• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Your favourite Legend of Zelda Game

Years
  • You know that obscure franchise with the dude with the saggy green hat who like, kills things and has a triangle. Yeah, well what was your favourite game-thing from that... thing?

Years
    • Seen today
    This is a difficult question.

I would say Link's Awakening. I loved it for the Mario references, but never thought the actual game was interesting enough to play far into. It was also one of the first games I ever played, but I haven't felt nostalgic for it.

Then there's Ocarina of Time, which I initially hated. My thoughts were:

"This game is boring".

"Overrated, I don't understand how this is called the best game of all time".

Then I became better at puzzle solving, which led to me liking the game, and replaying multiple times on 3DS and Nintendo 64.

I still want to like Wind Waker, but I'll never forget falling asleep in the middle of the day playing it. That should not happen, and it'll be a while for I go back. But the game makes me tired, maybe it's the graphics.

I've gotten 100% on Majora's Mask, but it took a month with a guide. I enjoyed the apocalypse atmosphere of the whole game. But my favorite would probably be Ocarina of Time, only because it's a rare instance where I've felt like replaying one of these games.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 22, 2024
    Hm, I think I've heard of this franchise before... :p

I haven't played too many, to be honest, and I'm not a huge LoZ superfan - I didn't think it was perfect, but I'll still have to go with Breath of the Wild. It just stands out a lot for a Legend of Zelda game and I appreciated the direction they took with it, even though it still had its flaws.

Honorable mentions are A Link to the Past, my very first LoZ game (for its time I thought it was a really open world, and I've always loved open world games), and the Minish Cap was very cute.

Years
  • I'm sorry but.......the Wind Waker graphics made you fall asleep? Must've been something else or you were playing a bootleg version, the graphics for Wind Waker are amazing, it's one of the key factors as to why it's my favourite in the series. It was such a refreshing change from the previous artstyles of the N64 LoZ games, boasted one of the best musical scores in the franchise and generally the gameplay is very good. There are drawbacks sure, the sailing segment could have been optimised massively but I like the little touches such as the baton being essentially an allusion to OoT but still managing to keep a unique feel to WW itself.

CodeHelmet

Banned
    Years
  • First Zelda game was Ocarina of Time but I also played A Link to the Past on SNES. Haven't played anything since due to not having anything recent with regards to consoles and in some ways I wish I could play Windwaker(love its musical score), A Link Between Worlds(A Link to the Past with far better OST) and maybe Breath of the Wild. TP and SS also have amazing soundtracks. In fact, if there's one thing Zelda is known for is kicking ass in the music department.

Years
  • ALttP is a solid second for me, such an amazing game and especially expansive considering it's for the SNES, and also boasting the legendary-level music as you've mentioned haha.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Hmm... A few candidates.

- BotW was pretty fantastic in many regards. But I haven't done everything in that yet, and while it has some great tunes (Hyrule Castle!) there is less music generally and less memorable stand-out tunes compared to some other titles.
    - Minish Cap was such good fun and although maybe not the best balanced game maybe the most fun one I've tried. Solid all round, lots of exploring, and the integration of the Minish world was cute and fun.

Spirit Tracks wins best overworld theme, followed by TP.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    For 3D: TP/WW > MM > SS > OoT > BotW, now I like all Zelda games, one being at the top or bottom of my preferences doesn't mean I dislike it or think it's a bad game.

For 2D, it goes MC > ALttP > PH > OoS/OoA > LA > ST > ALBW > LoZ > Zelda II.

Multiplayer it goes FSA > TFH > FS (I only really could play it on the anniversary edition, still had fun with a friend back then in 2011)

I'm not including the remakes or remasters. I still like the original WW over its HD Wii U version.

Also maybe when I get good at the classic NES titles, I will grow to like them more, and might put them above ALBW

Last edited:

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    I've only played the original and triforce heroes, and it was like, 20 minutes of each so... no opinion
    I wanna try out the 3d ones

Years
  • Never played Zelda before in my life. But if I had to guess, Breath of the Wild would be definitely my choice. If only it was available to PC too...

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • Breath of the Wild without a shadow of a doubt, none of the others come close. To this day (which, really, is only 2 years later) I haven't seen open world done better and I'm still waiting for that to happen, RDR/2 coming closest to it. It's amazing how the idea of making a world that's fun and also fun to navigate is lost on so many developers, that's how we end up with Ubi's logic of adding a lot to collect in a world that's boring to traverse and explore and filled with repetitive exploration tasks. BotW's just a stellar game that's managed to leave me awestruck after dozens upon dozens of hours of gameplay, constantly discovering new things even towards the end of my play through, and no game has ever had that effect on me. One of my all time faves.

Second goes to Wind Waker because it's just a joy. The characters were fun and their expressions moreso, loved the weapon system (in that enemy weapons could be dropped and used by Link), and the exploration was some of the best the series had to offer.

After that...or maybe on par with it? (I dunno these days) is Majora's Mask, which swooped in and took OoT's position for me back when I gave it a chance on VC. Writing + Player Choice + Secrets + Exploration can make for a hell of a game. Who knew? And the idea that you can't save everyone...fuck, like, I don't know why Ninty decided to go that direction with things but it hit hard. Honestly wish I'd invested the time into it when I was younger that I did when I revisited it because it would've been hella educational.

And fourth being OoT because it's just a great game that gets shit on for being overrated. To this day I have a blast revisiting it and nostalgia be damned, it's just a good game. Great music, fun gameplay that holds up really well (which seems to be a running theme with first-party N64 games despite being released at the dawn of 3D gaming), and a well crafted story with twists and turns. I'll never understand why a certain entry of a series breeds hate among fans for the product and not the fans themselves.

Years
    • Age 122
    • Seen Jan 27, 2019
    BotW is overrated. More than OoT at this point. Criticize it on reddit and you will wish you hadnt.

Last edited:

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • BotW is overrated. More than OoT at this point. Criticize it on reddit and you will wish you hadnt.
    I mean...reddit's reddit.

More often than not I've seen people be pretty fair with BotW, really evened out over time. Tbh I'd go the other way and say it's underrated due to the reasons it has many of the detractors that it does. Because hating on popular things is fun.

OoT had that too, of course, but at least they could use its devout fans' nostalgia as a weapon. I wrote this little number a while back, so I have to raise an eyebrow when people call BotW out for "weapon degradation ruining the game" or it being "a big empty open world" when there are far more pressing problems that do actually hurt the game that rarely get brought up.

Worse when people started comparing it to Horizon, as if the games were even similar past their being open world titles. Oh boy. Reaching is easy but grabbing on is hard.

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Majora's Mask has been the most excited I've ever been for a game's release, lol. Granted, I was around 11 at time, but the hype was real for me.

As for the game, it's just a surreal experience. The constant impending doom and the way you intervene in the characters' misfortunes along with the 3 day mechanic really makes you feel like everything you do has a consequence. The atmosphere is easily my favorite of the Zelda games, and despite the limited number of dungeons, I do like the few that we got (Stone Tower Temple is great!) The OST is among my favorites as well.

Last edited:

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
  • I don't think there's a Zelda game I dislike. One of my favourite things about this series is that it's kinda hard to disappoint cough unlike Fire Emblem cough.

My favourite used to be Skyward Sword. I really loved OoT and MM and whatnot, but Skyward Sword was just absolutely beautiful to me. That changed when Breath of the Wild released; it was the first game in years that had me hooked from start to finish. I would actually be excited to get home to play this game, and would play it for three, four, even five hours at a time on some days, which is quite marvellous when I can barely play any other game for longer than an hour or two (not because of boredom, it just feels like a terrible misuse of time).

Years
  • The one with the bald kid who eats beans by a river and sells them for insanely high prices. Because that's me. Not physically, not really, but there are some similarities in mien, grace, flair, et cetera. We're soul brothers. Soul animals. Soul bean sellers. It's incredible.

Yes, I think it is Ocarina of Time, which is closely shadowed by Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, which are on the same tier of godliness. Everything else can suck eggs! It's not like I've played them or anything. Yeah, they can jump in a hole.
    Except the one with the pig named Link in it. That's precious.

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
    Years
  • The one with the bald kid who eats beans by a river and sells them for insanely high prices. Because that's me. Not physically, not really, but there are some similarities in mien, grace, flair, et cetera. We're soul brothers. Soul animals. Soul bean sellers. It's incredible.

Yes, I think it is Ocarina of Time, which is closely shadowed by Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess, which are on the same tier of godliness. Everything else can suck eggs! It's not like I've played them or anything. Yeah, they can jump in a hole.
    Except the one with the pig named Link in it. That's precious.

B-b-but what about Wind Waker?!

Years
  • B-b-but what about Wind Waker?!

What do you know? I've just found the gif to match to that question.
    Spoiler:

Well, if it's got a pig called Link in it then that's enough for me. If it doesn't have that, or a Bean Seller or Darmani or Zant, my epic trinity, then it will never make the list. But 'grats to it for improvised graphics! And for turning the Kokiri into leaf men... they completely had that coming... okay well they didn't but I don't know.

I was eager to play Breath of the Wild, but I watched a Twitch video and saw this insipid red monstrosity trying to perverse the course of true love between the saggy hat guy and his princess babe, however unwittingly. Her name is Mipha, and my irrational hatred of her runs far and deep. I'd gladly toss her into a ravine. I'm just waiting for the VR version of BotW to come along so that I can actualise my sentiments and all that.

Here is an interesting question for everyone here: which Legend of Zelda character would you gladly toss into a ravine?

Back