• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Regional Dex

Years
  • What are your hopes for the new regional Pokedex? Are you hoping for a mixed-gen Pokedex (with both new and old Pokemon) or a new-Pokemon only Pokedex like in Black & White?

pkmin3033

One of the primary reasons Black and White were so damned off-putting was because of the abysmal lack of choice in Pokemon; it was Gen V or nothing, and I was one of those people who didn't like a lot of Gen V's designs. I would much rather have a nice, healthy mix of Pokemon from all generations, maybe split off into segments again in the same way Kalos' Pokedex was. A mix of old and new is best in my opinion: that way you've got new Pokemon you can use if you want to but you can always fall back on your favourites if nothing appeals to you. It sucks playing a game with Pokemon you don't like.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I'd actually prefer the mixed-gen Pokedex for a good variety of old and new. Even if Sun and Moon introduced 300+ new Pokemon I'd still prefer the mixed-gen because it's better to mix the new Pokemon around with the old ones you've known before.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Aug 21, 2021
    I was perfectly fine with only being able to use generation 5 Pokemon. It brought something different to the table.

Although having said that I did like a lot of the 5th gen designs so that might be why it went over so well with me.

I think I'd still prefer the variety Pokemon X & Y brought to the table over it though. The more the merrier I say.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I like the regional dex to include an equal amount of all 18 types, so gym leaders and Elite Four members won't have to suffer from using Pokémon from the same family line and Pokémon not associated with their mono-type team.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Even though I tend to stick to using Pokemon from a certain generation when playing new games, it's always good to have a variety of different Pokemon from different Regions. Black 2 and White 2 had it balanced perfectly, so something like that would be great.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • I like to play with new Pokemon when a new game comes out. But it's true that I like to choose "old" Pokemon when I re-do the game.
    So I guess I have mix feelings about it :P

Years
  • I wouldn't mind seeing a mixed group of old and new Pokemon, but I'd like not to see the really common ones that have been around in every region's dex like Tentacool, Zubat, and Pikachu. Maybe one that only had 'mons from Gen V onward? As long as there are a lot of new Pokemon I really won't mind either way. I just don't want to spend a most of the game catching Pokemon I've already seen before.

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
  • All I care about is that we have most types of pokemon available early on:say
    PRE FIRST GYM
    Grass
    Fire
    Water
    Normal
    Flying
    Bug
    Ground

PRE SECOND GYM
    Electric
    Rock
    Fighting
    Psychic
    Dark

PRE THIRD GYM
    Ice
    Poison
    Fairy

PRE FOURTH GYM
    Ghost
    Steel

PRE SIXTH GYM
    Dragon

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'd like a mix of old and new Pokemon. To be honest, I'm one of the people who loved Gen 5 for forcing me to use all brand new Pokemon, but I know a lot of people lost interest because of that. So a good balance would be nice, but with emphasis on the newer Pokemon, maybe at least in the beginning of the game so I don't feel obliged to lock in with a boring old Pokemon just because I've already been training one so long. :3

Mostly though I think it's maybe likely that Cherubi/Cherrim could be Pokemon Sun exclusives and it would be exciting to legitimately get them in a game's early game again. 💕

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
  • I'd like a mix of old and new Pokemon. To be honest, I'm one of the people who loved Gen 5 for forcing me to use all brand new Pokemon, but I know a lot of people lost interest because of that. So a good balance would be nice, but with emphasis on the newer Pokemon, maybe at least in the beginning of the game so I don't feel obliged to lock in with a boring old Pokemon just because I've already been training one so long. :3

Mostly though I think it's maybe likely that Cherubi/Cherrim could be Pokemon Sun exclusives and it would be exciting to legitimately get them in a game's early game again. 💕

I agree with this post; I must be one of the handful here who liked Gen 5 for this reason too hahahaha.

Depending on how many new Pokemon we will get to warrant having a Regional Dex the size of Hoenn or Unova's (X&Y's, while helpful with the variety to species to be found, kinda also hampered the debuting Pokemon in my opinion as well, since there were so little compared to previous) would be my ideal Dex.

Arma

The Hyena
    Years
  • All I care about is that we have most types of pokemon available early on:say
    Spoiler:
    Hmm, yeah I agree that you should get access to all types fairly early in the game, though that isn't really that much of an issue, considering the wifi trades available. Even so, I mostly agree with your list, except for one thing: Poison. Poison has always been available quite early in the game.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I hope they make it smaller than the Kalos dex, or at least not flood it with so many old mons compared to 2. I'll like something similar to the Johto (HgSs) or Sinnoh (Pt) dexes.

Years
  • I hope they make it smaller than the Kalos dex, or at least not flood it with so many old mons compared to 2. I'll like something similar to the Johto (HgSs) or Sinnoh (Pt) dexes.

This was what I enjoyed about XY's Dex, because it showed three different parts to the Kalos region. I hope the new region brings different Pokedex lists for different parts of the region as well.

Thepowaofhax

Spectre
    Years
    • Seen May 29, 2017
    I want a mixed pokedex tbh, it brings more variety. Just don't give me D/P, I want it like X/Y but with more new Pokemon.

I did like Gen 5's original approach, but it wasn't that interesting and it forced you to get Pokemon outside the regional dex by the Dream World.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    I have a feeling that in this 'region' we will only have Kalos' + this region's new native Pokemon. Then in post-game we'd visit Kalos and we'd complete the new story there, with all Pokemon from previous generations. :)

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I would really rather have it not be another BW1 and allow some oldies here and there. I mean, I'm not entirely against the idea of only new mons but I'd rather have variety.

Back