partly kicking and screaming. 2015 was a vacuum year in coding as well since I really focused on art a lot more. It wasn't until the beginning of 2016 where I finally met a coding buddy and my proficiency shot to the moon.

tl;dr, I'm pretty much a noob and coding isn't really my 'main' thing but I am actively learning. I am proficient in PHP (although I'm avoiding it like a plague now), HTML/CSS, Javascript (JQuery, Vue.js, React, and node). I'm currently waist-deep in Go that it's pretty much my primary language. Also have worked in VB, Python, Ruby, Flash but nothing significant.
Hey there, glad to see he directed you this way :)

I'm somewhat proficient in PHP; I coded a whole web application in PHP almost from scratch as my first dive into programming. Although I don't touch PHP anymore, I'd love to become more proficient.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 6, 2024
Hey there, glad to see he directed you this way :)

I'm somewhat proficient in PHP; I coded a whole web application in PHP almost from scratch as my first dive into programming. Although I don't touch PHP anymore, I'd love to become more proficient.

I maintain a web application in PHP that someone wrote. I've never written anything from scratch but when I learned Laravel earlier this year, I pretty much got PHP when I managed to clone the application to an extent. In my honest opinion, PHP shouldn't really be used for a complex project anymore because as they say, it's a double-clawed hammer.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
Years
  • Age 20
  • Seen Nov 12, 2021
Hi all, I think this is the right place for me to ask this question. ^^

I am interested in learning some more programming. Everyone in my family is an engineer (even my mom programmed in college she told me hahaha), and while I have no interest in engineering or computer science in general, programming looks very interesting. Currently I know a little bit of Bash and Python that my brothers and my dad taught me, and while I can't do big things, I can do small things that help me a little bit to keep my files organized. For example, I take a lot of screenshots of the anime I watch on VLC and the file names contain the name of the anime, so I have a script that will put the screenshots in folders with the anime name that runs every 5 minutes, and things like that.

But I'd like to go beyond that and write better things for myself. For example, my brothers helped me write a script that checks when a new episode of an anime I'm watching is available and sends a notification to my phone (with an app called Pushover). They did the heavy work of actually checking for episodes and I just wrote the notification script. I want to write things like that to, um, automate my life a little ^-^.

So my question is, is there any book or anything I can read and practice to write that kind of tools? My interest in programming is mostly to automate things for myself. I am not too interested in writing web sites or desktop applications or fancy things like that, at least right now when I want to spend most of my time practicing music.

I have googled a little bit and people always recommend me to learn Java. I have looked into it and tried to follow a few tutorials but it looks like people use it for big stuff like app development and at least right now that kind of thing goes over my head. My brothers recommended me to either learn Swift or improve on Python. I know Swift is also used for big stuff but my brothers showed me that a lot of the stuff I do with Bash can be done with Swift, but with a few more lines of code.

I guess the first thing I want to do is to write my very own anime episodes checker without my brothers help. What would you do? Would you pick an new language like Swift or should I just stick with Python for this? My brother, who is very skilled with programming and has participated in many programming contests and has published some apps on both stores, told me that even he wouldn't try to do write that entire program on Bash so I guess that one is out of the question for this specific script hahaha.

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Python is pretty beginner-friendly while still providing a lot of functionality that allows even high level programming. Sticking to it is definitely a good choice. Bash on the other hand isn't a programming language per se, because it just strings programms together to accomplish whatever needs to be done.

If you don't want to go deeply into programming, then languages like Java might not be worth your while, because they usually require a lot more research and practice, especially when you're new to their concepts (object oriented programming, etc.).

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Feb 16, 2020

I am interested in learning some more programming. Everyone in my family is an engineer (even my mom programmed in college she told me hahaha), and while I have no interest in engineering or computer science in general, programming looks very interesting. Currently I know a little bit of Bash and Python that my brothers and my dad taught me, and while I can't do big things, I can do small things that help me a little bit to keep my files organized. For example, I take a lot of screenshots of the anime I watch on VLC and the file names contain the name of the anime, so I have a script that will put the screenshots in folders with the anime name that runs every 5 minutes, and things like that.

But I'd like to go beyond that and write better things for myself. For example, my brothers helped me write a script that checks when a new episode of an anime I'm watching is available and sends a notification to my phone (with an app called Pushover). They did the heavy work of actually checking for episodes and I just wrote the notification script. I want to write things like that to, um, automate my life a little ^-^.

So my question is, is there any book or anything I can read and practice to write that kind of tools? My interest in programming is mostly to automate things for myself. I am not too interested in writing web sites or desktop applications or fancy things like that, at least right now when I want to spend most of my time practicing music.

I have googled a little bit and people always recommend me to learn Java. I have looked into it and tried to follow a few tutorials but it looks like people use it for big stuff like app development and at least right now that kind of thing goes over my head. My brothers recommended me to either learn Swift or improve on Python. I know Swift is also used for big stuff but my brothers showed me that a lot of the stuff I do with Bash can be done with Swift, but with a few more lines of code.

I guess the first thing I want to do is to write my very own anime episodes checker without my brothers help. What would you do? Would you pick an new language like Swift or should I just stick with Python for this? My brother, who is very skilled with programming and has participated in many programming contests and has published some apps on both stores, told me that even he wouldn't try to do write that entire program on Bash so I guess that one is out of the question for this specific script hahaha.

If you have an iPad, Swift Playgrounds is a great start to learn the foundations of code. Whether it's Swift or Python or (contrary to some statements here) even Java, it doesn't really matter which one of those you learn first. If you're thinking of making a career out of this, you're likely to have to learn another language at least once anyways—all that matters is how well you can transition from one language to another.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
Is there a "C++ for C programmers" guide anywhere? I'm a C programmer, but I'd like to write a program that uses a specific library that's C++ only. Any help?

Years
Is there a "C++ for C programmers" guide anywhere? I'm a C programmer, but I'd like to write a program that uses a specific library that's C++ only. Any help?
This probably isn't any help directly, but I'm sure a Google search could turn up what you're looking for, especially if you specify which library you're using or need to use in your query.

After a Google search for what you have in quotes up there, I found this. Not sure if it's what you're looking for, but it's something:
http://www.embedded.com/design/prog...tools/4424383/A-guide-to-C--for-C-programmers

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
Hi all - Tsutarja kindly pointed me over here so I thought I'd pop in and introduce myself.

I'm currently still completing my degree and working for the Australian Public Service. I mostly work with Java, Javascript, SQL, HTML, CSS, and PHP. I've also dabbled ever so slightly in mobile development with Java for Android and Swift for iOS.

I have a corporate account with pluralsight.com who recently aquired codeschool.com, so I've been enjoying going through some of the courses on the latter in between university and work commitments.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
I follow a youtuber who works for pluralsight, his channel's called 'Simple Programmer'. Can't remember his name, but he's a super cool guy and has a lot of interesting videos.

I just went to check him out, his voice sounds really familiar! According to his About section he's an author on Pluralsight, so maybe I've listened to one of his courses before.

His youtube vids look pretty cool though, I'll have to watch some :)

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
Hi! I may pop by here more since I've been programming a ton lately. My favorite languages are Ruby and Python - I used Ruby for my fangame and tend to use Python for random projects - though mostly lately I've been doing coding the PC Discord bot, which runs in JavaScript. I'd also like to check out PHP sometime in the future!

Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Is anyone of you adhering to certain standards when working on your projects? I'm also curious if there's people who like to use some of the more arcane features that a lot of programming languages feature.

M.E.R.255

Merry of all traits ;P
Years
Hey, can I annoy any of you guys with my excessive dialouge by joining into the conversation? =P
Don't worry. I'll leave suggestions in suggestion section, so there won't be any of it here. ;D

Well, since we're just talking, has this ever happened to you?
"Dum bi dum bi dum! Ooh! I just had a genius idea! OoO People keep seeking out for the admin folder and try getting into it, but what if they couldn't find it because it would use special character's they'd never expect? OuO Yeah! Genius! I'll just name admin to... "@™¡ñ"
*a day later*
"Alright! Let's try adding some files to my... @ folder? Hey wait a minute! What happened to the name? O_O Oh well, maybe FileZilla is glitched. =P"
*tries to access it*
"Huh? Won't work? Okay...? Well, maybe I'll just rename or delete it. ^^"
*won't let me*
"Oh oh... Uh... um... s-surely the hosting site's file management can delete that! =O"
*goes into the actual hosting site's file managements, also doesn't work*
"Welp! I'm screwed!"
*researches a freaking day in Google to find a way to fix my issue*
"Finally! It's fixed! =D"

And here's what you need to do if you screw up like I did and didn't know you could mostly ONLY use ASCII (or ISO-8859-1, if you prefer me saying that) characters and not ANSI...
  1. (may differ on each FTP program, I use FileZilla) right-click on the commands on top
  2. hit Enter custom command
  3. enter RNFR "@™¡ñ" (ReName FRom the file name you initially called that folder)
  4. which should then display "Response: 350 RNFR accepted - file exists, ready for destination"
  5. then repeat the process but this time instead write RNTO somethingelse (ReName TO the new name for the folder ;D)
  6. and you should now have the folder renamed to somethingelse, allowing you to modify and delete it again. ^^
For some FTP you have to use ftp> RNFR and ftp>RNTO instead.

If you have to know what I'm good/okay at, I do HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and some PHP as well as MySQL (but also a bit of AJAX) and was into doing XHTML for quite a while. ^^ Though HTML5 and CSS3 have some pretty neat features which I've been looking into. =) I use Notepad++ and enter my code from scratch, just to make me memorize it better. ^^ But I do look at plenty of websites to research for more codes or how to make mine faster, like to get the most out of FOR loops and whatever. =)

Only thing I can't stand is SVG for how long it takes to just make a shape you can easily draw (say... Pikachu's head with ears). >_> Inkscape just showered the image with excess KB of coding that are way too precise (who's ever heard of a 0.0001 pixel?)

So am I allowed to talk here? 'u' I promise to behave. ^-^ ♥ *tries being cute, probably fails miserably*

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen today
Going to be so happy when we finally ditch Delphi 7. Stupid outdated release with a stupid buggy IDE and the more addons I force upon it, the more terrible it turns. And then it doesn't even have a way to force vim keybindings into the editor, let alone use an alternative editor altogether.

*The ramblings of someone who uses Windows/Delphi at work and Linux/C++ at home*

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
Years
Been thrown headfirst in the lovely world of setting up web servers. 'Course now's the time I have to do this, by myself, when I haven't touched a Linux installation in about 3 years. Been quite a trip, trying to remember everything. Got there in the end, though. o/

Back