• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon that Are Really Weird to You

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
Years
  • Is there a Pokémon, or multiple Pokémon that just utterly confound you because of their design, their typing, their moves, their stats, or some other reason?

Two of the ones I can list off the top of my head are Sigilyph and Cryogonal. For some reason these two Pokémon's designs fascinate me because of just how bizarre they are. What the heck is Sigilyph even supposed to be? Cryogonal is a similar case; I know it's a snowflake, but its dex entries imply it's carnivorous, and I'm still wondering how it even eats. It's got a bizarre movepool, too: Sharpen? Ancient Power? Night Slash? Solar Beam? And these are level-up moves? And I think it's because of their weirdness that I quite like them.

Girafarig, too. It has a blend of a bizarre biology, a strange typing, and mediocre stats. It's one of those Pokémon that make me go "Why?".

Years
  • To me sigilyph has always been an unown flying around in some sort of Mech or Battle Armor xD

The UB's are weird looking, but are supposed to be weird looking.

Snubbul/Granbull's type change to Fairy has always been weird to me. Would've understood if it was added on and became Normal/Fairy, but Normal just got completely replaced. To me it looks more like a normal type mon than a fairy mon.
    Diggersby's ears. Just, why?
    Incineroar's ingame pose has always been awkward/weird to me. Think it would look a lot better posed differently! I love Litten & Torracat, but Incineroar is just an oh heck nope to me.

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Aside from Ultra Beasts, which look extremely bizarre on purpose, I can think of:

Dhelmise: a heavy anchor, obviously made of steel, which lives underwater but because of the seaweed on its body it's a Grass and Ghost type... wat?

Stunfisk and Falinks are really weird too. It's basically impossible to guess their actual types correctly the first time you see them.

Years
    • Any pronoun
    • Seen today
    - Alolan Persian. Skirts the line between weird and stupid-looking. Chose weird due to having Kanto Persian as a comparison. Why is its head a sphere? What hath Alola wrought?
    - Crustle. Carries a huge cement block. Dwarfs the actual Pokemon.
    - Lileep and Cradily. Looks like worms coming out of its...head thing.
    - Girafarig. Part giraffe (okay), part...dark thing?
    - Mawile. Cannot easily tell what it is by its sprite.
    - All the Galar fossils. Not unsurprising.

Years
    • Seen Nov 25, 2022
    I think toxicity is weird, its chest things look... off to me.

Years
  • 1. im really sorry to all the emboar fans out there, but i've never vibed well with its design. there's nothing wrong with a pig aesthetic (heck i love the swinub evolutionary line), but ever since its reveal, i just... couldn't mentally mesh well with it. i don't hate it (it doesn't fit in the same tier as drowzee/hypno, that's really harsh), but it's kinda weird to me.

2. for that same reason, magmortar will never not be weird to me. not sure what i expected but.... what we got certainly wasn't it.

3. guzzlord is weird even in the context of an ultra beast and takes the whole "extraterrestrial alien thing" waaaaaaaaayyy too far to me.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    Probopass is a full blown weirdo. Looks like Mario had a had a baby with Stonehenge. Also Hypno is pretty dang weird for reasons I won't mention on this forum

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 9, 2021
    - Alolan Persian. Skirts the line between weird and stupid-looking. Chose weird due to having Kanto Persian as a comparison. Why is its head a sphere? What hath Alola wrought?
    - Crustle. Carries a huge cement block. Dwarfs the actual Pokemon.
    - Lileep and Cradily. Looks like worms coming out of its...head thing.
    - Girafarig. Part giraffe (okay), part...dark thing?
    - Mawile. Cannot easily tell what it is by its sprite.
    - All the Galar fossils. Not unsurprising.

Oh my god. I was just watching the anime the other day and thinking to myself how insanely stupid it is that Alolan Persians head is the size of a fat lemon

Years
  • well if your talking weird pokemon have you ever took a moment to think some pokemon that are not weird at all can be weird like lucario aura pokemon take a moment to think how does lucario produce aura?
    or swirlix cotton candy pokemon umm cotton candy and yet when swirlix gets in the water he or she doesnt melt and its made of cotton candy!
    but then you have melmetal a strange barely known and seen mythical pokemon he is also known as the bolt pokemon but does melmetal have a heart beat i mean bolts and goo and a wire for a tail doesnt have a heart beat in the real world what about the pokemon world?

Years
  • I love Meltan, but ever since watching the anime and seeing this:

250px-Meltan_headless.png

I've been a bit baffled. Its head just comes off like that and there was a whole episode centered around finding it/seeing if it can be replaced by other objects Omg??

Years
  • i think all of you are right because toxtricity is freakin weird and probopass what is he supposed to be based off of and ever since i saw that clip of meltan on sun and moon he is kinda creepy...

Years
  • This might be an unpopular opinion but I always found Salamence to be weird because of it's wings. To me they look so weird and unnatural on Salamence compared to the rest of the body, and look so out of place like someone stuck 2 bland pieces of red cardboard or plastic in Salamence's back and called it wings. It's kinda sad because I think the rest of Salamance looks amazing and cool but the wings ruin it a lot and that's why Salamence will never be one of my favorites, he'll be stuck in the middle among the Pokemon I don't care that much about.

Even other dragons with "unusual" wings look good and their wings look like the natural part of their body, like Flygon for example because even though his wings don't looks like "classic" dragon wings they are still looking natural on Flygon because Flygon looks kinda like a bug and those wings are also a little bug-like so it fits nicely together. If they just made Salamence's wings look a little more natural and gave them a detail or two so they look like they actually belong on Salamence's back it would have made this Pokemon so much better than it already is but they didn't and now we are forever stuck with this powerful but very weird looking (at least to me) pseudo-legendary. I mean they even somehow managed to make fricking cannons look like a natural part of Blastoise in the first ever games but they couldn't do it with the wings on a dragon two gens later?!

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • Mawile has never struck me as a Steel- or even Fairy-type. Maybe that's part of the deception? Apparently its fake mouth are overgrown steel horns, but what of the rest of Mawile's body? I've always found single-stage Pokémon like Mawile really weird because...why are they there? To make the dex more well-rounded type-wise? To give players more "good early-game, bad late-game" Pokémon?

Duck

🦆 quack quack
    Years
    • he, they
    • Seen Feb 23, 2023
    Aside from Ultra Beasts, which look extremely bizarre on purpose, I can think of:

Dhelmise: a heavy anchor, obviously made of steel, which lives underwater but because of the seaweed on its body it's a Grass and Ghost type... wat?

Stunfisk and Falinks are really weird too. It's basically impossible to guess their actual types correctly the first time you see them.

I agree with Stunfisk and Falinks but Dhelmise has a point: you see, Dhelmise isn't the anchor, it's the green seaweed that's more or less "possessing" the anchor. It's explained in the Pokedex entries. That's why it's Grass / Ghost and has Steelworker.

Mawile has never struck me as a Steel- or even Fairy-type. Maybe that's part of the deception? Apparently its fake mouth are overgrown steel horns, but what of the rest of Mawile's body? I've always found single-stage Pokémon like Mawile really weird because...why are they there? To make the dex more well-rounded type-wise? To give players more "good early-game, bad late-game" Pokémon?

I guess it's in part a logistics issue because drawing a lot of evolutions is complicated, and in part just for flavor I guess. Not everybody has to evolve. Snorlax is a good example of a single-stage Pokémon that's just good all the time.

I guess I never thought too much of Mawile, but if I had to guess the deception is probably the reason for fairy typing yeah.

Years
  • It's gotta be the garbage pokemon for me. Like I can kinda understand grimer and muk (even if they are quite literally piles of toxic slime). But then you get things like trubbish which is just a bag of trash. Why? Then it evolves into Garbordor: a large heap of trash. Sorry to anyone who likes them but I just find the designs super strange.

Then theres alolan muk... its now radioactive toxic slime...

Geewithabee

Mess with the Grookey, you get the bazookey.
    Years
    • Age 39
    • He/Him
    • Seen Nov 26, 2021
    For reasons I do not know, I have always found Turtonator very off-putting.

And they overdid it with Alolan Exeggutor. I get that he's supposed to be a different kind of "tree" but his neck is ridiculously too long.

Years
  • Solgaleo and Lunala are both really weird types if you ask me. Solgaleo is a Steel- and Psychic-type, making it weak to Fire. But it's the Sun Legendary. And Lunala is a Psychic- and Ghost-type, so it's weak to Dark. But it's the Moon Legendary. This logic is unacceptable.

Back