• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

FireRed hack: Pokemon Orange Islands

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Feb 16, 2021

Story

You will play as Ash Ketchum from Pallet Town! Just after Ash conquered the Indigo League he got back to his mom in his hometown where Professor Oak has a new objective for him. He wants Ash to go to Valencia Island to pick up a strange kind of Pokeball for him, since Professor Ivy is unable to send it to him through the PC system. Of course Ash is eager to take this easy objective. What happens after this is, of course, already known to you because we all saw the anime. Nearly all episodes on the Orange Islands are covered, but not all events are necessarily very prominent. Some episodes are implemented as an important part of the storyline, while some are just miniquests.​

Features

• The Orange Archipelago
  • 4 Gym Leaders & Badges
  • New Sprites
  • New Tiles
  • New Maps
  • Pikachu as starter and the possibility to get Ash's other Pokemon early in-game
  • All Pokemon from Generation I (plus Tracey's Marill from Generation II)
  • Physical/Special/Status Split
  • No Pokeball taken upon failed capture
  • Items to use Dive, Whirpool, Rock Smash & Rock Climb

Screenshots

ImPs57u.gif
mP7UG3m.png
1mzFy6z.png
sMDD8yf.png
38jyI17.png
R8B8Lpg.png
pgBUmGr.png
9sBraFW.png
44upgX7.png
AQPf4ir.png
0i7a6oe.gif
wTFG7MY.png
qCXzTgv.png
A6G1jjY.png
b2U5vvc.png
7d8RFpZ.gif
byIejZ1.png
H98EZ6L.png
Ocsy9XZ.png
FqrKPzS.png
uJAHSbf.png
auneXWz.gif
KgAEUUY.gif
jhqkprC.png
KGCKULN.png
HEvLxHO.png
TnVRtS6.png
Klr5pqH.png
E3AN2zT.png
7vKUVIz.png

Bugs

• The surfing Lapras sprite occasionally overlaps some other overworld sprites and sometimes doesn't appear.
  • Occasionally, a supereffective Thunderbolt causes an annoying sound loop. For now restarting the game fixes it.

Progress

The current Beta version (5.5) is completely finished, including the Movie 2000 Event on Shamouti Island.​

Download

Discord

FAQ

How do I get on the cliffs of Pinkan Island?
Talk to the old lady in Sunburst Island's Pokemon Center, she will give you a hint. In general, talk to NPC's. They often tell useful information.

How do I get past the whirlpools to Fairchild Island?
Someone on Trovita Island will give you the Whirlpuller after you beat Rudy. In general, talk to NPC's. They occasionally give away items.

How can I get to New Island?
Talk to Tracey in Pallet Town after the Shamouti Island Event, he will help you further.

Why are Pokémon in Valencia Park Shiny?
Because they are a different color in the Anime as well.

Why am I not able to climb up a Waterfall?
Waterfall is solely an attacking move in this game. The field effect has been removed on purpose.

How can I get the Crystal Onix?
It's catchable after you beat the Orange League.

Why did you replace the gym challenges from the Anime for regular Pokémon Battles?
First, the story for this game is based on the Anime and not truthful to the Anime. Therefore, I chose to make gym battles instead of the Anime challenges (Wave race, Sled race, etc), because those fit in better within a Pokémon hack based on Fire Red. After all, the whole game is based on battling with Pokémon, not racing with them.

Why don't my Pokémon evolve through trading?
Despite the fact that trading is working in Orange Islands, I want to make the Pokedex fully completable without the need to trade. Therefore I made Kadabra, Graveler, Haunter and Machoke evolve at level 40 instead.

Do I need to take Ash's Pokemon from the Anime with me to make certain events happen?
No.

On what generation are a Pokemon's moves based in this game?
Generation III, except for some Pokemon that Ash originally obtained in the Anime. Some of those Pokemon will have slightly altered movesets, like Charizard learning Seismic Toss by leveling up and Butterfree learning Gust at an earlier level.

Are you going to include Pokémon from other Generations?
No, they're not in the Anime and they don't have my interest. Lugia, Slowking and Marill will be included, however, because they make an appearance in the story.

Credits

• Alcanthite Team - Tiles
  • Alucus - Tiles
  • Avara - Tiles
  • Chacha Dinosaur - Light Ball Routine
  • Daman - Sprites, Support
  • Diegoisawesome - Triple-Layer Blocks
  • DoesntKnowHowToPlay - Physical/Special/Status Split
  • FamiliaWerneck - Pokeball Routine
  • FBI - Various Tweaks
  • Fire Red Overworld Sprite Resource - Sprites
  • Ghoulslash - Surfing Lapras Routine
  • Jiangzhengwenjz - Titlescreen Transition
  • JPAN - Hacked Engine
  • Kensuyjin33 - Sprites
  • Kyledove - Tiles
  • MrDollSteak - The DS-style 64x64 Pokémon Sprite Resource (Sugimori Palettes)
  • Navenatox - Dynamic Overworld Sprites
  • Spherical Ice - Various Tweaks, Dive ASM Routine
  • TaniJ - Sprites
  • Wesley FG - Tiles

Hey guys. I just played through the game. And I'm 2 moon stones away from completing the dex. How often do you find claifairy? I had like over 1500 acounters and just one claifairy. That's pretty harsh.

Years
  • Seen today
@Pokédee

Please don't quote the whole main post that clutters the thread.

Concerning your question: It shouldn't be as rare as a 1/1500 encounter, but it should be pretty rare (around 6%).

I also remember putting in a few moon stones as hidden items. From the top of my head there were two on Pinkan Island and one on Route J. If I'm not mistaken you can also find a moon stone on New Island.

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 23, 2023
thank you for creating this awesome rom hack i was a huge fan of Ash Gray and you did such an amazing job with this

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Mar 5, 2021
Amazing hack, i pretty much created the account only to say this.
Out of curiosity, would you ever consider making your own hack about the Kanto portion of the anime?
I checked out Ash Gray of course, but to me it's lacking in the polish, balance and the amazing, detailed map design that Orange Islands has.

Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Oct 2, 2023
Sorry if I missed it, but how far along is it complete? As in Gyms and story? I dont want to start now and get to Gym 4 and than in a few months theres 8 Gyms and I have to reset.

Years
  • Seen today
@Peawy

Thanks, glad you liked it, completely agree on Ash Gray;)

I'm actually working on such a thing that should be better than Orange Islands, but at a very, very slow pace. So don't expect something in the coming 3 years.

@SAFN

I don't know how I can make any more clear that the game is finished than I already did in the title and under "Progress" in the main post...

Years
  • Age 36
  • Seen Apr 22, 2024
Speaking of finished, after an embarrassingly long time I finally finished my run.

VTFMQg2.png

They were all on lvl 45 when I went to challenge the champion.
For a long time I didn't really know where to go with my team. On the one hand, I wanted to keep most of Ash's team, on the other I really didn't need a second water type, so I went with 2 mons I never used before. Every one of them did its part to help me beat the champion.

I really loved the look of this hack. Especially the Lapras sprite is super adorable, but all the maps and routes look great, too. It's been months since I played, but I can't remember any occasion where the NPC dialogue would take me out of the game, it was always very nice and true to the originals. Having items for most of the HMs was just the cherry on top.

I never really watched the anime, so I got constantly confused about where I was supposed to go. Not the fault of the hack, though, I could get lost in my own bedroom. Can't decide yet if I want to complete the dex. Probably not, as I am a bit burned out on early gen mons.

I think I had a slight sequence bug late game. Unfortunately I don't know what or how exactly, since I didn't know where I was supposed to go in the first place.
Spoiler:

I really loved this hack. Thank you!

Years
  • Seen today
@Astralaria

Thanks, glad you liked it!

Concerning your bug: Thanks for the catch!

I checked the map script and when you enter Pummelo Island coming from the northernmost tile of Route V, the worldmapflag gets set already (which shouldn't happen). There were some small things I wanted to change about the hack already, so maybe I'll release a bugfix somewhere in the coming weeks;)

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 19
  • Seen Nov 24, 2023
Nice Hack! I beat it but can someone create a guide (or maybe already exists and i just can't find one) on legendaries? I have Mewtwo, articuno, moltres, and zapdos

Years
  • Seen today
@M̷̗̟̥̏a̶̰͐̐̇s̸͙̈͗̊o̵̡̩͐̑̒n̷̗̗̈

Aren't those basically all available legendaries in Gen I, except Mew? Afaik, there is no guide available on how to find/catch them. Apart from Mew, it's all pretty straightforward.

Years
  • Seen today
Hi all,

Just uploaded a new version (Beta 5.6), mainly polish/bugfixes. This will probably the last release.

Enjoy!

bh02032002

Currently open for rom hack beta testing.
Years
Hi all,

Just uploaded a new version (Beta 5.6), mainly polish/bugfixes. This will probably the last release.

Enjoy!

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for your hard work throughout the years on this, the bug fix is much appreciated. I played this hack around 2 years ago and I 100% enjoyed it, good luck with your future endeavours.

Years
  • Age 21
  • Seen May 25, 2021
Why can't I enter neither in the Pokémon center nor in Ivy's laboratory? Is that a bug??

Years
  • Seen today
@corrado_ar

Probably not. Could you elaborate, I have no idea what you're talking about.

Years
  • Seen today
Hi all,

Just uploaded a new version (Beta 5.7) with some small bugfixes. Hopefully, this will really be the last release.

Enjoy!

Years
  • Seen today
@Spacewalker

If I would have made anything sufficient, I'd make a thread for it. I'm working on it very, very slowly. It will probably never come to a release.

Back