• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Home skills

Years
  • What do you have?
    I can do anything aside from laundry, I don't trust myself with judging the amount of soap. I'll flood the laundry room and have to hide in here from an angry landlady.

Do you believe such things should be taught in schools? Or is it the duty of the parents?

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I can do laundry because when I was younger I asked my Mom to make me specific directions on how to do each type of load from whites to Dad's work pants. I can do dishes, vacuum and basic cooking. I can also do sewing as well. Mom also taught me how to balance the checkbook even though I rarely write one.

As for who should teach kids i think it should be both parents and school.

Years
  • My "home skills" are pretty decent. I'm a good cook and I'm a pro at putting furniture together at this point. I will say though, that I despise gardening and doing the dishes. You couldn't pay me enough to tend a garden and I went out and bought a dishwasher just to avoid having to do such a tedious job ever again. I'm perfectly competent at both and could do it in a pinch, I just can't stand the tedium. Being poor has also made me good at budgeting.

I think most of these skills - chore related ones - are the responsibility of parents but stuff like understanding mortgages, taxes, rates etc etc should be mandatory in schools.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • I'm good at cooking and getting better as I develop more interest in it, especially desserts! So if I'm left in charge of the house I can definitely cook dinner and clean up afterwards.

And I've actually been forbidden from most domestic work that involves washing/laundry because my mum prizes my soft, pale hands and doesn't want to see them ruined aha—I'm also forbidden from chopping onions and garlic for the same reason, thankfully!

I'm not in the least bit handy, so if something breaks, especially plumbing, I'm hopeless... ^^; But I can vacuum/tidy up/clean pretty well.

I think parents should teach children these domestic skills and schools should instead focus on the things GP mentioned above me.

Years
    • Seen today
    I did house keeping for a hotel for a while so stuff like laundry, making beds etc carried over.

Years
    • Seen today
    Now there's a job I would never want. Props to you.

It was only twice a week and got me tons of credits for my highschool.

But yeah I didn't enjoy it. I was slow at making the beds, and I never got the hang of folding sheets.

There were gross occasions, such as once I found a blood splattered towel in a laundry pile. But for the most part just doing the laundry was my favorite. I didn't like the rush of vacuuming rooms and fixing the beds.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I can clean pretty much since that's basically been my job for like 7 or 8 years now. We wash the dishes regularly at home too so there's that too. Laundry has always seemed easy enough to me, but idk if that's just because of the machines we've had or what.

Wouldn't say I have skills though. I don't mean that in a "these things are braindead easy literally anyone should be able to do them git gud" way, it's just that I don't believe that I'm a person who's good at anything really.

Cooking is not something I can do. Like, I can boil pasta or brown ground meat, but that's not what anyone would really call cooking, right? Never learned how to sew either.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    I don't trust myself with judging the amount of soap

Yo, I feel this on such a profound level. I'm nearly 30 and I still get anxious about the nightmare scenario that is using too much soap. It's not happened to me yet but I still experience that worry. I also have difficulties with some things like putting dishes away because I have an auditory sensory sensitivity to certain sounds -- the clanging of dishes being one of them. But I digress.

Not to get too dark here but I truly feel like my parents refused to teach me certain life skills to keep me belittled and dependent on them, while at the same time chastising me for being lazy or just plain stupid if I tried. My mom especially after the divorce relied on me to be her emotional support while also having ridiculously high expectations for me to do domestic tasks that wasn't taught how to do. No one taught me how to start a lawnmower, you know? I wasn't old enough to drive so how was I supposed to keep the pantry stocked?

So I learned the hard way, and even more so when my mom died and I eventually inherited the house. Most of it is common sense, cleaning, cooking, laundry, etc.. but no one taught me how to pay bills, how to do my taxes, how to pay a mortgage, how to be a landlord, how to file a W2, how to file a police report, how to invest money, what landscaping is, or any of the other major adult milestones people are supposed to reach. So I made a bunch of mistakes along the way but I eventually learned. These things should absolutely be taught in schools and no one should ever feel shame or embarrassment for asking.

budube

Hi I'm Cube
    Years
    • Age 24
    • She / They
    • Seen Apr 30, 2024
    i can do most stuff i think. can do laundry, wash dishes, and cleaning... in some way, because idk how to use a broom (we don't have a vacuum cleaner). my cooking skills are decent enough to survive by eating the same stuff nearly everyday.

i can do all of that, but i can't organize my bedroom

Bay

Years
  • I can do laundry, dishes, and basic cleaning the bathroom. Cooking not so much, mostly only know how to fry/boil some meat and cut certain vegetables.

Years
  • Since lockdown and being kept at home my cooking has improved immensly, I can cook a wide range of meals now which actually tasted pretty good! I can also do the laundry, mainly after living by myself for three years at university.

VisionofMilotic

Ekans' attack continues!
    Years
  • I'm good at cooking and getting better as I develop more interest in it, especially desserts! So if I'm left in charge of the house I can definitely cook dinner and clean up afterwards.

And I've actually been forbidden from most domestic work that involves washing/laundry because my mum prizes my soft, pale hands and doesn't want to see them ruined aha—I'm also forbidden from chopping onions and garlic for the same reason, thankfully!

I'm not in the least bit handy, so if something breaks, especially plumbing, I'm hopeless... ^^; But I can vacuum/tidy up/clean pretty well.

I think parents should teach children these domestic skills and schools should instead focus on the things GP mentioned above me.

Garlic and onion have harsh scents that nobody wants on their hands. So I was wondering if that was a concern at home? If so, then there is a home remedy for that. If you keep lemons or lime at home squirting the juice on your hand will remove any odor. Rubbing ginger root on your fingers will also do this, but the citrus is even better because it not only leaves you smelling fresh and clean but it actually acts as a toner, brightening the skin, making it softer and fading any marks on the body. My hands are always as smooth as satin after this.

Hyzenthlay

[span=font-size: 16px; font-family: cinzel; color:
    Years
  • Garlic and onion have harsh scents that nobody wants on their hands. So I was wondering if that was a concern at home? If so, then there is a home remedy for that. If you keep lemons or lime at home squirting the juice on your hand will remove any odor. Rubbing ginger root on your fingers will also do this, but the citrus is even better because it not only leaves you smelling fresh and clean but it actually acts as a toner, brightening the skin, making it softer and fading any marks on the body. My hands are always as smooth as satin after this.

I heard that lemons and limes were good at deodorising but I didn't realise it had such amazing benefits applied directly to the skin like that! We don't often have lemons in the house but I will keep that in mind for when we do, thank you! ^_^

Back