• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Development: 12 Palettes for Icons

Years
Update 1: https://www.pokecommunity.com/showpost.php?p=9865251&postcount=9

My first post contributing to the community, I'm so excited.
Sorry for bad english.I tried so hard and get so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter.

12 PALETTES FOR POKEMON ICONS
Hey, like the box ones
Spoiler:

If you were like me, you would have wondered why there is just 3 palettes for icons, when you sure have space for more.
Pokedex and Summary Screen loads just the pallete of the 'mon shown in the screen at the moment, and the box, trainer card and party screen have space at least 12 unused palletes.
And the worst, the 3 palettes used are simply ugly, I don't know why they used it in further games like BW.
But, I know how we can do better! I took the 7 gen sprites and made a row of 12 pallets with it, trying to cover every single Pokémon as close as I could to the the actual colors.
This is what I get in the end:
3vIjm2f.png

(I put 3 separated if someone want to use then, but don't want to expand the number of the palettes used)
Here is an example of what we can do using this palettes and how close we can get to the last gen:
BJxr0vu.png

I have done almost evertything alone, but I couldn't complete this because I don't know how to "transfer" the palletes from trainer card from the "background" to the "sprites" layer =(.
And probabily you have to make the game regonize then, making it read the pallete from icons on trainer card from the other area, it's just a guess, I don't know, I thought someone here could help me :3.

Anyway, I have made:
Spoiler:

And that's it.
Doing it the new palettes should be correct load in party, summary screen, box and pokedex and the Pokemon can use then.
I don't remember of another use for Pokemons icons so I don't tested it.
Trainer Card it still work, just Pokémon won't be loaded in the correct pallete, a poor fix to it is just throwing away the function of printing Pokémon, but for me and the most of rom hackers, this shouldn't be a option.
For the make the 'mons use the new palletes, just redo the table in 0x3D3E80, one byte per Pokémon, each one control what palette it will use. 00 for Palette 1, 01 for Palette 2, etc.
No need to say, but if you expanded the dex, this table will be in another place.

I will be adapting every single Pokémon sprites from SUN/MOON UNTIL GEN 7 for my new palettes, make second frames and I will do a resource thread with it if someone help with trainer card, if no one helps, there is no point of pointing this resource and even I will have no use for it ;~~;.

Thanks for reading, I hope someway this helped the community to make even better rom hacks.
^^

Last edited:
Years

Nice work but I believe the highest you can go with icon palettes is 6. Pokemon's icons are objects and you can have up to 16 different object palettes loaded at once. Reason gamefreak went with just 3(well actually 6 but left them unused) is because of PC boxes. I once checked how pals were used and I think there were 3 free slots, the rest was taken by:
- the mon you're viewing
- window boxes
- the white/yellow hand
- pokemon makrs
- various texts
- that pkmn data thingy

Years
Nice work but I believe the highest you can go with icon palettes is 6. Pokemon's icons are objects and you can have up to 16 different object palettes loaded at once. Reason gamefreak went with just 3(well actually 6 but left them unused) is because of PC boxes. I once checked how pals were used and I think there were 3 free slots, the rest was taken by:
- the mon you're viewing
- window boxes
- the white/yellow hand
- pokemon makrs
- various texts
- that pkmn data thingy
First of all, thanks for the criticism, coming from you it means a lot.
Second, I think you missed a few things, but in general you're right, some of these things I forgot.
If you use the palettes locations that I sugest in the first post, you would cover most of the cases of texts, the mon you're viewing, the white/yellow hand and Pokémon marks.
Window boxes and the pokemon data hud shouldn't be affected by expanding the number of object pals because they simple don't read from the object palls, but from background ones.
Spoiler:

I think I can fix almost of these little problems this weekend as I managed to fix the trainercard alone, so thanks for helping me to find these bugs, I love your works, Dizzy.

A lot of bad things happend to me these past weeks, but I get a lot of first frames done, I first will complete adapt the Gen 6 icons to the new palletes then I will do the second frames, index it and post for public use, that's what I have made so far:
bTdlNhH.png

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
First of all, thanks for the criticism, coming from you it means a lot.
Second, I think you missed a few things, but in general you're right, some of these things I forgot.
If you use the palettes locations that I sugest in the first post, you would cover most of the cases of texts, the mon you're viewing, the white/yellow hand and Pokémon marks.
Window boxes and the pokemon data hud shouldn't be affected by expanding the number of object pals because they simple don't read from the object palls, but from background ones.
Spoiler:

I think I can fix almost of these little problems this weekend as I managed to fix the trainercard alone, so thanks for helping me to find these bugs, I love your works, Dizzy.

A lot of bad things happend to me these past weeks, but I get a lot of first frames done, I first will complete adapt the Gen 6 icons to the new palletes then I will do the second frames, index it and post for public use, that's what I have made so far:
bTdlNhH.png

I suggest that you use the icons posted from MrDollSteak's Sugimori sprite resource and from our Gen. 7 sprite repository as bases for creating new sets of icons for this...

Years
I suggest that you use the icons posted from MrDollSteak's Sugimori sprite resource and from our Gen. 7 sprite repository as bases for creating new sets of icons for this...
I complete forgot MrDoll's Sugimori resource, I've been thinking that I would need to redo 1-4 gen because the community just have made second frames for games that don't have their owns and used 1-4 icons from BW, a big thanks for the sugestion, that will make the work so faster.

thedarkdragon11

New World Pirate
Years
I complete forgot MrDoll's Sugimori resource, I've been thinking that I would need to redo 1-4 gen because the community just have made second frames for games that don't have their owns and used 1-4 icons from BW, a big thanks for the sugestion, that will make the work so faster.

Yes, the icons from those threads already made 3DS icons w/ 2nd frames... In our Gen. 7 repository, we also have custom made icons for those form/es without their own icons (e.g. Surfing and Flying Pikachu, Z-move Marshadow, etc.)...

Do note that you should compare the details with the original/untouched 3DS icons because most of the icons there might lost some details during the conversion process to match the 3 palettes... For the custom icons, kindly ask the artists for the detailed version...

I also suggest that you make another thread in the Art Studio section for the icons to separate the topic discussion of this development from icon-related discussions...

Last edited:
Years
Some hacks are already using it lol.
I have been really busy, my PC needed some repair and I get a hard cold, so still couldn't finish it :/
I was hoping to post again just when finished it, but knowing that some people may want this, I fell the need to post the changes that I have made so far in this "project":

First of all, I recommend using this table now:
Spoiler:

Some bytes changes:
0x08F154 = C9
0x08D1B0 = C6
7D F7 04 FF in 0x08AB94

Also, you should slightly alter this palette:
003EE008
Adding E71C and FF7F in the last two slots.
Why?
Spoiler:

This should fix the yellow box and apply pals in objects for trainer card. (altough it shouldn't read, because icons here are tiles, not obj)
And for now I should be doing what thedarkdragon11 advised me and creating a thread in Art Studio.
Sorry for taking too long to complete this and here is a screenshot because everyone like screens.

Spoiler:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years

Yeah this is a fantastic hack. All of mine from Gens 1-4 have second frames, and I'm working on Gen 5 now. Most of the current ones I have done have palettes that are OK, but there are quite a few pokemon with bad ones, so extending the number of palettes is amazing, I really like your work.

If this is all complete for Fire Red and Emerald without any bugs I'm happy to start recoloring my Icon Sprites and you can too of course (maybe we could split it up by generation) to make sure we're getting every Pokemon onto a palette that suits the Gen 6+ Icons.

One thing I'd recommend is fiddling with the Dark Pink for Slowbro, and the Dark Purple for Gengar, the contrast looks a bit too high.

Last edited:
Years
I haven't updated this thread for a time, this is mostly because I have get in more important projects, but I'm still going to finish 12Pals.

I wasn't planning to update this today, but I guy asked if this is bug-free and I feel a little bad for let the things this way, mainly because I have done some fixes one or two months ago and didn't even post thinking to do something better after. Red Chapter using this is one of the reasons why I need to update this, even with these temporary fixes.
Also, I have to update the OP and the instructions to use the 12Pals, but now I don't have time for it, I will try to do it tomorrow.
These NEED to be used with the pal tags: C0/C1/C2/C3/C4/C5/C8/CB/CC/CD/CE/CF (I think this ones are the ones that I used in the OP, but I'm not sure.

And the temporary fixes are here:
Spoiler:

MrDollSteak

Formerly known as 11bayerf1
Years
It's been a long time, but I've finally inserted this and have been having a fiddle. I seem to be having bugs with Palette 7 and 8. Where anything that uses those indexes is messed up in the PC. Also I still have the 'Mark' palette bug, where the Pokemon's Front Sprite is loaded into the palette of the box, and vice versa (this is the same thing that happens with palettes 7 and 8 (they load the Pokemon's Front Sprite palette).

I'm attempting to solve this.
OK. So it seems that that 'Mark' bug is caused specifically by the change put at 8D1B0. So if you're not using 12 Palettes, you can just keep it at CE.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 20, 2021
How do we do with the tools after adding the palettes ? Will advanced icon editor detect the new palettes ?

edit: I changed some pokemon palette entries (at 0x3d3e80), I made a test with "04" on bulbasaur to give him the palette 4, then I've changed the ini file of advanced icon editor, but it said the palettes are invalid !
How do we do ? isn't there another tool that can support the additional palettes ?

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen May 20, 2021
Nobody ?
I finally figured out how to add the icons with NSE but it's not convenient at all, the plugin doesn't load the good palette automatically, I have to change the palette offset manually.

Any tool or advice ?

Years
  • Seen May 29, 2019
I'm interested in implementing this using the pokeemerald disassembly at some point in the future. Do you think it would be doable to create an icon for each shiny pok?mon using the current 12 palettes you have?

Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 5, 2019
i made 8 palette from scratch and i'm coloring one by one all the icons to resemble as much as possible the original coloration from US/UM. Those were the progress i made so far, feel free to edit/continue!
Ps i'm interested to make shiny icons too, so less palette we use for regular icons, more there will be the possibilities for better shines!
t2G3IMf.png

Spoiler:

Last edited:
Years
This is simply epic!
How I find the updated icons for all mons?
I just wanna insert in my project. I have another question: its is possible expand more than 12 palettes or this is the limit?

Back