• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Do you feel the need to catch them all when playing?

HeroLinik

To this day, he still can't beat Air Man...
Years
  • When I usually play any game, I tend to scour the routes for Pokemon, and make an attempt to catch as many of them as possible, or all of them, even if I don't plan to use them in the future. That way, I ensure it's less strenuous when completing the Pokedex after the main game is done.

Do any of you feel the need to catch them all when just playing through the ingame?

Years
  • Yes but I haven't finished what I started. In my last Yellow playthrough I was catching everything that shows up and in my current Crystal playthrough I am doing the same. That said, I haven't even bothered to catch Mewtwo with a master ball yet.

Years
  • I catch as many Pokemon as I can that I come across in the wild but I don't bother on catching every single Pokemon.

ShyRayq

Unprofessional Unprofessional
    Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2024
    I prefer to start catching pokemon once I've beaten the Elite 4 when I have: a surplus of money for balls, all the hms+items needed to access every area, and maybe access to Smeargle or some other useful catching 'mon.

I do want to try doing this eventually, but not yet.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    past me yes. I had a habit of catching every new pokemon in sight but not going out of my way to catch them all. Most games i'd catch at least 1/3 of that regional dex. Now I'm lazy and don't care about catching things just to stuff them in a box for the rest of eternity. I only catch teammates and hm slaves mostly. I hate how in kanto they require you to catch a certain amount of pokemon to have access to things.

Years
    • Seen today
    I catch things if I feel like reading the dex entries.

If I'm rotating my team, I'm more likely to catch stuff.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Quality > quantity. There are playthroughs of Pokemon where I don't even catch a full team of six.

But there was one time I came SUPER close to completing the Pokedex. I was one Pokemon away in Pokemon White from SEEING all 649 Pokemon...all that was missing was Genesect. Wifi helped making completing the Pokedex that much easier! But for some reason, I was never able to obtain Genesect. I'm still kind mad about that.

I only have 571 obtained, but 648 SEEN. I might go back and evolve some of the Pokemon I'm missing if possible since I'm only missing evolutions and some Pokemon I couldn't pick like fossils. I could easily "catch" them all in my White verison since I have the means to do so....

Last edited:

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    No, not at all. I usually only catch what I plan on using. I do want to do a playthrough where I attempt to capture them all at some point though.

Cool_Porygon

Lurking in the shadows
    Years
  • It was my habit on the first playthrough of a new game to try and catch everything I could get on that version. It's too time-consuming to do that most of the time.

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Sometimes I do. Alpha Sapphire and Gen VII are some examples.

OK, it's become a habit.

Years
  • Nope, i've never been the type of player that catches 'em all, of course i was really doing it when i first beat red/blue, but i think is not something REAAAAAAALLY important to do, only on ocasions when i am bored of battling and want to complete the pokedex.
    But still, i think doing that makes the game too easy for me.

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
    Years
  • Yes, but only recently. As a kid I just caught what I wanted and didn't give a toss about the dex.

In fact, the only reason I caught pokemon as a kid outside the grouping I wanted was because the Professor's Aides gave me goodies.

Years
  • For the longest time, I never really felt the need to try and catch as many different Pokemon as possible- I usually knew the Pokemon that I wanted to use, and if something wasn't on my shortlist of things I wanted, I didn't bother with it. Ultra Moon was probably the first time I actually starting catching Pokemon just for the sake of filling up my Pokedex, but I didn't go out of my way to try and fill it up; if I just happened to come across a Pokemon I didn't have, I'd try to catch it, but not worry too much if I KOed it or something.

The only time I actually tried completing the Pokedex was in FireRed, and that was because I had already put so many hours into the game and didn't have much left to do, so I figured the least I could do would be to fill up the Kanto Dex.

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2019
    I used to when I was a kid, but I don't anymore. I don't have time for that nonsense lol. I do like completing the Pokedex in the postgame, though.

Years
  • Never. It felt like boring chore especially with some Pokémon blocked in the other game. I completed Pokédex only in Alpha Sapphire and Sun and getting some of the Pokémon was really boring. And I traded some of them only to get Pokédex entry and then traded them back. So it really didn't felt like I caught them.

Lysander

girl power ftw
    Years
  • Yes, I usually try to catch any Pokémon that I haven't caught on a specific file yet, even if I know I'm probably never going to use it for anything afterwards.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I think it depends on what kind of mood I'm in or what I feel like using at the time. I'll usually catch them and have them rot away in the PC. xD

Back