• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Will you buy a physical copy or a digital copy of Sword & Shield?

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I'm leaning towards physical personally, only because some places are offering $10 off.. But I think digital is kinda the way to do nowadays. Thoughts?

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • I've always been a fan of physical because if the hardware(aka Switch) were to fail, you'd have to transfer the game data to the new machine. Having a physical copy removes the need to do that. Granted one would have to dedicate living space to the physical copy but I don't buy many games to begin with. I'm waiting on Nintendo to drop the price to see if I can't save a bit of $$$.

Years
    • Seen Aug 16, 2022
    Defs physical. I work on Friday's which is when Nintendo games usually release now, so hopefully I can still get a copy once I get out of work in the evening. Don't really want to order online or buy digital, so hopefully I can get someone from my family to grab me a copy!

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Physical. Already been working on paying my preorders off for a while now. I don't do digital unless i cant get a physical copy of the game and that'll stay that way until i am completely forced into digital.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    I'll always try to go for a physical copy when I can! It's fun to collect the boxes; I've bought some second-hand just to have the proper actual games available and not just a download on my account :3

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Comes down to opportunity, like availability in stores here, the cost, and if there's a pre-order bonus or not. I do prefer physical but have gone digital a bunch of times, and have a large microSD card for my Switch for this purpose.

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
  • I'll probably just download it because switching cartridges on my Switch bothers me a lot, lol.

Plus, that means I get it almost a day early if I grab it with my main Nintendo account from the JP eShop. :sloheart:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I'll probably just download it because switching cartridges on my Switch bothers me a lot, lol.

Plus, that means I get it almost a day early if I grab it with my main Nintendo account from the JP eShop. :sloheart:
    Fair reasons - it is useful not having to switch (heh) the card around.

I have an Australian account so I could play really early compare to most of the world, legitimately. :V

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I might possibly go with physical because downloading from eShop might take quite a time if the games are having huge file size. Being able to see some nice boxarts is a nice bonus, too.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Most likely physical. I don't like the idea of buying main series Pokémon games digitally, that way even if my system breaks for whatever reason I'll still have the game cart itself (which I trust myself not to lose). Let's Go didn't support cloud save data backup as an anti-hack/clone measure which I assume will be the same for SwSh so if something does happen to my system that prevents me from doing a transfer I will lose my save data. Not exactly appealing. :<

Last edited:

Cid

Years
  • I've never bought a Pokémon game digitally. :o I like having a physical collection of Pokémon games, and I feel like it's easier to share games when you have physical copies of them.

Besides, if I end up buying Shield, I'd like to take a picture of myself using it as a shield. Haha

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • physical forever. slap a hashtag on that. pokemon is my fave series so i gotta get it in physical format for clout, i guess. as usual, i'll end up getting both, i'm sure.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Physical, all the way. Buying Pokemon games digitally just doesn't feel as nice as having a physical cartridge, you know? Digital purchases just don't sell the deal for me. Also, I'm not paying for Switch Online, tbh, lmfao.

Years
    • Age 23
    • She/Her
    • Canada
    • Seen Apr 15, 2024
    I didn't even know you could purchase a pokemon game digitally. I'm out of the loop! So naturally, I'd only purchase a physical copy of a game. Although, I need a Nintendo Switch first!

Last edited:
    Back