• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Yahoo: All 3 billion+ accounts were compromised

Alex

what will it be next?
Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    I had a Yahoo account yeeeears ago. I haven't used it in a very long time, so I'm happy I avoided this unscathed. But this is extremely scary and alarming for everyone involved, including email alternatives to Yahoo. Hackers know that people keep very valuable data within their email. Perhaps this will be a wake-up call not to keep so much private information in the archives of the web.

Years
  • Yahoo was already done for years ago. The nail was already in the coffin I believe when there was no hope of their shares ever going up the way it used to back in the day. If by some reason they're still chugging, then I don't see them recovering after something like this.

It really brings to light why people just don't switch to more secure email services than Yahoo. I don't think Yahoo in particular has the greatest reputation for security, here.

string555

Banned
    Years
  • Honestly, I'm kind of surprised it's still being used anyway. But what about AskJeeves, that place is still okay, right?! XD

As someone said, people often have a treasure trove of personal info in their emails, so now all of that is out there for those accounts. It seems like Computer Security 101 should be a required course in school, in these modern times. I'm not saying that would have prevented a lot of this, but I feel this is a good place to say it anyways. :P

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I had a Yahoo account yeeeears ago. I haven't used it in a very long time, so I'm happy I avoided this unscathed. But this is extremely scary and alarming for everyone involved, including email alternatives to Yahoo. Hackers know that people keep very valuable data within their email. Perhaps this will be a wake-up call not to keep so much private information in the archives of the web.

Same here, but it's really frightening to hear this news as I haven't fully moved my notifications from my Yahoo account to a new account.

Years
  • huge sigh /:
    My Yahoo e-mail is my main e-mail for work/professional things. I really want to just quit and use Gmail for everything but it's so hard at this point when my ymail is already linked to almost all my job stuff and established. This stinks and I don't trust Yahoo to keep my information secure.

Last edited:
    Years
  • huge sigh /:
    My Yahoo e-mail is my main e-mail for work/professional things. I really want to just quit and use Gmail for everything but it's so hard at this point when my ymail is already linked to almost all my job stuff and established. This stinks and I don't trust Yahoo to keep my information secure.
    You could always create a Gmail account for your work stuff and then set up forwarding in your Yahoo account and do business as usual that way:

https://help.yahoo.com/kb/SLN22028.html

Years
  • I did that, but I just couldn't manage it for some reason. I need the account to be directly there =s Plus it meant that I'd have to sign in between my personal and professional gmails, which was pretty tedious lol. #firstworldproblems

I'll figure out what I want to do at some point! But Yahoo mail is pretty crap and clunky because of the interface, and ads if you don't have them blocked. Gmail loads a lot faster.

Last edited:

Raffy98

[color=#2d9bce][b][span="font-family: 'century got
    Years
  • I never had a Yahoo account, but one of my friends has got one and he still uses it to this day, guess I should tell something to him about this. Maybe this time he will finally switch over to something more secure like Gmail or Outlook.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    wow I'm glad I decided not to make a tumblr account. I was this close | | O_o.

Back