• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon is not only for kids

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
  • What it says. Although, it is targeted towards children. But realistically, it is more geared to be for all ages.

And there are many ways that the franchise isn't child friendly:

- Do you think a random person will know about things like IVs, EVs, nature, how physical and special moves work, etc., let alone a child?

- Many game's plots have dark undertones. Not extremely of course, but it is mostly hidden.

- Pokemon Adventures. I think everyone has talked about how dark the older generation's arcs were. But I can safely say some of the newer generation's arcs are just as much, no, actually even more dark. There is the gen5 arc. There is a part that looks like a rape scene (to me at least. I refuse to go more into that), unspeakable things happen to the characters, and overall it felt like they were trying way too hard to appeal to edgy teens.

- Many other Pokemon comics as well. In another series, there was actual blood, people being violently maimed by creatures, actual death, some reincarnation plot, and so on. Possibly because almost all the other comics that aren't Pokemon Adventures are insanely forgotten, so.

And, what do you guys think? Please keep things civil around here, let us not start a flame war because I hear topics like these are easy to do so.

And bear in mind: I'm personally fine with the franchise being family friendly, because between actual examples and stuff I mentioned above, this series being edgy sounds good on paper but horrendous in practice, because nobody would take it seriously. There are things that should probably stay as fanfiction.

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    I agree. I think it started out as something aimed at kids and then they took measures to keep it interesting to those same kids as they grew into adults over time while also always making sure to appeal to each new generation of kids.

pkmin3033

The target demographic for Pokemon is children, but that doesn't mean that the people who enjoy it are solely from that demographic, or that the material contained within it has to be restricted to that. There are some limitations to the content as defined by that demographic, of course, but those are ultimately superficial in nature and don't have to hinder creativity to the point that it can't be enjoyed by others. Plenty of kid's shows and films have jokes that only adults will appreciate, and whilst fandom is a toxic and cursed thing it can also be a wonderful platform for building ideas and theories if people can remember to be civil. You're free to like what you like, however you see fit, so the target demographic is immaterial as long as you enjoy it. It's for you if you decide it's for you.

Palamon

Silence is Purple
    Years
  • Yeah, of course it's not just for kids. It's rated E for everyone for a reason. It means anyone can play it, adult or child. It's made with children in mind, first, obviously, but Game Freak isn't alienating the adult fans.

I do agree that the math stuff with IVs and EVs is not kid friendly, because of the nature of all that stuff, but most kids probably only play Pokemon with their favorites and don't care about all the nitty gritty of "good natures" and the competitive side of all of it. Competitive Pokemon is definitely more leaned towards the adult side (and teenager side) of the Pokemon fandom.

also, Pokemon Reburst was a Pokemon manga geared towards an older Pokemon audience, too. But we don't talk about that weird ass pile of garbage. But that is the one, and only, Pokemon manga that was published in a weekly shonen magazine and not Coro Coro Comics. But it's weird and we don't talk about it. I'd prefer it didn't exist, honestly.

Btw I cannot verify this. I just know Reburst was published in Weekly Shonen Sunday. But, I think most of the other Pokemon manga are published in kid's manga magazines. I'll come back later and edit this when I've confirmed it.

Years
  • Absolutely not just for kids! There are many things, some of which you've already pointed out, that can be enjoyed by older fans - I'm sure the creators/staff of Pokémon know this too. I actually feel like they've been catering to older fans a bit lately, since Misty and Brock returned to the anime and we had the first movie remade among other things. The extra shorts from the new mini-series Evolutions seem like they focus on an older audience too.

I think I only started understanding IVs/EVs around the time BW came out and even then it was fuzzy since it was new to me. Now I approach the games in different ways when playing since I understand stats and natures better. :')

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    Well realistically it's mainly aimed at children through almost all its facets. Yes anyone can enjoy it, but overall it's kiddie. Besides the competitive scene and maybe the manga from what I have heard, but I can't say from first hand on the latter.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Naturally, something that's just for kids wouldn't last so long in the market, and with such success.

Pokémon is meant for everyone, that's where the magic of its formula come from. We can enjoy the games in very different ways depending on our prefferences, interests, and the kind of experience we're looking for.

Want to live the power fantasy of a ten years old kid who became the campion, singlehandely took down an entire villain organization and saved an entire region in a couple of weeks? Want to catch them all, and trade with friends? Just chill and enjoy battling with your favorite mons without having to worry about if they actually suck as a team? Get into the hardcore stuff of IVs, EVs, and breeding and get into the competitive scene? Do your own self-imposed challenges or themed runs with custom rules? etc.

Experience management plays a big role in the franchise's success, longevity and replay value. Different people can enjoy these games in very different ways, focusing on the aspects they do like and enjoy more.

Years
    • Seen today
    On the same way I view spongebob. The demographic leans toward children, but that's not the sole viewership.

When someone brings up the "it's for children" as an insult, i automatically assume the person is casting insecurity. I've seen this a few times in regards to nintendo related products. Although it brings in interesting thought, that Nintendo generally does not self promote as a children's company, but a family company. I somewhat assume it's the same for the franchises they host.

Years
  • I remember my dad saying this to me when I wanted to pre-order FR/LF. I basically was able to buy the games myself when I got my first job in high school. I think the demo maybe kids/teens, but us adults can still enjoy this franchise!

TepigLover101

I am a tepig who has hair
    Years
  • Yeah...... Pokemon really isn't just for kids, seeing as you kill blues radicate in gen 1, stop a evil team from destroying the entire world in gen 6
    enslave pokemon in a transe in pokemon rangers, and watching all your friends die in pokemon super mystery dungeon
    I feel like pokemon was initionally made for kids, but as it got more and more popular, they expanded it to all ages, except for gen 8
    oh you loveable peice of garbage

Years
  • i'm not going to speak on the other mediums of pokemon, but generally the same answers would apply - as in, the anime can most certainly be enjoyed by an older audience despite being aimed towards children - but the games are interesting to note for a few reasons...

• as pointed out in the OP, there are some pretty dark undertones when it comes to story. controlling climate to obliterate existence, constant mention of world destruction and even genocide for the sake of an "ideal" world are themes that are touched upon in pokemon games. if you're an older player you pick up on this, but i'd imagine for much younger players, they wouldn't pay much attention to the themes. which brings me to my next point.
    • when it comes to enjoying things on the surface, pokemon games can be perfectly enjoyed by children without putting much thought into it. the game has a lot of flexibility to "forgive" what would be seen as poor decisions, simply because the plot AIs are designed to be simple to beat. complexity really starts to come in when concerning EVs, IVs, and Egg moves as well as challenge runs. when you peel off the layers of pokemon games to reveal the more in-depth methods of raising pokemon to have specific stats and moves as well as limitation challenges, you (general 'you') start to get the idea that this is made for more than children in mind, although it still can be perfectly understood by a pretty smart enough kid if they put time into learning it.

pokemon, while of course intended for children, definitely has options that can be enjoyed by any age and i think the above two points illustrate that, for me.

Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2021
    Many kids can enjoy these games as a healthy way to socialize with other children. Others, however, have addictive personalities, which make them more susceptible to these attractions. Parents need to watch their children at play and see if the game might be affecting their child adversely. Life in the Pokémon world is one of continuous fighting..

Cosmega

Your feathered fella
    Years
  • I agree with this thread. Also, if Pokémon was only for children, then what the heck is Hypno?

Back