• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Remember Floppy Disks?

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
  • What are some obsolete tech that you remember from back in the day? I /do/ actually remember floppy disks a tiny bit, and VCRs. God, rip VHS tapes. though, I remember when those were all I had at home.

Years
  • Goodness. My family used to own a LOT of VHS tapes. I'm honestly saddened that they're all gone now because it would've been nice to keep them just to look back on, but I realize they would've been sitting around doing nothing anyway since we dont have a VHS player, anymore.

Also, it still blows my mind that the era of CDs just came and went. I think most laptop these days are build without an optical drive because you can just download whatever you want online without the need for burning stuff. Also, are blu-rays still a thing? Sometimes I feel like the era of blu-rays like flashed before my eyes and I'm wondering whether or not they're still even being made. @__@

One last thing: I'd really hate to make myself feel super old, but I still vividly remember when my elementary school was full of these, with Netscape pretty much being the default browser:

Spoiler:

Good times.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Floppy discs, beepers & pagers, CDs, Windows 95, VHS, VCRs, CD Players. All I can think of off the top of my head.

Bay

Years
  • Some older tech I used were floppy discs, CDs/CD players, VHS tapes, burning CDs and radio walkmans. I think iPods counts too since now these days folks listen to Spotify and such.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Yeah, really aging PCs users here, lmao.

I remember pagers, the joy of burning CDs, the old Walkman, VHS tapes and VCRs. Had some good times with old, antiquated tech haha.

Years
  • How about CRT television screens?

When I was a little boy I had a magnet toy, and curious little me put the magnet against the TV screen while it was on, and it severely distorted the picture. My mom screamed at me (lmao) and confiscated the toy, and thankfully the TV set had an auto degauss in it to restore the coloration.

Noblejanobii

The Maddest Shaymin
    Years
  • My family still owns a fair amount of floppy discs, CDs, and VHS tapes. Not sure why my dad keeps the floppy discs since there's like no way for his computer to read them. At least the CDs and VHS tapes we have players for. We also own a record player and a cassette tape player. We use the record player quite regularly too.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I still have a small box with a hand full of floppy discs that I wish I could see what was on them. I also have a bunch of burned CDs when I use to make them up before getting an iPod. Lots of CDs with just one or two songs added or changed to them...lol.

DigitalMewtwo

Somewhere on the digital spectrum
    Years
  • Yep. Oregon Trail, Jeopardy, Number Munchers, Wheel of Fortune, Word Munchers... all games I remember playing via floppy disk. And VHS tapes... still have plenty of them, along with a working VCR. I've moved onto DVD's for the most part, but sometimes I watch stuff via VHS instead.

the_fast_reader

Overanalyzing Pokemon for 20 years
    Years
  • I still have my old walkman with music tapes and audio books I used to listen to all the time as a kid.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    Oh god I feel OLD with Oregon Trail and holy crap with Number Munchers. That game was like crack for all of us in my class. There would be the same few kids always hogging it all the time so the rest of us couldn't play.

DigitalMewtwo

Years
  • Oh god I feel OLD with Oregon Trail and holy crap with Number Munchers. That game was like crack for all of us in my class. There would be the same few kids always hogging it all the time so the rest of us couldn't play.

Yea so do I. Definitely. It was really fun. Best news I found out recently is that one of the original founders of Oregon Trail (the game) didn't mind gamers playing it via emulator. It was nice to see someone in the industry having a positive view of things.

Years
  • Anyone else use Windows 3.1 way back when? It was already outdated by the time we got a computer with it, but just being able to use Paint was more than enough for me before I found out what the internet was.

DigitalMewtwo

Years
  • How about CRT television screens?

When I was a little boy I had a magnet toy, and curious little me put the magnet against the TV screen while it was on, and it severely distorted the picture. My mom screamed at me (lmao) and confiscated the toy, and thankfully the TV set had an auto degauss in it to restore the coloration.

I still have them. It's what I game on and watch tv on. New tvs are nice, but still rather expensive.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    People from Win98 era probably remember to use modem/dial-up to connect the internet

Also people may remember AOL so much in the past

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
  • On a more serious answer, anyone remember Zip drives? They were a short lived high capacity format of floppy disk drives. I only remember them because my dad had a drive in the late '90s and early 2000s in our home office.

Back