• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Serious light in the tunnel

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    There are many places to be in touch with feelings on here. (not solely in this sub section either, for example if someone needs it): https://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?p=10481274

So I thought it would be nice if there were a quick discussion on another aspect. Say you've entered a low mood or have long been in one, what is your personal method for coping and finding the exit? the light in the tunnel so to speak.

Mine would be more on the odd side. I'm horribly awkward at expressing myself in depth. So instead of first instinct being looking for someone to speak with, I'll look for anything to learn. Sometimes it could be a specific historical period, or a random game like backgammon. I actually didn't know how to ride a bike until early 2021, taught myself when I was feeling down. Now sometimes I take my bike around the roads.

I also find myself hesitant to speak or write about anything in a low mental state, because the first thing I ask is "How am I going to feel looking back this when I'm not in this mood anymore"? For some it's not an issue, for me it's like a blockade.

There's nothing wrong if the coping method is sought out professionally either. Maybe for some people that's it. I ended up with a prescription to help with panic disorder.

Years
  • I constantly feel low moods every now and then (evident in the fact that I haven't replied to you in my VM's yet Zeo, sorry about that :3)

The most consistent solution for me is to completely isolate myself from contact with friends and family, and just take a walk, in pure silence. Allow myself to drown in my thoughts, and be aimless with my direction~ A few hours of that, and then afterwards get back on my PC, order some McDonald's and watch some Pokemon LPs series' or whatever I feel like on Youtube. I tend to return to my usual self afterwards lol

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I constantly feel low moods every now and then (evident in the fact that I haven't replied to you in my VM's yet Zeo, sorry about that :3)

The most consistent solution for me is to completely isolate myself from contact with friends and family, and just take a walk, in pure silence. Allow myself to drown in my thoughts, and be aimless with my direction~ A few hours of that, and then afterwards get back on my PC, order some McDonald's and watch some Pokemon LPs series' or whatever I feel like on Youtube. I tend to return to my usual self afterwards lol

Oh it's totally fine, don't worry. There's no time frame for VM's, chatting is just for fun so don't worry a bit.

But yeah I understand, YouTube is my escapism too.

Years
  • I sign off and get some alone time in my room with my games. Now that the weather is clearing, maybe a walk too.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    I message a friend. I am the most transparent with my best friend about how I'm feeling and other people might see occasional glimpses of what goes on. But even then, I make an effort to keep things private and where possible manage low moods or hard times alone.

I try to find small things to be positive about whether that is finding a nice song, book, movie or doing a little bit of something I enjoy even if I don't have much time or don't feel as interested in it. Taking my mind off things helps rather than just letting myself sit in negative thought spirals. I also tend to just take more time for myself rather than being with other people. Still not sure if that helps or make things worse but. :D

Years
  • I usually wait it out. It stinks, but not much can help me other than waiting.. usually any super low moods will fade away after a day or two. Even if they eventually come back. :x From there it just repeats. I'm the type that, when upset, hyperfocuses on whatever upset me so it's hard to find proper distractions and time is the best medicine.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    I usually have to wait it out. It may take some days, though. Can't say I have many people I can talk to. Most are people I know mostly from online. And I kinda don't want to bother them all the time when something like that comes up.

Inky

:pleading_face:
    Years
    • he / him
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    I retreat into myself and music typically. I like to think people I'm close with would be comfortable to come to me if they needed someone to talk to if they were in a rough patch

Years
  • I usually wait it out. It stinks, but not much can help me other than waiting.. usually any super low moods will fade away after a day or two. Even if they eventually come back. :x From there it just repeats. I'm the type that, when upset, hyperfocuses on whatever upset me so it's hard to find proper distractions and time is the best medicine.

^^^^^^^ this 1000%

it sucks, but anxiety means that venting to people means you're being a bother to them, and so internalizing any frustrations or low moods is essentially how i've learned and was used to dealing with things. which is weird because i've made it a point to be there for my friends when/if they need me, but i understand entirely the need to retreat to yourself and just wanting the bad mood to pass, which is really what i do.

until of course, the bottle bursts due to being overfilled, but alas that's something i have to put up with.

Retek

Banned
    Years
  • Earlier I used to talk it out with friends, whether online or real life...

But then I slowly started to realize that I was doing nothing more than using them for therapy, so now I try to "keep it in", y'know, tell myself that, "Everything is fine, what's the matter? You're good and are not feeling down at all", and then just look in the mirror and smile. :)

I know, it is a messed up solution, but I feel better with time! :D

I know many people follow the same thing here, but for me, if I become that light in the for somebody, it also, IDK, makes me happy that someone didn't have to hold their pain in. I have been a...source of pain to all my online friends in this year and the past year, so I feel if I can help bring a smidge of a smile on anybody in a day, it just gives me hope of, redemption, I guess? IDK lol, I AM GETTING HUNGRY!!! 😂

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I use the grounding, breathing, coping, and reasoning skills that my doctor's have taught me. I take stock of my body's needs and check if one of those aren't being addressed: am I hungry? Am I thirsty? Have I showered? Did I sleep enough? Etc. I observe the feelings with a detached, objective lens. What am I experiencing? Why? Is this date significant to me? Can I correlate this period with past trauma? Is this a case of my body remembering but my brain doesn't? Having context for those low points can sometimes give way to understanding.

And then once I'm fucking done with being present and analyzing cause it's a damn chore, I fall back on old coping mechanisms. I draw. Focus that energy (or lack there of ) into creativity. I talk, and make an effort to express myself to people I trust. I distract. I avoid. I escape. And, in direct contrast, I will also take on the role of an emotional lightning rod for other people.

If it becomes unmanageable, I call my therapist.

StCooler

Mayst thou thy peace discover.
    Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    I generally stay alone, but not "alone with myself", if that makes sense. I will avoid people, and I'll do something that catches my attention (Youtube, videogames) so that I'm not focusing on my mood. Generally it doesn't last more than one day though.

Back